Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best tactical under 30 bucks?

Default best tactical under 30 bucks?

i dont care about looks i just want good steel and decent operation
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

Good budget knives
    Ontario rat 1 or 2

Ganzo firebird.

Kabar warthog
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Default Re: best tactical under 30 bucks?

i like the rat 1 i should of said i also want it foldable and easy to open
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic*

PM me your address and Iíll send you a S&W knife to mess around with if youíd like. I have around 30 of one model. Donít blame me blame the TSA.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Flashaholic*

Rat flips open like a much more expensive knife. They are nice
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

i have a knife i got from amazon .but they sent me the wrong knife i like it but it is not what i ordered. i contacted them i hope theyll fix there mistake. ps i cut my self on the sharping stone some how lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    PM me your address and Iíll send you a S&W knife to mess around with if youíd like. I have around 30 of one model. Donít blame me blame the TSA.
    ps tynfor your offer. but i must reject it ive got so much help on this forum id hate to accept more. this forum rocks

+1 on the RAT-1. Good stuff for the money...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Another vote for the Ontario RAT1, and the shorter RAT2. Matter of fact, the RAT2 is my main EDC knife. Hasn't let me down in all the time I've been carrying and using it.

Also, consider the Buck 736 Trekker XLT. Under $20 at Wal-mart. But a surprisingly good budget one-hander. I did a review of mine on my YouTube channel. One of the more popular videos on there. Also the RAT2 was the very first video on my channel. Though like everyone else's first video, it looks kinda crappy. I'm NGMonocrom over on YT if you'd like to check out those videos.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

i oredred the rat 1 sadly i could of got it cheaper yesterday but i was broke its comeing tomorow

is aus 8 good steel?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    is aus 8 good steel?
    You will get a million different answers. The short answer is yes. Itís a decent knife steel. Itís tough rust resistant and pretty easy to sharpen. One of the best things about aus8 in my eyes is that if the heat treat is even decent on it, it will take an absolutely freaking ridiculously sharp edge. Very good to practice sharpening on. It wonít hold an edge forever like some of the new super steels but you can tell when it is losing some sharpness and touch it right back up.
    Last edited by bigburly912; 07-03-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

You will get a million different answers. The short answer is yes. Itís a decent knife steel. Itís tough rust resistant and pretty easy to sharpen. One of the best things about aus8 in my eyes is that if the heat treat is even decent on it, it will take an absolutely freaking ridiculously sharp edge. Very good to practice sharpening on. It wonít hold an edge forever like some of the new super steels but you can tell when it is losing some sharpness and touch it right back up.
    cool im so excited for it to arive its out for delivery right now.

is aus 8 good steel?

bigburly912 beat me to it.

A lot of knife snobs look down their noses at AUS8.

You can absolutely sharpen it up to a true razor's edge.

Definitely one of the better stainless steels out there for rust resistance.

Won't hold an edge nearly as long as some others. But good edge retention overall.

Plus, easy to re-sharpen. Doesn't require a diamond hone. But that certainly helps.

Not being an exotic steel, your wallet won't take a hit on buying an AUS8 bladed knife.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

i think this is my first knife that had metal that was not just called stainless lol

Fun Fact:
    AUS8, AUS-8A, 8A is the Japanese Identical twin sister of American 440B. When you buy a Randall Made knife, you get two options. All of the carbon steel ones are O1. All of the stainless steel blades are 440B. Been that way for a very long time.

i also have a 440c knife comeing. now i cant spend no more fun money till 2021 but i have 2 cool knifes. with my medical issues that have been sorted out i hope. i gifted my self gifts lol. i dont go to movies or concerts so i think i desreve these gifts lol

ps ty everyone i love my rat so far it feels so well built im hopeing i get used to opening it. but its sharp and machined perfectly! i have its competion on the way just to see how they compare

one part i dislike about the rat is it hurts my thumb to flip it open.

Flashaholic*

one part i dislike about the rat is it hurts my thumb to flip it open.
    You can do some searching and find different studs. You will find lots of people have complained about it. Also maybe a video on how to loosen it a little. Itíll break in
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

You can do some searching and find different studs. You will find lots of people have complained about it. Also maybe a video on how to loosen it a little. Itíll break in
    cool ty would my no name whetstone 1000/6000 and a leather stroup be ok to maintaine it or should i get a brand name whetstone or another grit? .ps ty for all the info

Flashaholic*

Donít need high dollar stuff to sharpen. Heck I used the filament out of a high pressure sodium bulb for years to touch up knives. : D
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Donít need high dollar stuff to sharpen. Heck I used the filament out of a high pressure sodium bulb for years to touch up knives. : D
    cool i like simple are they like from street lights? are town went to led street lights. it was crazy it only took em 15 minutes or so per light and there crazy bright

I canít remember the name of the custom knife maker who forged 51200 ball bearings into high dollar hunting knives, but he always told his customers they could go find a smooth river rock to touch up his knives. A variety of sources will work, some better than others, itís the consistent angle thatís important and that comes with practice.

Ed Fowler! Is the guy
    Last edited by ledbetter; 07-04-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    I canít remember the name of the custom knife maker who forged 51200 ball bearings into high dollar hunting knives, but he always told his customers they could go find a smooth river rock to touch up his knives. A variety of sources will work, some better than others, itís the consistent angle thatís important and that comes with practice.
    Lots of makers use 52100 ball bearings. 52100 is excellent. Sounds like something Ed Fowler would say as he is keen on just using fine India stones to touch up knives due to his excellent and time proven heat treat technique. 60 years experience if Iím not mistaken or have him confused.

Looks like I was typing as you edited. Haha
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Lots of makers use 52100 ball bearings. 52100 is excellent. Sounds like something Ed Fowler would say as he is keen on just using fine India stones to touch up knives due to his excellent and time proven heat treat technique. 60 years experience if Iím not mistaken or have him confused.

Looks like I was typing as you edited. Haha
    I have some old AG Russell India stones which are nice but I tend to use the spyderco processed stones because theyíre faster and work with water. And if I get really lazy, I touch up with a diamond stone!

how long does a blade have to be for defence

how long does a blade have to be for defence
    Not a direction to take the discussion on CPF.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Not a direction to take the discussion on CPF.
    dang but rules are rules have a happy 4th

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast