most efficient single aa light?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im looking at lumens per watt. like say a 100 lumen light id want the most run time at 100 lumens

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
im looking at lumens per watt. like say a 100 lumen light id want the most run time at 100 lumens

Yes friend, I understand, I'm just saying that the versions with that UI setup will offer the longest possible runtimes in the category. I do also believe this to be true of the entire output range for these lights.

Astroturf's suggestion appears to be the best bet, though if you want max efficiency the SC53w is the better choice for slight increase in lumens at the same runtimes.

StagMoose

Enlightened
So here is my thing that I have verified through testing.

I had an SC52. I have Malkoff AA lights.
The SC52 no doubt puts out more lumens. However, even at its highest level (500ish lumens) it still isn't as effective as the 90 coming out of my Malkoff 1AA. Then it will regulate down and only run half as long anyway.

Any of the middle range levels weren't as useful as the low or high on the Malkoff. The 8 lumens coming out of the Malkoff was more effective than 200 coming out of the zebra. Then again, it will regulate down and not run as long.

The zebra will undoubtedly run longer. How useful the output actually is, well it is up to debate.

This isn't a zebra slug fest. I really like them. I only use ether headlamps though. The flashlights for me just weren't that incredible.

My guess would be that a Peak AA may outrun a Zebra. I haven't tested it. But there isn't much to get in the way and sap power.

I don't know what the most efficient one is, nor which one manages what it puts out best. But I was disappointed in the level of performance of the SC52 and sold it. I wanted to like it, and it had a nice small form factor. But for my uses it didn't perform that well.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

the light with the lowest CRI, coolest color, and greenest tint will win

So, I asked google for an xpg3 aa light and this is what she told me:

Jetbeam E10R CREE XPG3-S4 LED AA Flashlight

(My Led Soapbox)
imo, focusing on efficiency, sacrifices quality for quantity

I recommend you Not buy a light with an XPG3, despite it being more efficient than a High CRI Nichia..
(end soapbox)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
in all my flashlight years i only had one led light that i didnt like the tint. i kind of prefere cool white. i just love great batttery life. im the same way with cars or motorcycles i like great mpg. im kind of weird lol

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya kinda figured it was something like that. 100 lumens for 4 hours off a single AA seems hard to believe.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The regular SC5 is more efficient. Tint is cool white, but if you're just after efficiency, that's the best tint to choose. I think it comes pretty close to 4 hours at 100 lumens, with a Eneloop Pro battery.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool looks like the zebra light is the one im going to save for. ty everyone

StagMoose

Enlightened
I would submit that the 59 lumens of light from the Zebralight which lasts nearly 4 hours is less useful light than the 8 lumens produced by the Malkoff AA and lasts about 18 hours.

Based solely on my experience and opinion.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I would submit that the 59 lumens of light from the Zebralight which lasts nearly 4 hours is less useful light than the 8 lumens produced by the Malkoff AA and lasts about 18 hours.

ill look at that one to

You have run the H53c?

26 lm = 21 hours. I like mine, and I also like my Malkoffs.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I have 2 H53Fcs. I do like them. I prefer the H600Fc for the most part. They run forever on low-med on an 18650. I will admit that the Zebralight headlamps are about unrivaled. For low close up work and 2 free hands it is hrs to beat.

My position is that their usefulness doesn't carry over well into hand held form. Just my opinion and I know a lot of folks disagree. The beam they put out just is very short range and seems to need higher levels of power to accomplish the same thing as other lights with lower lumen output, so their efficiency is lost a bit.

With a headlamp in the pure dark you can do a whole lot with very little light and have your hands free.

Not that zebras are necessarily breakable, but I also prefer the robustness of the Malkoff AA. I know it isn't breaking in a pack I throw around. Zebra headlamps have taken the same amount of pack abuse without any issues so far as well.

Kinda rambling here at this point. For lower light I guess I just like headlamps better and wasn't impressed with ZL handhelds. They are fine though if that's what you like.