Maximum Flood - for inspection of house with no electricity and boarded up windows

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
Looking for something that will make a pitch black room feel totally lit up. I have the Surefire Stiletto Pro and love it and it is good enough, but assuming size and cost is not much of an issue, what would you recommend to be able to go into a house with boarded up windows, no electricity, and make everything light up evenly?

boo5ted

Enlightened
Pretty much any triple/quad emitter light will do what you're asking. Plenty to choose from in CR123A, 16340, 18350 or 18650 cell formats.

jrgold

Enlightened
Malkoff Wildcat would be an option.

This. i restore fire damaged houses, same scenario as what you described. The wildcat is exactly what i use. I pair it with an md4 body, which is big enough to be used for self defense if necessary. A headlamp also really comes in handy, i use an armytek tiara pro for my headlamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
This. i restore fire damaged houses, same scenario as what you described. The wildcat is exactly what i use. I pair it with an md4 body, which is big enough to be used for self defense if necessary. A headlamp also really comes in handy, i use an armytek tiara pro for my headlamp.

Funny, that's exactly what I'm using this for, to inspect a few fire damaged houses. I'll keep an eye out for it on their site, they are sold out for now.

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much any triple/quad emitter light will do what you're asking. Plenty to choose from in CR123A, 16340, 18350 or 18650 cell formats.
I see a lot of options for triple and quad emitters, how would the flood compare to the Malkoff with the flood option? I'm new to all this, have been doing a ton of research the last few days but still learning..

boo5ted

Enlightened
I see a lot of options for triple and quad emitters, how would the flood compare to the Malkoff with the flood option? I'm new to all this, have been doing a ton of research the last few days but still learning..

Sorry couldn't tell you, never had a Malkoff.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
What form do you want? Headlamp, handheld, stand alone? For something to set down look at some of the light boxes from streamlight. They are great on fire scenes. Otherwise there are many floody or mules out there. Zebralight is a good place to start.

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
handheld most likely is the best option since it has more versatility. I would consider going up to a soda can flashlight form factor. This is mostly something I would leave in my car and use when needed so having the smallest size isn't as important. I also like to spend money on good quality gadgets so am loving this forum...pretty sure I will end up spending a few thousand by the time I'm done here lol. So if there is a great option on the more expensive side of things I am ok with it. Mcgizmo for example. I'll check out zebra light and also do some more research before asking for more help, hadn't even heard of a Mule before.

What form do you want? Headlamp, handheld, stand alone? For something to set down look at some of the light boxes from streamlight. They are great on fire scenes. Otherwise there are many floody or mules out there. Zebralight is a good place to start.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If I need to light an entire space evenly, that's the place for a mule or COB emitter; Nebo's Big Larry 2 is just a giant 500-lumen COB flood that will easily fill a living room-sized space (and can be left at that output level without worrying about overheating.) $25 and commonly available at some hardware stores, so no worries if it takes some damage or gets lost.

jof2TXa.jpg

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
Doesn't need to be evenly, but imagine walking into a multi-room house that's boarded up so you want to see every area clearly, or be able to aim the light into an attic opening and see everything clearly. I will definitely look at mules and COB, sounds like it will light up like one of those old school flourescent lights that aimed at the ceiling of a room and lit everything up.

If I need to light an entire space evenly, that's the place for a mule or COB emitter; Nebo's Big Larry 2 is just a giant 500-lumen COB flood that will easily fill a living room-sized space (and can be left at that output level without worrying about overheating.) $25 and commonly available at some hardware stores, so no worries if it takes some damage or gets lost.

jof2TXa.jpg

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Acebeam X80GT. Small, compact, 4X18650's for super high capacity and long runtimes, a Massively wide beam that is pure flood, can run thousands and thousands of lumens nonstop without even breaking a sweat, has burst 32000 lumens for those few seconds you might need it, has a lower 200 lumen mode for close up work, can tailstand, build quality is impeccable, good warranty.

That would be my choice.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't need to be evenly, but imagine walking into a multi-room house that's boarded up so you want to see every area clearly, or be able to aim the light into an attic opening and see everything clearly. I will definitely look at mules and COB, sounds like it will light up like one of those old school flourescent lights that aimed at the ceiling of a room and lit everything up.

We had one of the iterations of This Streamlight when I was on the fire department. It was very effective. We had a couple of different models and generations but even the older ones with the large battery pack bases were so nice on scene- both interior and exterior operations.

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
I think that sounds like what I'm looking for as best and brightest, I'm going to order it or something very similar to it today. Then will look for a more compact less bright version for other uses.

Acebeam X80GT. Small, compact, 4X18650's for super high capacity and long runtimes, a Massively wide beam that is pure flood, can run thousands and thousands of lumens nonstop without even breaking a sweat, has burst 32000 lumens for those few seconds you might need it, has a lower 200 lumen mode for close up work, can tailstand, build quality is impeccable, good warranty.

That would be my choice.

jrgold

Enlightened
I think that sounds like what I'm looking for as best and brightest, I'm going to order it or something very similar to it today. Then will look for a more compact less bright version for other uses.

just throwing one more option out there. A high cri mule noctigon kr4 is very bright and pocketable. Like me, i'm sure you take a lot of photos in the burned houses. A high cri light will render colors and tones better, neutral tint also works well. I have an x80gt too, super fun light, but i have never brought it into a fire job because it's not pocketable (except for a large jacket pocket). I often need to use my hands for something and there's not a lot of places to set stuff down in burned out houses without it getting covered in ash and soot

candlepowerlover

Newly Enlightened
Yeah those look very impressive and probably overkill for what I need in this situation.

We had one of the iterations of This Streamlight when I was on the fire department. It was very effective. We had a couple of different models and generations but even the older ones with the large battery pack bases were so nice on scene- both interior and exterior operations.