Surefire 8X

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So just picked one up not really sure why lol. Ok so yes I know the stock battery sucks and I know people make adapters to run a 18650. My question is can I just run a 18650 with a spacer and be done or does something also need to be done with the switch.

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a stream light stinger battery. I am currently using one now in a 8NX.
I also bought an adapter to hold one 18650. I am using that in my other 8NX

FYI...Lumensfactory makes the only LED to fit the 8 series that I know of. Mine works very well.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
As NR stated you can use a Streamlight Stinger battery, you need both + and - contacts at the bulb end of the battery so a standard 18650 cannot be used.

Options.

50026804222_7fdb34470b_c.jpg

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Certain models of the Stinger Batteries are a bit too short to allow constant on when the bezel is tightned all the way. I found 2 nickels wrapped in electrical tape and trimmed round fits perfect for a spacer.

If going the Stinger battery route, the Empire 3000mah Nimh battery, usually found at battery junction, is the best available. The beam is much brighter and whiter than even a fresh B90. The X80 draws around 2 amps, and I did a runtime test once and the light ran 1hr 30min approx, so the rating is legit.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Oh. The positive/negative needs to be on same end. Really? Ok so I cannot just use a 18650 with a battery spacer. It has to be a special spacer. Thanks guys. Stinger it is when I need one.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You can use a stream light stinger battery. I am currently using one now in a 8NX.
I also bought an adapter to hold one 18650. I am using that in my other 8NX

FYI...Lumensfactory makes the only LED to fit the 8 series that I know of. Mine works very well.

I saw the lumensfactory led. It's listed at 800 lumens.Does it look like that to you?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the lumens factory led. It's listed at 800 lumens.Does it look like that to you?

No, I'd say it's just under 600 lumens, that's because it only runs at 800 lumens if powered by 9v.

I'd rather of had an adaptor that accepts 2 x 18500 batteries instead of 1 x 18650, there is enough length in the adaptor if it was machined differently.

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just found none of these and upgraded with the LF LED. I can't confirm the brightness because the battery I have hold the charge for about 2 minutes and I'm not sure if it's getting full power.
I do have one of the 18650 adapters with the McClicky switch on the way.