Most throw for under $100?

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
I work for the cable co. and sometimes work in the dark. I need a light that will allow me to luminate the powerlines as well as into peoples yards from the road with no problem. Im not conserned on size or type of batteries it runs on. Am I asking for to much from an LED? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

popsgee

Newly Enlightened
Checkout flashlightreviews.com
He has a great list of flashlights ordered by throw.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this has most throw under 10 bucks it will amaze you
105_0505.jpg

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
kandykane said:...light...to luminate the powerlines... Am I asking for to much from an LED?

Yes.

Use a UK 4AA AS2 as a minimum.
You'll need serious throw to illuminate power lines.
Lots of choices.

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
The light that im kinda looking at is the Pelican M8. Do you feel this would do the job or is there something better out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Just got my Space Needle II for $90.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to CPF and hold on to your wallet...

Electrolumens $59 mid-sized 3C cell direct drive would be an excellent choice. It's got an excellent throw, with good spill and claimed 8+ hours runtime. Stick some C nmh cells and you've got a workhorse.

The upcoming streamlight li-on rechargables look excellent, but I can't vouch for the throw.

If you didn't have to have an LED, Surefire E2E would fit the bill. Only one hour of runtime.

An Arc4+ second goes for $100 and has a decent throw, but will not be as bright the other choices. But it's the best light by a country mile. suitable for EDC.

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
I was trying to stick with an LED for the better run times. When I get called out in the middle of night, It can take up to an hour just to find where my problem is. Once located, another 1-6 depending on severity.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The Pelican M6 LED has a nice throw for under $50. I added a LuxIII at 700ma to a Pelican M6 Litium and was suprised at the light level. How high are the powerlines? The M8 might be just what you need, as the super tight beam has little spill to blind you in rain and misty conditions.

For sheer throw, you get an impressive amount from any of the mag conversions. For ease, adding an Epieon to a 3 D-Cell mag makes a good tight and bright spot.

Cy's suggestion for the Electrolumens light is even easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Daniel

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
make your own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a lux3 in a 3d mag (direct drive, or resistance if you like) will provide an amazinly powerful and long throwing beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Just for fun....

Start with minimag with favorite sandwich.

Remove the head from a C or D cell Maglight. Yeah, we know you have one, don't deny it.

Remove the head from the minimag, leaving it in candle mode.

Stick the minimag into the big reflctor.

I find I can get an amazingly concentrated spot that way, capable of (barely) illuminating the top of a palm tree 6 houses away.

Daniel

kandykane

Newly Enlightened
The power lines are anywhere from 20-40ft high. I want to be able to throw as far as possible so when putting up new lines I can make sure there are no obstacles in the way.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
make your own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

a lux3 in a 3d mag (direct drive, or resistance if you like) will provide an amazinly powerful and long throwing beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to go with what Roth said. And a very recent runtime test by Roy showed seven hours and fifty minutes till only half brightness which is still bright, with several more hours of very usable light thereafter. Also this is when leaving the light on steadily. If you turn it off just a few times during this period, the output will last much longer.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I just walked the neighborhood with my modded Pelican M6 (TX1K at 700ma). It easily lit the top of every tree, even across a divided street. I don't know if the stock PM6 LED is as bright.

Daniel

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag 2C fitted with 3 CR123 cells overdriving a 5 cell krypton bulb will give you an incredibly focussed and bright penetrating beam in a package you can easily tuck in your belt at the small of your back. Get a nice lens from flashlightlens for icing on the luminous cake.

Oh, and the whole deal will cost you about $20.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
If I were working at a job such as you discribe, I would have a rechargable flashlight with minimum of 15K candlepower such as the streamlight poly that can be had for ab out 80 bucks. I'd take the other 20 buck and purchase a Streamlight 4AA 7LED light from Costco for the longer duration close up work. You could also buy the streamlight piggy back charger and have an extra battery ready go go at all times. The charger will simply plug into your cars cigarette lighter.

I can pretty much guarantee you that you will find these lights and their combination use a pleasure and money well spent. Both are small for their purpose, well built quality, and extremely functional at bargain prices.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you're working on 40 foot powerlines and not towers, i'd say the Elektrolumens FT3C would be a nice choice..
it easily lights up powerlines here, not quite as well if there's a light attached tho.. if you need the light to be insulated instead of bare aluminum then you could try CPF-er Avusblue's hockey-tape wrap method.

the FT3C has a momentary on or twist for constant on.. it's the smallest 3C light available too, and mine gets 12 hours of bright light from alkalines.

the only thing is, it might not be bright enough to light up telephone wires on lamp posts.. altho mine puts out around 100 lumens and does a decent job.