Flashlight that only works when you hold the button down

lLcooljef

Newly Enlightened
Does anybody know of a flashlight that only lights when the button is held down? I'm thinking, that if it exists, it would be great solution for my little girl who is scared of monsters at night.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know of a flashlight that only lights when the button is held down? I'm thinking, that if it exists, it would be great solution for my little girl who is scared of monsters at night.

New lights that feature Anduril or Narsil firmware electronic switch can be programmed with 'Momentary On' mode, just the thing you are looking for.

anduril-ui.png

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I was once a little girl like that! check these out :D

push-button.jpg
[/IMG]

any one of these will do the press button light thing as well as just On when you slide the switch all the way. you can pick them up fairly easily on ebay and the small red one will take a protected 18360 and a 3W led drop in too!
hope that helps! xx

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS lights can be programmed to True Momentary.
A Surefire Z41 tailcap will fit many P60 based lights from Surefire, Malkoff, Elzetta and many others, when loosened a 1/2 turn will give True Momentary. Tighten them for constant on.
P

Edit: Sorry I didn't notice that it was for a child.
Unless you are Bill Gtes, please ignore my suggestions.
P

Last edited:

LRJ88

Enlightened
The Surefire Tactician comes with a momentary tailcap, also a not too shabby low mode that you access by simply unscrewing the head a little.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Energizer makes one called "touch tech" where when you wrap your hand around the body of the light it turns on, when you release it cuts off. Perfect for little ones to use when afraid of the dark until they fall asleep and let go of it.

Runs on a pair of aa batteries so it's cheap to keep fed too. I got mine at WalMart but like $7 or so.

Welcome to the site cooljef

PS they also have a key chain version.

Last edited:
Moderaly priced Surefire GX with the momentary Tactical would fit the bill. You turn the switch to lock it on and press the switch for momentary on. I don't think the new G2X uses this switch. Maybe buy an old GX Tactical on eBay or from someone here.

thermal guy

Flashaholic

My little one uses a surefire GX 300 lumen model to keep the monsters at bay at night. You can screw the tailcap down for constant on but it's a press to light let go for off.Will save you a lot on batteries as well.

StagMoose

Enlightened
Surefire edcl1/2-t has a momentary only switch unless it is turned for constant.

It is a little tough to press for a strong four year old IME.

Enlightened
Someone posted how to make a mcclicky momentary only in a thread here. Very easy to do. Combine that with a really LLLL malkoff or something.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lmao. Got to love this place. There a little girl that's afraid of the dark and we're talking about modifying a mcclicky And posting schematics😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the press for momentary, twist for constant on lights can be made momentary only by adding some o-rings between the tail cap and battery tube preventing the tightening of the tail cap.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lmao. Got to love this place. There a little girl that's afraid of the dark and we're talking about modifying a mcclicky And posting schematics

The 'schematics' I posted is obviously for the Dad to use in programming for "momentary ON (actually, just 5 clicks from OFF), and once done in momentary mode, the little girl can use it!

...and when she out-grows it, she can take a look at the 'schematics' (as you term it) and learn the other modes, and become a flashaholic! LOL

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Wouldn't a little Peak Rotary light with the flood/diffused lens and High CRI LED be good? The twist switch is as easy as it gets, and now that I think about it, is more "Toy like" in operation versus a clicky. Plus she could easily get the desired level of light output by simply twisting and not having to deal with multiple clicks and mode jumping, or resorting to a single mode light which could end up being TOO bright.

It could also function as a little nightlight as well, well she can easily see it and know where it.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The 'schematics' I posted is obviously for the Dad to use in programming for "momentary ON (actually, just 5 clicks from OFF), and once done in momentary mode, the little girl can use it!

...and when she out-grows it, she can take a look at the 'schematics' (as you term it) and learn the other modes, and become a flashaholic! LOL

Lol. Yes. Yes she can. Good point

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Any of the press for momentary, twist for constant on lights can be made momentary only by adding some o-rings between the tail cap and battery tube preventing the tightening of the tail cap.

Thats what I was thinking as well.

As a side note I wish some of you were my father. I would have loved a surefire as a kid! :twothumbs

StagMoose

Enlightened
I keep giving my kids cheap flashlights and they keep losing them. They want my nice ones. I told them when they keep one around for a year then I'll consider it.