what was your first led light

raggie33

*the raggedier*
what was your first led flashlight? mine was a 3 aa streamlight led light it was 3 aa cells . it was my dream to get we drove all the way to the miltary store. when i got home i tried it. it had the uglyiest led color was greenish. and im not picky about led tint

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED light was this "tiny" plastic 2/3x AA clip-light that my great-uncle got me for my birthday when I was maybe 10. It was instantly one of my favorite things ever as I always loved flashlights (though didn't reach True Enlightenment until only a few years ago). It was actually awesome, I NEED to find that one of these days. Funny because I have NEVER thought of this light in like the last decade. I'm sure I still have it somewhere.....

But I put that on everyone. Went right on my cap guns for 'war games' with my brother, all kinds of time clipped (very awkwardly) to my hats during manhunt....

First real LED light was the Eagle Tac G25C2 mkII circa 2015, bought for my AR-15. Turns out I had been really missing out on flashlight tech, and that's the light that sent me down the wormhole to this here Raggie thread!

sp5it

Enlightened
Modded minimag by myself with diy lambda pill , than Dexlight x1.
Mike

bcm00re

Newly Enlightened
My first "real" LED light was probably the ArcMania Super MJ LED upgrade for Mini Maglight Flashlight that I bought from Lighthound back in 2007. I upgrade all my minimags at the time, and I now keep those flashlights in each my cars (with Energizer Lithium batteries).

But back in 2003 I was buying 3mm and 5mm white LEDs for doing mods. I used the 3mm ones for a drop-in mod on the minimags (before I bought the above). I once modified an incandescent Black Diamond headlamp (running on 3 AAs) with like dozen or more 5mm white LEDs. LOL

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Coast HP7 showed me LED flashlights had become brighter than a minimag. My first LED light was an LED Lenser tri max that boasted 10 lumens (and had a near purple mickey mouse head silouette beam). It was not brighter than a minimag.
Soon after I had a 2D LED Maglite and an Energizer hard case.

Soon after that I discovered CPF and my wallet is just now recovering……

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been a while since this topic and/or extremely similar has come up. Thanks for the memories! I get to relive them every time.
Year 2001, I was night staff supervisor at a secure JCAHO facility for court ordered extreme at risk teens. I bought a Brinks led light with rear clicky. I still have the light; I think it used two AA. I used mouth hold a lot. I still do, but now with D4V2 quad W2. After four years of mega overtime work at that facility, I invested most all of my pay in commodities at near two decade lows. I was able to retire at age 45 when that commodity suddenly spiked to near 30 year highs. I will have to search my storage for that light and re-post another photo of it. Thanks again, it was a nice trip down the lane!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I dug it up from my storage. Pic, alongside Imalent MS03. Guess which one is around 10,000 lumens burst turbo, and which one is maybe 50 lumens max, but for long runtime.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMG Infinity.I bought the red LED model first but the standard white model is what sold me. I sat the light bezel down on my dresser but forgot to turn it off,the next morning it was still going "strong". The output is of course anemic and the tint is terrible but coming from a world of incans it amazed me at the time.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, Richbuff is quite right, been a while - I'll probably remember a different light than last time.

The first LED light I bought was an ASP Sapphire. Very bright blue beam - probably around 1999 - 2000. The first white led light was a CMG sonic (Single 5mm white led - pretty unreliable and verging on the blue) - replaced it with an ARC AAA soon afterwards!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i recall reading a popular mechanics or science magazine about leds. at that point i wanted one so badly but im poor so i knew it would take a while to afford one? ps before leds my fav light was a 2 aa incan maglite i was so prould of this light

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, Richbuff is quite right, been a while - I'll probably remember a different light than last time.

The first LED light I bought was an ASP Sapphire. Very bright blue beam - probably around 1999 - 2000. The first white led light was a CMG sonic (Single 5mm white led - pretty unreliable and verging on the blue) - replaced it with an ARC AAA soon afterwards!

Same light from four years ago: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...-you-started&p=4635334&viewfull=1#post4635334

Latest posts