raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont care about looks i just want good steel and decent operation

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i like the rat 1 i should of said i also want it foldable and easy to open

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM me your address and I'll send you a S&W knife to mess around with if you'd like. I have around 30 of one model. Don't blame me blame the TSA.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i have a knife i got from amazon .but they sent me the wrong knife i like it but it is not what i ordered. i contacted them i hope theyll fix there mistake. ps i cut my self on the sharping stone some how lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
PM me your address and I'll send you a S&W knife to mess around with if you'd like. I have around 30 of one model. Don't blame me blame the TSA.
ps tynfor your offer. but i must reject it ive got so much help on this forum id hate to accept more. this forum rocks

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Ontario RAT1, and the shorter RAT2. Matter of fact, the RAT2 is my main EDC knife. Hasn't let me down in all the time I've been carrying and using it.

Also, consider the Buck 736 Trekker XLT. Under $20 at Wal-mart. But a surprisingly good budget one-hander. I did a review of mine on my YouTube channel. One of the more popular videos on there. Also the RAT2 was the very first video on my channel. Though like everyone else's first video, it looks kinda crappy. I'm NGMonocrom over on YT if you'd like to check out those videos.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i oredred the rat 1 sadly i could of got it cheaper yesterday but i was broke its comeing tomorow

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
is aus 8 good steel?

You will get a million different answers. The short answer is yes. It's a decent knife steel. It's tough rust resistant and pretty easy to sharpen. One of the best things about aus8 in my eyes is that if the heat treat is even decent on it, it will take an absolutely freaking ridiculously sharp edge. Very good to practice sharpening on. It won't hold an edge forever like some of the new super steels but you can tell when it is losing some sharpness and touch it right back up.

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
You will get a million different answers. The short answer is yes. It's a decent knife steel. It's tough rust resistant and pretty easy to sharpen. One of the best things about aus8 in my eyes is that if the heat treat is even decent on it, it will take an absolutely freaking ridiculously sharp edge. Very good to practice sharpening on. It won't hold an edge forever like some of the new super steels but you can tell when it is losing some sharpness and touch it right back up.
cool im so excited for it to arive its out for delivery right now.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
is aus 8 good steel?

bigburly912 beat me to it.

A lot of knife snobs look down their noses at AUS8.

You can absolutely sharpen it up to a true razor's edge.

Definitely one of the better stainless steels out there for rust resistance.

Won't hold an edge nearly as long as some others. But good edge retention overall.

Plus, easy to re-sharpen. Doesn't require a diamond hone. But that certainly helps.

Not being an exotic steel, your wallet won't take a hit on buying an AUS8 bladed knife.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i think this is my first knife that had metal that was not just called stainless lol

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Fun Fact:
AUS8, AUS-8A, 8A is the Japanese Identical twin sister of American 440B. When you buy a Randall Made knife, you get two options. All of the carbon steel ones are O1. All of the stainless steel blades are 440B. Been that way for a very long time.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i also have a 440c knife comeing. now i cant spend no more fun money till 2021 but i have 2 cool knifes. with my medical issues that have been sorted out i hope. i gifted my self gifts lol. i dont go to movies or concerts so i think i desreve these gifts lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ps ty everyone i love my rat so far it feels so well built im hopeing i get used to opening it. but its sharp and machined perfectly! i have its competion on the way just to see how they compare

raggie33

*the raggedier*
one part i dislike about the rat is it hurts my thumb to flip it open.