Wuben        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most efficient single aa light?

Default most efficient single aa light?

i mean most lumens per watt. i love long runtime
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Default Re: most efficient single aa light?

I'd guess one of the Zebralight options. Especially from their "#2" series of lights that had the super-low modes at around 0.01 lm.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

im looking at lumens per watt. like say a 100 lumen light id want the most run time at 100 lumens
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Flashaholic

Zebralight SC53c at 107 lumens 4.2 hour run time.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    im looking at lumens per watt. like say a 100 lumen light id want the most run time at 100 lumens

Yes friend, I understand, I'm just saying that the versions with that UI setup will offer the longest possible runtimes in the category. I do also believe this to be true of the entire output range for these lights.

Astroturf's suggestion appears to be the best bet, though if you want max efficiency the SC53w is the better choice for slight increase in lumens at the same runtimes.
    Proud owner, SkyLumen Nguyen #011

List of my lights!

cool ty both of you

So here is my thing that I have verified through testing.

I had an SC52. I have Malkoff AA lights.
    The SC52 no doubt puts out more lumens. However, even at its highest level (500ish lumens) it still isnít as effective as the 90 coming out of my Malkoff 1AA. Then it will regulate down and only run half as long anyway.

Any of the middle range levels werenít as useful as the low or high on the Malkoff. The 8 lumens coming out of the Malkoff was more effective than 200 coming out of the zebra. Then again, it will regulate down and not run as long.

The zebra will undoubtedly run longer. How useful the output actually is, well it is up to debate.

This isnít a zebra slug fest. I really like them. I only use ether headlamps though. The flashlights for me just werenít that incredible.

My guess would be that a Peak AA may outrun a Zebra. I havenít tested it. But there isnít much to get in the way and sap power.

I donít know what the most efficient one is, nor which one manages what it puts out best. But I was disappointed in the level of performance of the SC52 and sold it. I wanted to like it, and it had a nice small form factor. But for my uses it didnít perform that well.
    Last edited by StagMoose; 06-29-2020 at 04:19 PM.

the light with the lowest CRI, coolest color, and greenest tint will win

So, I asked google for an xpg3 aa light and this is what she told me:

Jetbeam E10R CREE XPG3-S4 LED AA Flashlight

(My Led Soapbox)
    imo, focusing on efficiency, sacrifices quality for quantity

I recommend you Not buy a light with an XPG3, despite it being more efficient than a High CRI Nichia..
    (end soapbox)
    Want to Buy Eye10 TiC (or I would trade my V10R Ti+ with 4500k 219b)

in all my flashlight years i only had one led light that i didnt like the tint. i kind of prefere cool white. i just love great batttery life. im the same way with cars or motorcycles i like great mpg. im kind of weird lol

i kind of prefere cool white.
    Cool

I will be curious to learn what you find to be the most efficient AA

Quote Originally Posted by AstroTurf View Post
    Zebralight SC53c at 107 lumens 4.2 hour run time.
    Can you really get over 100 lumens for over 4 hours with that? Thatís crazy efficient
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Can you really get over 100 lumens for over 4 hours with that? Thatís crazy efficient
    not really

Manufacturer specs need to be taken with a grain of salt..

ZebraLight H53c Runtimes Less than Specified

here you can see that what zebra calls 81 lumens, actually measures 59 lumens, and runs for 4 hours: (pic is a link)
    Quote Originally Posted by maukka
    Last edited by jon_slider; 06-30-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Ya kinda figured it was something like that. 100 lumens for 4 hours off a single AA seems hard to believe.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    not really

Manufacturer specs need to be taken with a grain of salt..

ZebraLight H53c Runtimes Less than Specified

here you can see that what zebra calls 81 lumens, actually measures 59 lumens, and runs for 4 hours: (pic is a link)
    Sc5fc in charts shown?

Flashaholic*

The regular SC5 is more efficient. Tint is cool white, but if you're just after efficiency, that's the best tint to choose. I think it comes pretty close to 4 hours at 100 lumens, with a Eneloop Pro battery.

cool looks like the zebra light is the one im going to save for. ty everyone

I would submit that the 59 lumens of light from the Zebralight which lasts nearly 4 hours is less useful light than the 8 lumens produced by the Malkoff AA and lasts about 18 hours.

Based solely on my experience and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by StagMoose View Post
    I would submit that the 59 lumens of light from the Zebralight which lasts nearly 4 hours is less useful light than the 8 lumens produced by the Malkoff AA and lasts about 18 hours.

ill look at that one to

You have run the H53c?

26 lm = 21 hours. I like mine, and I also like my Malkoffs.

I have 2 H53Fcs. I do like them. I prefer the H600Fc for the most part. They run forever on low-med on an 18650. I will admit that the Zebralight headlamps are about unrivaled. For low close up work and 2 free hands it is hrs to beat.

