Bathroom vanity LED stopped working and I'm mech-challenged

MSSF

Newly Enlightened
SUPER noob here. I barely even know what to search for to see if this has been posted to this forum before. I'm brand new to LED lighting.

Bought a house and the bathroom has 2 LED bar vanity lights. One of them stopped working, but first the middle part stopped, and then a few days later the ends stopped. I (finally) opened the end up and saw the attached image.

I don't have a multi-meter and to be honest, don't know what I would do with it on this board. I haven't taken the board out yet. Should I?

The lights are on the same circuit and the other works fine.

I don't know the make or model of the light, but maybe it's on the inside of the base. I may have to turn off the power at the breaker and undo the wiring.

Someone suggested it may be easier to replace both fixtures but when I looked at prices my jaw dropped. $100-200 apiece?!? I'm less concerned with saving a bit of money over 20 years, as I won't be here 20 years from now.

Any advice welcome. Thank you!

Image of light:
https://ibb.co/PxwKC3m

pc_light

Enlightened
Hello MSSE.

It's difficult to provide any kind of advice if you don't even own a multimeter which is probably the most basic of tools to have if considering any type of electrical repair outside of changing a lightbulb.

But didn't want to leave you hang'in so my advice would be to see if the mfg has a replacement LED bar (the inside portion) as the majority of the vanity light cost if probably the fixture that mounts and holds the housing itself.

Another option would be replacing the inside with a generic LED bar (the inside portion). Depending on size you should be able to find a suitable replacement bar for much less than the cost of a new entire fixture.

A dedicated hobbyist might take the thing apart, try to locate the faulty component, and replace/repair that. But as a minimum it would require some basic understanding of circuits, and soldering.

Good luck with repair.

delaware74b

Newly Enlightened
Replace both fixtures.
The 5th LED 'chip' from the left end in your photo has burned.
Most likely, the driver is running the led's too hot or cheap led's.

I am good with a soldering iron but it's not worth the attempt to replace the failed led's.

Good eye deleware, but it could just as easily be dirt from the manufacturing process. I also can't tell if there is wire delamination in the middle or a void in the solder mask for wires.

Replace both fixtures.
The 5th LED 'chip' from the left end in your photo has burned.
Most likely, the driver is running the led's too hot or cheap led's.

I am good with a soldering iron but it's not worth the attempt to replace the failed led's.

MSSF:

1) Find out the supplier and see if they will supply parts. LED products often have long warranties. May be in warranty.
2) Failing 1, open it up. Send us better pictures of what the whole thing looks like.
3) Measure the LED board size. We may be able to "hack it" with off the shelf LED modules and driver. Total parts <=$40. You may even be able to us a 12V supply and a couple sections side by side of higher power LED strip or even under-cabinet lighting modules.

The LED will be in warranty to the light fixture manufacturer, not to the end user. The end user should pursue a warranty for the entire fixture with that fixture manufacturer.

** Note #2. Depending on how the UL was done, they may be able to offer user replaceable assemblies though that is rare these days.

1) Find out the supplier and see if they will supply parts. LED products often have long warranties. May be in warranty.
2) Failing 1, open it up. Send us better pictures of what the whole thing looks like.