recomended bi-pin bulbs

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have really got stuck in to my incan collection of items and managed to mode my very old WE Eagle-2 light. (2x18650)

With the help of a component from FM, I can now use both, bi-pin bulbs (G4) in my focusable Eagle as well as the PE3853 bulbs.

My question is; I want to match a suitable set of bulbs to my existing Li-Ion cells.

My most favourite lights use 2x18650 protected cells of about 3000mAh capacity. My second most favourite lights use 3x18650 with the same.

Now that I can use the bi-pin WA and Philips bulbs in my many lights, which bulbs in the range of 20W to 30W would you suggest for both, the two cell and three cell variations.

After closer look at the tables, I know that in the two cell choices, these range from 5V to 7.4V. I would prefer ones that don't go poof too quickly and don't rely on soft start switches.

Same approach with the three cell set-ups.

btw, I use the Nitecore Intellicharger New i4

So, what would be your choices?...Thanks

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Novice,

I have this info printed from my first stint on here, that is a very long time ago.

I would like to narrow the choices down to what works best and is in the G4 bi-pin size.

I am running a WA 1160 in the light right now, seems to work fine except that it takes three or four clicks to get it going. (don't have a soft start switch for this light)

This is why I need expert advice on the best suitable bulbs for my set-up.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that, never heard of the WA1318U, will have to look this one up.
Is the 20W GE similar to the WA1111 (also 6V 20W) I still have five of these in my kit.

Tried the WA1160 in two lights and found that this bulb is reliable with AW's soft start switch but takes between two to six clicks with a regular clicky switch, not good on a camp trip or in emergencies.

Outcome of all this playing around is that I find the beam quality from the WE Eagle with its larger focusable head WA1111 bulb much nicer than from the D26 set up with the same bulb.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is example of G4 - 6 volt, 20 watt bulb.
Many other brands are also available.
Higher wattage such as 30 or 35 watts won't work with protected cells.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the WA1111 is a nice practical bulb, that is why you made this the standard in some of your Prince models.

I think that the G4 6V 20W is going to be quite popular in many of my 2x cell lights.

Pity about the WA1185 not being available, still have one left.

325addict

Enlightened
2-cell li-ion: WA1274 (more or less uses lamp at specs) or WA1111 (fairly overdriven)
3-cell li-ion: WA1166 (more or less uses lamp at specs) or WA1185 (fairly overdriven)

Or use the WA1336U as a low level 2-cell lamp: it has 6V / 4W rating at 525h of life. This leaves room for overdriving it to 7.2V without problems, life is around 40h then IIRC.

Last edited: