Solar deck light batteries

johncran

Newly Enlightened
I just built a deck at my fishing camp and I want to use those solar post cap lights. What type of battery should I use for wintertime as I won't be there. .....or should I just take the batteries out??

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just built a deck at my fishing camp and I want to use those solar post cap lights. What type of battery should I use for wintertime as I won't be there. .....or should I just take the batteries out??

Use the battery type the solar lights have in them as the solar cell has a charging circuit set for a particular battery type/voltage.
You can use NIMH instead of Nicad but it may not have the same longevity.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could remove cells from the lights over winter, although with good-quality NiCd or NiMH cells and proper charging circuits in the lights, should generally be OK. I have a solar planter which has been running for years on the same two NiMH AA, including some winter days down to -30C and below. Also, a small spotlight with 3xAA NiCd which has been good over the last couple of years. Some solar lighting uses Li-ion (such as 18650 cell) which I would not subject to cold weather much below freezing regardless of what they might claim. I think Lithium Iron Phosphate LiFePO4 might be OK but check first if it's a factor. Dave