LAPD Spyderco

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I were to guess it would be the Spyderco police. I could be wrong. But that seems to be a standard issue for a lot of departments.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never heard of a official LAPD Spyderco, though I am sure lots of LAPD cops carry privately purchased Spydercos as is the case with cops everywhere. Considering that LAPD did away with large metal flashlights to keep them from being used as weapons following an incident in 2004, I would be surprised if the LAPD issued knives to rank and file officers.

BTW, here's some info on the Pelican 7060 flashlight developed for the LAPD in 2007 to replace their issued Streamlight SL-20's and other large metal flashlights:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/about...lican--roll-out-new-revolutionary-flashlight/

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
I would be surprised to learn of a large agency issuing knives to officers. There may be several different kinds from a list of "you're allowed to carry this".

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
LAPDonline has no official knife listed. Only mention of a knife listed at all is in the dive team and it's just a holster.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Never heard of a official LAPD Spyderco, though I am sure lots of LAPD cops carry privately purchased Spydercos as is the case with cops everywhere. Considering that LAPD did away with large metal flashlights to keep them from being used as weapons following an incident in 2004, I would be surprised if the LAPD issued knives to rank and file officers.

BTW, here's some info on the Pelican 7060 flashlight developed for the LAPD in 2007 to replace their issued Streamlight SL-20's and other large metal flashlights:

https://www.pelican.com/us/en/about...lican--roll-out-new-revolutionary-flashlight/
Not to drift OT but, what flashlight are they issued now? Also, what do you think became of all the metal lights?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to drift OT but, what flashlight are they issued now? Also, what do you think became of all the metal lights?

I don't know, maybe a later generation of the pelican light? I would guess that whatever old metal lights were turned in would have eventually sold off at auction or just scrapped.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be surprised to learn of a large agency issuing knives to officers. There may be several different kinds from a list of "you're allowed to carry this".
Speaking as someone from the Uk where guns and knives are not in general circulation; if the LAPD issue them with guns, what's the problem with knives?
P

GrizzlyAdams

Enlightened
Speaking as someone from the Uk where guns and knives are not in general circulation; if the LAPD issue them with guns, what's the problem with knives?
P

Just a WAG: Any weapon issued to an officer would require training, certification, keep track of its use etc.

By not issuing a knife the agency doesn't have to do any of that. But I don't work for LAPD so they might have their own reasons.

The Hawk

Enlightened
As a retired Law Enforcement Officer, I can tell you that our department never issued knives to any Officer. I do not know of any department that does. However, they did allow us to carry them, as did every department I worked with.

Reactions: DRW

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was issued a kabar marlinspike when i joined the coast guard with no training, and no caveats. i was issued a barlow knife with a serial number hand engraved on it when i became a cop, and was told that's the only knife you will carry. being the consummate pain in the *** that i was, i clipped a spyderco police (before it was called the police) in my trauma plate pocket of my bullet resistant vest, then i started carrying benchmade and microtech autos. i still have that barlow knife untouched since the day it was issued in 1989. i guess i should oil it...

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Late to the party (as usual) and not LAPD but I have several friends that work and worked for that agency. LAPD does not have a policy per se on the carrying of any knife, however, their weapons policy does not cover the use of a knife in any situation. Therefore any knives carried are viewed as tools. Any use of of the knife as a weapon would be out of policy and would result in disciplinary action and potential criminal charges against the officer (and if you don't think LAPD wouldn't burn one of it's own for the sake of political correctness you need to flush out your headgear). All of my friends carry (or carried) some kind of folder on duty; usually with blade lengths of 3" or less. Two carried higher end knives - Benchmade and Spyderco. Three carried some kind of cheap folder because they didn't care if it got broken or lost. One carried Kershaw and the last carried an Emerson (he was SWAT). Again, all of these were tools for daily duty use.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Ive carried a spyderco police in a half serrated blade since 2006 on duty. Its a great knife, gone through a lot of pocket clips. I dont think I ever saw it as a defensive knife, lord knows it could be used as such. I have used it mostly to cut window patch for business owners who have had their businesses broken into. Great knife though.

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
Ive carried a spyderco police in a half serrated blade since 2006 on duty. Its a great knife, gone through a lot of pocket clips. I dont think I ever saw it as a defensive knife, lord knows it could be used as such. I have used it mostly to cut window patch for business owners who have had their businesses broken into. Great knife though.
I carried this Endura for most of my career and never saw it as a weapon. It got used for a million an one things, sometimes even as a knife;)

Attachments

• W9Fob4m[1].jpg
    W9Fob4m[1].jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 79

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kept a Barlow in my tool box for years along with a Camillus. Opener came in handy for popping bottle caps, a thing of the past now.
Screenshot_20230429-062426.png

Later the P-38 became soldiers choice for opening C-ration cans. They could also be used to set a carburator idle.

Last edited:

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think navy seals really used this one. But it has navy seal written on it, well actually it has a navy seal on it. Can't really get a decent picture of it. Did you ever find an answer red?

F811EF77-AE3C-4CFC-B07D-52651269B53B.jpeg