Klarus        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Groundhog Day, you wake up back at the start with no lights - first purchase?

Default Re: Groundhog Day, you wake up back at the start with no lights - first purchase?

+

P60 light & all the different drop-ins to choose from

have fun

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ight-List-host

Default Re: Groundhog Day, you wake up back at the start with no lights - first purchase?

No. 8 batteries……interesting. Perhaps an 18650 in a sleeve could work? LifePo4 chemistry for a similar output?

If I woke up and had no flashlights I'd probably make one of those ghetto candles to suppliment my BiC lighter……until I could get to a store and buy a flashlight. Neat idea Alicia.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-03-2020 at 06:51 AM.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    No. 8 batteries……interesting. Perhaps an 18650 in a sleeve could work? LifePo4 chemistry for a similar output?

If I woke up and had no flashlights I'd probably make one of those ghetto candles to suppliment my BiC lighter……until I could get to a store and buy a flashlight. Neat idea Alicia.
    Thanks, and yes, I use 18650s to replace the No.8 batteries, by the time I`v added the protection circuit with a 10mm strip of kapton tape down the length and given it a color wrap and another clear wrap over that, it`s a little bigger than usual and fits most torches directly, for some larger barreled torches (even a No.8 would have rattled a bit in there), there`s a brand of cling flim that I buy and it`s inner tube is Exactly perfect for making an 18650 into a No.8 battery size even with the protection circuit

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightglass View Post
    Thank you for the follow-up, and I like how you've thought about your progression and using the solar lantern as a means to charge the Tip 2 if necessary.

Lanterns don't seem as discussed much but seem to offer high utility in certain situations.

Also... Where's the Fenix?! Mostly Nitecore so far haha
    In 2007, Fenix was the best. They had just replaced luxeon l.e.d.s in they're lights with the cree xr-e which was twice as efficient. Their P3D, L2D, L1D, and P2D were hard to beat. They could be locked out, they were short enough for pocket carry, the bodies were interchangeable and replaceable, and they were lithium compatible. You could saw one in half or deal with leaky batteries stuck in it by replacing the middle section for around $10. Fast forward to now, they had to deal with a lawsuit with surefire and radically changed their design. Now their lights have no lockout, are longer due to a side switch, the bodies aren't interchangeable, no replacement parts, lithium compatibility is hit or miss, and there are several companies that took their ideas and made even better lights. Olight improved on build quality, 4sevens added a sublumen low. Now we have Klaurus, Nitecore, and others that added more competition. Currently, I think Nitecore is probably the best for lumens to size ratio for a light. Makes sense to carry around a small edc that can do the most tasks. The Tip 2 goes from 1 to 720 lumens, is USB rechargeable, and has strong magnets so I can stick it to metal for hands free use. Fenix got me hooked, but there are several companies just as good now.

I'd definitely take this as a sign from the gods that I should own less stuff. I'd like to say that I'd just buy an HDS rotary and be done with it, but that seems unlikely.

Here's what I think I would go for (and hopefully stop after):

HDS Rotary CR123
    HDS Rotary 18650
    HDS Clicky CR123
    Malkoff MDC li-ion neutral
    Malkoff MD2 with M361N
    Zebralight SC64w HI
    Zebralight H600Fc
    Oveready Z70 host with SST20 P60vn
    Lumintop Tool AAA or 4/7 Preon
    Hello darkness my old friend,
    I've come to talk with you again...
    I liked neutral tints before they were cool.

I woke up today, and saw my shadow, so I bought this
    CopperGroundHogTool

click pic for video unboxing

Happy Interdependence Day!
    Last edited by jon_slider; 07-04-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Want to Buy Eye10 TiC (or I would trade my V10R Ti+ with 4500k 219b)

Easy, an old, beat up Surefire 6p. Get it, try it out, and then start finding all the options to upgrade it, either with junky but functional parts from China, or premium parts closer to home. Oveready drop in? Hot pink cerakote? You name it. Reminds me of a stock Chevy 350. You can leave it alone or you can start monkeying with it so it goes a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Since (according to the rules of this game) all of the classic vintage SureFire hosts are now discontinued, I would start with an order for a big box of Malkoff parts ... MD2 / MD3 / MD4 tubes, tailcaps, bezels, HD / WC / dropin light engines.

Yeah, that's the tough part about starting all over again! I got heavily into LEDs with Nitrolon and 6P hosts with Malkoff dropins. I'd have to find a new host or cough up a bit more to find old ones on eBay. No doubt I'd still buy all of my Elzetta lights again and another slew of Malkoff. If I couldn't access a bunch of old Surefire hosts I'd buy Malkoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Thanks, and yes, I use 18650s to replace the No.8 batteries, by the time I`v added the protection circuit with a 10mm strip of kapton tape down the length and given it a color wrap and another clear wrap over that, it`s a little bigger than usual and fits most torches directly, for some larger barreled torches (even a No.8 would have rattled a bit in there), there`s a brand of cling flim that I buy and it`s inner tube is Exactly perfect for making an 18650 into a No.8 battery size even with the protection circuit
    I have never seen a No. 8 battery, but the dimensions are supposed to be close to the same as a protected 21700.

EMISAR D4V2 XPL-HI 5000K
    MS18, X70, MS12, X80-GT, DX80, X45vn, k75, D18, MF01S, D4SV2 - My Lumen whore Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/c/FLASHAHOLICS_GB

Flashaholic

1. Surefire EDC L1T

2. Malkoff M61NL in either: MD2 hi/low ring, or a Malkoff 16650 or 16340 body with a VME. (or a 6p)

3. Hound dog 18650N

1. ZL SC64c
    2. Armytek barracuda nw.

those are the two lights that I use 90% of the time, they cover all of my lighting needs. I’ve had many surefires and HDS, but it’s always these two that I fall back to.
    Last edited by LGT; 07-10-2020 at 02:16 PM.

Emisar D4v2 or HDS Rotary.

The more of either I carry, the more I’m convinced I don’t need anything else.

The Zebralight SC64c LE is a great EDC, but a little basic with no whiz-bang to it. Too practical.

I guess it’d be those three, some headlamp like the Armytek Wizard, and then avoid the black hole that is collecting.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

I would have to start with the basics and get a light for the most important role IMO which is emergency/defensive. A high intensity single-output light for the bedside is a must. I would be on the hunt for an old surefire combatlight of some variety, or just any "tactical" (single-output) variant of any of their popular handhelds: 6PX Tactical, P3X Tactical, G2ZX, P2ZX, etc.

Flashaholic*

If I was starting over, I could skip over a whole bunch of lights that taught me something but don't get much use and go straight for the lights that provide me with the most utility.

If I just need a light, the light I grab the most often is the Streamlight Polytac. Excellent beam, good level spacing, awesome clip, and relatively indestructible. My only complaint is that it doesn't tailstand. So as my first purchase, I'd probably get the Streamlight Polytac X since it's basically the same thing, but can tailstand. I don't actually like the clip as much, but it's still a good clip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12