My position is that their usefulness doesnít carry over well into hand held form. Just my opinion and I know a lot of folks disagree. The beam they put out just is very short range and seems to need higher levels of power to accomplish the same thing as other lights with lower lumen output, so their efficiency is lost a bit.

With a headlamp in the pure dark you can do a whole lot with very little light and have your hands free.

Not that zebras are necessarily breakable, but I also prefer the robustness of the Malkoff AA. I know it isnít breaking in a pack I throw around. Zebra headlamps have taken the same amount of pack abuse without any issues so far as well.

Kinda rambling here at this point. For lower light I guess I just like headlamps better and wasnít impressed with ZL handhelds. They are fine though if thatís what you like.

if i do go zebra light where is the best place to but it from? im in georgia usa

if i do go zebra light where is the best place to but it from? im in georgia usa
    Zebralight.com

They are often backordered and can also be found on auction sites. Sometimes there is quite a bit of a wait.

Iíd suggest using their website and the compare models link that gives a spreadsheet of all their models available as well as discontinued ones. Their naming scheme takes some getting used to and it is a good place to find all the info in one place. Especially if you wanted a used one.

ps how does zebralight get that kind of runtime?

I think that is true because the size of the hotspot is smaller on the Malkoff

to explain
    the brightness in the middle of a small hotspot, requires less lumens, than the same brightness within a larger hotspot

the malkoff uses a McGizmo reflector that produces an excellent tight hotspot, so it is very lumen efficient, withing that small target area.. and reaches out well

the zebra spreads the light wider, which has more benefit within closer range, flooding a wider area (which reqires more total lumens)

illustration (simplified)
    10 lumens of illumination on a 10 inch square, is 1 lumen per square
    100 lumens on a 100 inch square, is still 1 lumen per square

imo zebra gets great runtime because they focus on high efficiency LEDs with low CRI.. they prioritize output, over spectrum.

the zebra offers more total number of lighting levels, requiring multi clicking, the malkoff is more Kiss, less clicking around..

malkoff includes access to drop ins with High CRI Nichias.. that you have not expressed interest in yet, but that I keep dropping hints about :-)
    Last edited by jon_slider; 07-01-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Flashaholic*

Be aware that the SC5 is a throwier light than most Zebralights. Still not a thrower, but probably about the most throw you want in an EDC. So, the beam is pretty good at lighting stuff up at moderate distance.

Sure you can go for a thrower, but then it's not very useful indoors or at close distances. IMO, I'd much rather have 50 lumens and a good sized hotspot, than 8 lumens and a useless hotspot. At least for EDC. For a dedicated thrower, like I might use as an additional light if I'm wearing a headlamp, I'd like a thrower. But then I want long reach, and 8 lumens just ain't gonna do it. 1000+ lumens, like you get from a C8, makes a great compact hand-held thrower.

Indoors, I prefer the floodier Zebralights, like the SC53, SC64, or even a frosted-lens version.

As a former fan of AA/AAA battery LED lights I got into 18650 lights and power banks a few years ago and haven't looked back. My first desire was to replace my old Rayovac 1AA 30 lumen headlamp that ran for about 90 minutes off a nimh battery with an 18650 headlamp that does 110 lumens for about 15 hours. With 18650 you have about 4 times the power in a battery which allows for insanely bright levels of output 1000 lumens and above for short times. My headlamp has a 400 lumen high mode that runs for several hours. The only drawbacks of 18650 is the size of the lights themselves they aren't as pocketable.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

When the precision manufacturers design there lights, they have to make a choice of where their peak efficiency is, with Zebralight itís their low modes, roughly 100 lumens or less the run times are as good as they can get for that emitter.
    HDS peak efficiency is in their high modes, they are no slouch in low mode efficiency but the run times on the high modes took priority.
    I would think Malkoff does the same thing, but they run regulated until the voltage drop goes below spec than run lower and lower until the light goes out.

my best advice is find out what brightness you want to run your light at and buy accordingly, you wonít be disappointed with any of these lights, but if you owned them all youíd see each one excels a little differently
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Flashaholic*

To be fair, an HDS high-mode is about as bright as a medium mode in most other brands. So, yeah, it's efficient, but it's not really driving anything very hard or producing much waste heat.

Also, I'm not sure I'd say Zebralight is efficient in their low modes, at least if you're talking about the moonlight levels they offer. Sure, they might last for months, but the amount of light is extremely low. Probably better than most other brands, but the electronics of the light are probably using way more power than the actual LED in moonlight levels.

I agree that medium levels is where Zebralight is most efficient, as is the case with almost all other brands. I find the lithium-ion Zebralights are quite good with efficiency even at 1000+ lumens, but their AA lights just have to suck on the battery too hard on the high levels, so the battery drains very fast and efficiency goes way down due to the high current.

i should of stated my budget is like 25 bucks. i may be out of luck id love to it be good at 40 lumens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast