Groundhog Day, you wake up back at the start with no lights - first purchase?

Midnightglass

Newly Enlightened
It's Groundhog Day - you wake up suddenly way back at the beginning of your journey, with no lights but all of your knowledge and experience. All of today's technology and available products are available to you.

What do you buy first? What does your path forward look like?

nbp

Flashaholic
Interesting premise. Definitely starting out with an HDS Rotary. It is flexible enough to cover nearly all my needs and of the build quality I want. I could get by easily with that one light as I started to rebuild a collection.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since (according to the rules of this game) all of the classic vintage SureFire hosts are now discontinued, I would start with an order for a big box of Malkoff parts ... MD2 / MD3 / MD4 tubes, tailcaps, bezels, HD / WC / dropin light engines.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
UnObTanium Stepless Rotaries

9434848912_836ea4591b_c.jpg

EI7wyQR.jpg

tpghTVv.png

WhacGC5l.jpg

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a Nitecore UT32 headlight with a low temperature rated 18650 battery with USB charge port would cover most of my bases with one light. Has cool and neutral light and can be used as an angle head flashlight. The only thing I'd miss is a real low setting, but with 60 or 70 lumens lasting all night, I still won't have to deal with any battery changes in the dark. I could live with that.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd actually buy all the lights that I have now, but in a different order.
Start with an HDS and then fill in the gaps with some Malkoffs and more HDSs.
P

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like what I have, it's too bad there are not more high CRI options tho.

Midnightglass

Newly Enlightened
Definitely starting out with an HDS Rotary. It is flexible enough to cover nearly all my needs and of the build quality I want. I could get by easily with that one light as I started to rebuild a collection.

Kind of a high quality "do it all" edc choice, I like that. Use your knowledge to cut the chaff and go straight to what works for most of your needs.

What would be your next choice to fill in whatever gaps might exist with the HDS rotary?

I would start with an order for a big box of Malkoff parts ... MD2 / MD3 / MD4 tubes, tailcaps, bezels, HD / WC / dropin light engines.

Interesting, contrasting philosophy. Buy the modular parts to build whatever you need or want.

Really get to leverage your experience here, nice. What lights would you build first? What roles are most important to you?

UnObTanium Stepless Rotaries

Wow not sure what I'm looking at here, but beautiful. How could one go about mining for this unobtanium, is it possible?

I think a Nitecore UT32 headlight with a low temperature rated 18650 battery with USB charge port would cover most of my bases with one light.

Another solid do-it-all choice, maybe geared less for edc and more towards outright utility for your needs. Very interesting.

Thanks for the input so far. Let's keep em coming!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it could only be what lights are currently being offered, knowing what I know I'd head to Home Depot and buy Maglites. A 2c ML25, 3D ML300, a 2aaa minimag and a Solitaire.

Later I would buy 2 Elzetta Bones, a Bravo with hi/lo and an Alpha 415 with hi/lo.

Then I would get on the open web and find some of those PK Design Lab lights from 2014-2016, then some Pentagon classics. Maybe some incan E2's and at least one A2 with that ugly white LED ring.

Eventually I would probably go to eBay and find some Kel-Lites from the 70's a couple of SureFire G2x Pro 320's and some vintage lights from the 1920's forward and eventually end up with several hundred old light bulbs.

And definitely at least 3 Fenix E01's. If I had any money left a Malkoff MD2 hi/lo.

My Daily carry would still be a triple a light in one trouser pocket and a 1x123 in the other with a 2x123 near me.

Midnightglass

Newly Enlightened
I'd only buy 400 lights instead of 600

Hey a 33% reduction is nothing to sneeze at.

Also, 600? My wife would murder me. Probably with a heavy flashlight.

I'd actually buy all the lights that I have now, but in a different order.

Super interesting choice here, change nothing but the order of what you have. Must have a tight collection you're really happy with, so awesome.

I like what I have, it's too bad there are not more high CRI options tho.

This is why modding seems daunting yet so satisfying to me.

And agreed, I'm new and learning, but as I research lights, the variety of emitters offered stock often seems limited.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Interesting, contrasting philosophy. Buy the modular parts to build whatever you need or want.

Really get to leverage your experience here, nice. What lights would you build first? What roles are most important to you? ....

MD2 (primarily to run on 1x 18650) then MD3 (primarily to run on 2x AA) for first couple of hosts.

Sticking with "currently available" modules, first dropins would include M61NLL (18650) , M361N-LMH (18650) , and M31 (for 1x-2x AA setups)

And, of course, enough bezels / tailcaps / high-low rings and other parts (gaskets, O-rings, etc) to complete those builds.

Next order probably includes some MDC tubes and VME parts.

Next next order adds MD4 tube and HD / WC engines ....

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd buy an M361 in any flavor with an MD2 host and tricap. It would have saved me from buying so many other more expensive lights. If still buy others to mess around with (specifically some of Vinh's modded flooders)

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it could only be what lights are currently being offered, knowing what I know I'd head to Home Depot and buy Maglites. A 2c ML25, 3D ML300, a 2aaa minimag and a Solitaire.

Same here, Those would cover my needs fairly well.

Next on the list would be a tactical light, not sure what I would get. I have been wanting to try one of the Surefires with intellabeam, if not one of those, something from Malkoff or Elzetta.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I learned a lot from HDS lights but if I had to start again I'd skip over them and start with a MD2/MD3/MD4 and go crazy with Dropins.

scout24

Flashaholic
I think I'd re-start my from-ground-zero collection with an Oveready BOSS 70. (You know who you are, thank you again...) ;) A HCRI HDS 18650 Clicky. HDS HCRI Rotary in 123. Add in a neutral Hound Dog 18650. Scour the WTS for the V4 Wildcat I just got. A Malkoff N-LLL Module or three. Empty MD2 w/hi low ring for said dropins. SF 6P host. Okluma DC1, Tana E1e Triple build. McG Mule. A Pak-lite or two. I'm sure I could think of a few more.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another solid do-it-all choice, maybe geared less for edc and more towards outright utility for your needs. Very interesting.

Next light purchase after the headlight would be a Nitecore Tip 2. That covers my edc needs and some lower levels. Then a Lucy Lux pro solar inflatable lantern would be next. It could charge the tip 2 in the field. Then I'd want something bright. A Nitecore TM06s will do. 4000 lumens for an hour is enough (doesn't dim down after seconds like most lights). These lights wouldn't be all I get, but it would be a good start.