Newborn light recommendation

Rapunkill

Newly Enlightened
I have a newborn and am using a sofirn Sp40 when changing diapers at night. But even at it's lowest setting, which should be around 5lm, it's still a bit too bright. So I was hoping to find something like a lantern or headlamp that could be used at night. Either very low lumen or red light or both. Ideally with hi CRI to evaluate his skin tone and poop color.

I want a justification to buy a BLF LT1 but I know it'll take too long to get here and haven't found other lanterns that would check all the boxes so another headlamp might be easier to find.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Can buy directly (near/around Ottawa) or online when it's fast (aka not coming from china, preferably Canada or US)
2) Budget: Up to $100. (But I might be convinced otherwise)
3) Format:
__x__I want a self-contained headlamp.
__x__I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
__x__I want a lantern/area light.
4) Size:I don't care.
5) Emitter/Light source: LED
6) Manufacturer: don't care
7) What power source: I intend to use 18650 cells or similar
7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option: No cradle, otherwise don't care
8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
__x__I'd like sub lumen to maintain night vision
__x__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
__x__I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
9) Flood vs Throw: flood, but flood angle doesn't matter
__x__All Flood
__x__Wide Flood
__x__Narrow Flood
9a) Distance: Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
10) Runtime: 90-120 minutes
11) Durability/Usage: Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
12) Switch Size, Type, and location: don't care.
13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection.:
-I want multiple light levels.
-I want sub lumen option (I'm currently using a sofirn sp40 and lowest setting (5lm) is still too bright)
14)Material/Finish/Coating: I don't care
15) Water resistance: not required
16) Storage conditions: in house

mbp1

Newly Enlightened
Armytek Wizard Pro Nichia, Zebralight H600fc, those would be my top choices for these parameters. Lumintop HL3A with SST-20 LEDs as a cheaper option.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for your guide, I don't think that your eyes are sensitive enough in low light conditions to take advantage of high CRI.
P

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
For a newborn just use a lamp with a 25 to 40 watt Incandescent bulb

I'm using a similar bedside lamp with a LIFX bulb turned down to 5% for late night nappy changes.

If I need to go to the kitchen to make formula etc I use a Zebralight SC64c LE on 0.05 lumens initially and then crank it up to 1.9 lumens.

H502pr, RRT01 and C01R are in the mail to replace SC64c LE for walking around in low light and checking on the baby.

But for nappy changes, I prefer enough light to see what I'm doing. A bedside lamp is easier.

325addict

Enlightened
Another example the Nitecore SRT7 serves most of the wishes. Goes down to 0.2 Lumens(!) but will blast over a thousand if needed. Has red, green and blue LEDs built in also. Comes with forward clicky and a very easy user interface with ONE selector-ring to quickly go trhrough all modes (and best of all: of course if you switch it off, and on later, it comes on in exactly the SAME mode as you switched it off last time!)

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for your guide, I don't think that your eyes are sensitive enough in low light conditions to take advantage of high CRI.
P

Even at 7L my eyes can tell the difference between hi CRI and not. Beside the point with this case however, due to the need to be thorough in cleaning/diapering the youngling, I would use a low wattage incandescent bulb as has been suggested.