Is anyone else amazed at the e1e-kl4 / tw4 light

blacksmithtech

Newly Enlightened
I had to post about this light. It's my main EDC and I am still amazed at the amount of light I get out of such a small package. My wife hit me up for a cr123 batt for her camera and out of curiosity I popped the old one into the tw4 - worked like a charm. I have had it running for a half hour on the desk and it still hurts the eyes to look at. It's like magic , am I the only one who totaly digs this light??

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I love this combination. I have to say it is my one single favorite light. "I" find it much easier to carry than an L4 I guess because I prefer to drop in pocket instead of clip to pocket.

GregR

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is anyone else amazed at the e1e-kl4 / tw4 lig

Is the tw4 simply an e1e with the KL4 bezel on it? Will the e1e drive the KL4 without any further modifications?

JK

GeoffChan

Enlightened

its nice seeing the word "torch" being used in the right context /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yep, a TW4 is just an E1e, clickie and KL4 in one package.

Dan can't sell this because someone chucked a spaz about it.

Geoff

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool. How bright is this, compared to an actual L4 or an E2e w/ KL4 on it? Is it brightness, runtime, or both that you're trading off by going to just one 123A?

My Arc LS version .9 (!!!) is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I've never been a fan of the E1. But, E1+KL4 sounds like a nice solution, and I can retire my old Arc with it. In fact, I haven't bought a light in a while, and this sounds like a good candidate for the next one!

Joe

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

My KL4 is significantly dimmer when used when I only run it off 1 cell. Maybe I have a high Vf KL4? I prefer the 2 cell body and extra brightness.

JediKnife

Newly Enlightened

I hope that eventually SF will come out with a very small (not L1 size) single cell LED light, about the size of the e1e, with the HA finish and such. I like the size of the e1e, and the price (compared to Arc 4+), but I'm incandescents are yesterday's technology. I might eventually get an Arc 4, if the company ever produces a/the standard model.

JK

Al_Havemann

Enlightened

I have a KL4 with several barrels - great little light. With a Vital Gear 1x123 tuba and a Mag pocket clip it's about as small and bright a combo as it gets.

Hers a link back to another post with pictures.

AL

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=LED&Number=503380&Forum=,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=502425&Search=true&where=&Name=2310&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post503380

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very slick -- how does one get in touch with Vital Gear? Couldn't find it through web search, too many irrelevent hits

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I really like the E1e/KL4 combination, but I prefer it with a twistie, not a clicke. It seems that it is too small for a clicke when I'm using it. Just my $0.02.

-Mike

batterystation

Enlightened

What Dan and I discovered in running the TW4 against the Arc LSH light was that the TW4 ran much more efficiently than the Arc. The Arc cooked red hot and put out 1 watt of light where the TW4 ran cool (under-driven) and put out something like 2.5 watts of light. So you got more light and better battery life since you were not converting all that battery juice to heat. Killer combination. This is now my EDC.

DumboRAT

Enlightened

My "TW4" is my primary EDC -- for the purpose of having a bright area light in a relatively small "watch pocket" package, it's really near-unbeatable when combined with its run-time.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=374761&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

There's alternatives that will run brighter or longer (and I confess to having as well as loving these lights also, and that I will take them along with me in substitute of the TW4 when I need those specific parameters of performance), no doubt about that, but overall, the TW4 setup is just a very, very usable light.

Allen
aka DumboRAT

14C

Enlightened

The E1e/KL4 does not put out the same amount of light as the L4 or E2/KL4...it seems...but to the naked eye (mine) it is difficult to see the difference...admittedly I switch configs...and do not have the parts to do a side x side.

The runtime is going to be less.

However, it is s slick combination and I do not know why Surefire has not glommed onto it other than they want to be a "Tactical" supplier rather than become known as a supplier to the peasants...

Nothing against SureFire..for sure..but if you go browse the site they are gearing even more towards Spec OP..LEO sales these days.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast

My KL4 turns a very bad green color when on 1 cell... Im almost convinced it's a bad KL4...

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
MTFD17 said:
My KL4 turns a very bad green color when on 1 cell... Im almost convinced it's a bad KL4...

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine turns slightly green if compared to the 2 cell setup too. Not an ugly color, just slightly greenish.
But I still like the size especially with a Vital Gear 123. You will find them on e-bay, a regular member here jcciv offers them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

14C

Enlightened

Mine still puts out a white light with the same beam and not a lot of diff in the light...maybe if i run the batt down it'll change...

I guess I won the lottery...sorry

14C

Enlightened

FYI I just changed it within 10 seconds and compared the L4 to the TW4....I also compared it to my KL1..not objective...I admit