HDS Systems        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: best tactical under 30 bucks?

Default Re: best tactical under 30 bucks?

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    dang but rules are rules have a happy 4th
    You too, raggie
    ... is the archimedes peak

cool ty would my no name whetstone 1000/6000 and a leather stroup be ok to maintaine it or should i get a brand name whetstone or another grit? .ps ty for all the info
    With your RAT, your stones and your strop, you've effectively solved the pocket knife problem for life. That's all anyone needs. Some of us go a little crazy with the hobby, but that's all it really is--a hobby.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

awesume im glad my set up will suit me
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

what edge angle does a rat 1 use from factory?google was no help
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

About 17 per side
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

I may be off a hair. Hope someone else will chime in.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    About 17 per side
    cool ty that sound right on to me

I've heard both 17, as well as 20. I'm inclined to believe the 17.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

i have a lansky sharpmaker fake. it only has 20 and 25 angle. am i out of luck ? if not what angle do i use

Flashaholic*

Honestly raggie most of my knives that I use often and reprofile get a 20 degree as it’s a pretty good long lasting edge. It won’t require as much upkeep as a 15 degree.

If you run your rat using that 20 degree FINE edge instead of the coarse it will get it good and sharp shouldn’t hurt anything.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    Honestly raggie most of my knives that I use often and reprofile get a 20 degree as it’s a pretty good long lasting edge. It won’t require as much upkeep as a 15 degree.

If you run your rat using that 20 degree FINE edge instead of the coarse it will get it good and sharp shouldn’t hurt anything.
    cool ty

Basically putting a microbevel on it.
    ... is the archimedes peak

so much to learn my last knifes cost me only like 12 bucks! and that was for a entire set lol. im hooked on knifes now i guess i like all tools . tomorow my lansky will arive plus new fishing line some crazy 8 ply stuff. i have not had fishing line for a year.

well now i own 2 d2 knifes on 440c and a aus8 i payed less then 1 hundred for them all. but i never go to concerts or movies or out to eat in nice places .well once in a while i do arbys if i have a coupon. plus as said before my health scare looks to be over for a while. so i treated my self

Studies show that narrower bevels provide better edge retention during normal cutting tasks than more obtuse bevels. There is a limit, of course. At some point the edge becomes so thin that it is fragile. With most steels, this won't be an issue unless you go lower than 10 degrees per side or so. Call it 12 dps to be safe. However, if your choice is between 20 and 25, always go with 20. It will stay sharp longer, sharpen easier, and there will still be plenty of steel supporting the apex. If it were my knife, I would bevel it at 17 dps, use it fearlessly and strop it regularly.

i may be likeing knifes as much as lights no batterys woohoo

If you get into fixed-blade knives.... There are custom sheaths though.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

budget knifes are insane i have a d2 steel knife with ball bearing pivots comeing for 45 bucks shiped! but theres more! becuase its 2 knifes for that price lol its 2 ganzos fh51

budget knifes are insane i have a d2 steel knife with ball bearing pivots comeing for 45 bucks shiped! but theres more! becuase its 2 knifes for that price lol its 2 ganzos fh51
    I realize they are a bargain and some are pretty well made, but these are all Chinese products that I refuse to purchase. I’d rather buy used made in Japan or USA for the same money if I couldn’t afford a new product.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    I realize they are a bargain and some are pretty well made, but these are all Chinese products that I refuse to purchase. I’d rather buy used made in Japan or USA for the same money if I couldn’t afford a new product.
    i understand for sure

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    Definitely.

Unfortunately all future Al Mar knives will be made in China, instead of Japan. Time to start hunting down used ones on eBay.

Kershaw XCOM is right at $31 from bladeHQ.
    Dean Venture: "I'll get the flashlights!"
    Hank Venture: "And I'll get the astronaut Ice Cream!"

Flashaholic*

I would rather buy American anytime. Preferably hand forged or hand made. That being said, The rat is made in Taiwan and the Taiwanese make very good knives, bikes, parts.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

lol i was excied waited and waited today i see no movement on knifes. i go to call amazon and phone would not work. i try to call phone carrier a course that did not work i use there onine chat. they try me to tell many things that didnt work they said to call there second teir tech suport . i told them i dont have another phone. . and now my stomach issues was bothering me. today sucked lol. and that lansky sharpner kind of sucks no matter how tight i tighten the screws the knifes moves. dang knife almost feel on bare foot. but now im cooking bean soup to help with stomach issues

Hey, man. You gotta watch out for the digits. I don't own the Lansky, but the clamp works exactly the same way as my Tormek knife jig. The front screw needs to be tightened down, but this is not what provides the real clamping power. That's the rear jacking screw. On the Lansky, it's the one in red. Once you fix the knife in place with the front screw (best to use a screw driver), tighten the red screw with your fingers. It doesn't need extreme pressure, but snug it up. It should hold a pocket knife easily.

It that still doesn't work, wrap a small piece of duct tape or gorilla tape around the spine of the knife before putting it in the clamp. That should provide a little extra grip.

i been doing as you say. but if i put the blade far enough into the mount. the stone hits the mount. when i pull out blade enough it slips in mount. then i noticed if you dont put the blade into the mount the same postion everytime it changes angle.im saving for a sharpmaker

I'm really sorry you're having trouble, my friend. Trying to think of ways I can help.

i been doing as you say. but if i put the blade far enough into the mount. the stone hits the mount. when i pull out blade enough it slips in mount. then i noticed if you dont put the blade into the mount the same postion everytime it changes angle.im saving for a sharpmaker
    Grab a small kitchen knife or small pocket knife and practice freehand. Softer steel will make it much easier to raise a burr, etc. Watch videos on the basic technique. You can learn in a couple hours. Once learned it's a skill that will last you a lifetime.

You can still use all the angle helpers and power sharpeners to work faster, but if you ever are in the field or just need a touch up, a small stone and your new skill equals a shaving sharp knife.

Besides, chicks dig men who know how to sharpen knives.
    Last edited by JimIslander; 07-23-2020 at 11:38 AM.

@raggie33, PM sent.

ps tynfor your offer. but i must reject it ive got so much help on this forum id hate to accept more. this forum rocks
    I’m not proud. I’ll accept all the help i can get. Just getting back into folders again and stated reading all the threads
    a single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows- St. Francis of Assissi

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast