The Fenix-Store        

Thread: Margarita Mix

Default Margarita Mix

And now for something different, a little Margarita Mix...

What's YOUR favorite?

This one is new to me.

Mango Margarita

Stuart

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Margarita Mix

I don't really care for the flavored mixes. I standardize on fresh lemon juice, lime juice, or combination, a splash of water, simple syrup (or sugar well stirred), pretty much any decent reposado tequila (not Jose Cuervo), and Hirams triple sec (the 60 proof version gives a little more kick), and a pinch of kosher salt in the drink instead of on the rim. It just has to be fresh juice for me, and no slushy ice. I got a $15 Braun juicer. I eyeball the measurements based on how much juice I get from the lemon or lemons - some of the Trader Joe's lemons are small. Finally, I used a Thermos/Nissin steel thermal cup at home. It stays nicely cold for a long time.

Exactly, fresh juice is key. My favorite is a mix of limes and tangerines. No Cuervo please, and I prefer 100% agave blancos. Muy bueno!

Flashaholic*

Tangerines, interesting. A complement to the triple sec. I was surprised to see a lot of variation in the proof of triple secs, and I assume the flavor varies a lot. I have also seen substituting Grand Marnier or Cointreau for triple sec, and of course some insist on expensive tequila like Patron.

At one time, I looked around for a local fresh juice bar or the like to get lemon/lime juice, but in my small quantities, it didn't pay. Easier to go to Costco or TJ's and squeeze your own, plus you get a peel for garnish. I've been getting TJ organic lemons after hearing how citrus is apparently sprayed with fungicides/insecticides.

I've tried using frozen lemonade, frozen bottled lemon juice, even Country Time powdered lemonade (what to use in an apocalypse?) and it's hardly drinkable. If you had to make dozens of slushy party drinks, I suppose I'd use Minute Maid frozen, diluted.

Yeah, you could use frozen juice for parties especially for frozen or blender margaritas but fresh squeezed is definitely better for on the rocks. I used to fresh squeeze pomegranate and that makes a very tasty drink. And I agree, patron or other premium brands( I like herradura) I save for sipping and use hornitos or other all agave tequilas for blending. Cheers!

Pomegranate sounds tasty.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Dude,

If you must flash your gangster roll at least put a hundred on the outside.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com