The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what was your first led light

Default what was your first led light

what was your first led flashlight? mine was a 3 aa streamlight led light it was 3 aa cells . it was my dream to get we drove all the way to the miltary store. when i got home i tried it. it had the uglyiest led color was greenish. and im not picky about led tint
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: what was your first led light

My first LED light was this "tiny" plastic 2/3x AA clip-light that my great-uncle got me for my birthday when I was maybe 10. It was instantly one of my favorite things ever as I always loved flashlights (though didn't reach True Enlightenment until only a few years ago). It was actually awesome, I NEED to find that one of these days. Funny because I have NEVER thought of this light in like the last decade. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.....

But I put that on everyone. Went right on my cap guns for 'war games' with my brother, all kinds of time clipped (very awkwardly) to my hats during manhunt....

First real LED light was the Eagle Tac G25C2 mkII circa 2015, bought for my AR-15. Turns out I had been really missing out on flashlight tech, and that's the light that sent me down the wormhole to this here Raggie thread!
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011
    List of my lights!

Flashaholic*

NiteEyez LED drop-in for AA Mini Maglite, and Maglite's original first LED drop-in modules.

Modded minimag by myself with diy lambda pill , than Dexlight x1.
    Mike
    My flashlight is bigger than yours...

My first "real" LED light was probably the ArcMania Super MJ LED upgrade for Mini Maglight Flashlight that I bought from Lighthound back in 2007. I upgrade all my minimags at the time, and I now keep those flashlights in each my cars (with Energizer Lithium batteries).

But back in 2003 I was buying 3mm and 5mm white LEDs for doing mods. I used the 3mm ones for a drop-in mod on the minimags (before I bought the above). I once modified an incandescent Black Diamond headlamp (running on 3 AAs) with like dozen or more 5mm white LEDs. LOL
    Last edited by bcm00re; 06-23-2020 at 12:24 AM.

Inova X5 paid waaaaay to much for it at a pawn shop lol
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic

Surefire L4 Lumamax. The original 'Wall of Light'. Still have it, resides in the living room.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    lol you deserve combat pay for that one. its crazy how much lednlights have improved
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

CMG infinity. single aa cell. single small led. probably 5 lumens.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    CMG infinity. single aa cell. single small led. probably 5 lumens.
    i wanted one of these so badly.

Coast HP7 showed me LED flashlights had become brighter than a minimag. My first LED light was an LED Lenser tri max that boasted 10 lumens (and had a near purple mickey mouse head silouette beam). It was not brighter than a minimag.
    Soon after I had a 2D LED Maglite and an Energizer hard case.

Soon after that I discovered CPF and my wallet is just now recovering……
    John 3:16

It’s been a while since this topic and/or extremely similar has come up. Thanks for the memories! I get to relive them every time.
    Year 2001, I was night staff supervisor at a secure JCAHO facility for court ordered extreme at risk teens. I bought a Brinks led light with rear clicky. I still have the light; I think it used two AA. I used mouth hold a lot. I still do, but now with D4V2 quad W2. After four years of mega overtime work at that facility, I invested most all of my pay in commodities at near two decade lows. I was able to retire at age 45 when that commodity suddenly spiked to near 30 year highs. I will have to search my storage for that light and re-post another photo of it. Thanks again, it was a nice trip down the lane!
    Think of how hostile the average surface of the earth is, and realize half of the surface of the earth is more hostile than that.

Ok, I dug it up from my storage. Pic, alongside Imalent MS03. Guess which one is around 10,000 lumens burst turbo, and which one is maybe 50 lumens max, but for long runtime.

Flashaholic*

CMG Infinity.I bought the red LED model first but the standard white model is what sold me. I sat the light bezel down on my dresser but forgot to turn it off,the next morning it was still going "strong". The output is of course anemic and the tint is terrible but coming from a world of incans it amazed me at the time.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Great thread, Richbuff is quite right, been a while - I'll probably remember a different light than last time.

The first LED light I bought was an ASP Sapphire. Very bright blue beam - probably around 1999 - 2000. The first white led light was a CMG sonic (Single 5mm white led - pretty unreliable and verging on the blue) - replaced it with an ARC AAA soon afterwards!

i recall reading a popular mechanics or science magazine about leds. at that point i wanted one so badly but im poor so i knew it would take a while to afford one? ps before leds my fav light was a 2 aa incan maglite i was so prould of this light

Quote Originally Posted by Nyctophiliac View Post
    Great thread, Richbuff is quite right, been a while - I'll probably remember a different light than last time.

The first LED light I bought was an ASP Sapphire. Very bright blue beam - probably around 1999 - 2000. The first white led light was a CMG sonic (Single 5mm white led - pretty unreliable and verging on the blue) - replaced it with an ARC AAA soon afterwards!
    Same light from four years ago: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post4635334

Fenix PD22 200 lumen. A gift from my Mom. Still have it, still use it.

Surefire G2L. Horrible tint but a huge upgrade Lumens wise from my Incan mini mag

Unenlightened

It was probably a cheap keychain button-cell light. My first actual led flashlight was an Inova X1.

Either the Civictor or the Huntlight FT02X. Can't remember which I got first.
    If we could get everyone in the world to close their eyes and imagine world peace for an hour, think about how serene it would be until the looting started. -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    NiteEyez LED drop-in for AA Mini Maglite, and Maglite's original first LED drop-in modules.
    Quote Originally Posted by sp5it View Post
    Modded minimag by myself with diy lambda pill , than Dexlight x1.
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    I remember buying an Inova and couple of Mini-mag drop-ins soon after doing a Mini-Mag resistor/LED mod.

I hadn't thought of those in years.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
    I got nothing else to say...

Mine was a keychain light from Sharper Image... kinda looked like a big silver bullet... super dim, blue LED and used 3 watch batteries... I thought it was pretty cool and ended up putting a different LED in it from Radio Shack.

My first real LED light was a Fenix 2xAA... still have it around, but never really use it... shortly after bought a Quark 2xAA Tactical with a Neutral... still use it, but with 1x14500... love the rear clicky with momentary and the simple two-mode interface.

Another very early light was my Jetbeam E3P with warm emitter... solid chunk of stainless steel and momentary switch... still resides on my nightstand.

I carried and lost two or three CMG Infinities back when I was in the Army, in the 90s. They were futuristic compared to the plastic angle lights.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

I just signed up, actually looking to purchase my first real light. I'm into knives and whiskey, lights seem like a good progression of obsession.

This thread has me thinking - I better make my first light a good one for future threads like this..

I believe my first was a Malkoff drop in for my Surefire 6P.

Rigid Industries Halo.

empty pr base with 3 nichia 5600mcd whites and a 3.3ohm resistor.
    yes i sacrificed a working bulb to make it.
    worked well in anything with 3 cells.
    even a generator light.
    had to have been early 90's and a guy at hamvention had bags of 100 $5 /bag.
    he wondered why he sold out so fast.
    i got 4 bags.
    they got passed around our group and suddenly every flashlight was a led .

Flashaholic*

Trip down memory lane. Not sure, but I think is was the Photon micro-light, circa 2000. There were also those early, multi-LED flashlights from online retailer, glow-bug. I never understood why those lights did not include reflectors... A few years down the road I think, there was the ARC. Anybody remember the frenzy over those? I still have the CPF editions...
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

I thought i had the best flashlight in town, with a Led Lenser P7. Then i discovered the world of LED flashlights, and so much stuff to keep a person well and truly broke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast