interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery"

jrgold

Enlightened
Re: interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery

i wonder what it will take to get in the 650-1000nm range, maybe lee filters would work? not sure how you would know you're in that range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery

Easiest is to buy a LED that emits the wavelength you want. You can check with a Spectrometer. But I would be leary of a DIY solution for this...

jrgold

Enlightened

Easiest is to buy a LED that emits the wavelength you want. You can check with a Spectrometer. But I would be leary of a DIY solution for this...

true, an inexpensive convoy s2+ with a 660nm red emitter is probably the answer

Raybo

Enlightened

I have an older Inova X5 IR light, does anyone happen to know the wavelength?
IIRC it is somewhere in the 670nm range, and I would love to try it out for a couple of weeks to "see" the results.

nbp

Flashaholic

Stare into your flashlights all you want but if you melt your eyeballs you can't blame CPF. [emoji39]

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened

aren`t we getting plenty of energy at those frequencies everytime we`re out in the sun or in front of a fire or bar heater, or even a Candle? or does it mean those frequencies Only to the exclusion of others?
might be easier to get some filters and make some gogles and just look at different heat sources that we know are safe.
I used to do a lot of IR photography and even stacking Red, Green and Blue filters together makes a fairly decent IR filter for quite a few things. I think I`m worried about unknown power levels when using Active light devices, we can think they`re ineffective because we can`t see the red very well, but be taking massive doses of IR that can cause damage we can`t even feel.
IIRC many of the red lasers are in the 670nm area, perhaps taking the collimating lens off (turning it into a LED effectively) and shining it onto white paper in a dark room may do it?

jrgold

Enlightened

aren`t we getting plenty of energy at those frequencies everytime we`re out in the sun or in front of a fire or bar heater, or even a Candle? or does it mean those frequencies Only to the exclusion of others?
might be easier to get some filters and make some gogles and just look at different heat sources that we know are safe.
I used to do a lot of IR photography and even stacking Red, Green and Blue filters together makes a fairly decent IR filter for quite a few things. I think I`m worried about unknown power levels when using Active light devices, we can think they`re ineffective because we can`t see the red very well, but be taking massive doses of IR that can cause damage we can`t even feel.
IIRC many of the red lasers are in the 670nm area, perhaps taking the collimating lens off (turning it into a LED effectively) and shining it onto white paper in a dark room may do it?

This is complete speculation, but i think we are being exposed to more blue light than ever before. Between our phone screens, modern tv screens, computers, even some newer light fixtures, there is a lot out there in the blue spectrum. Our eyes (and even our brains) aren't designed for that. i can't imagine it doesn't have an effect. I like your idea of red goggles, or just red lee filters over a flashlight at a lower level. Even shining a red light in a dark room for awhile without staring directly into the led.

Raybo

Enlightened

I'm on day two of staring into my Inova X5 IR for 4 minutes on each eye.
I will update every couple of days if anyone cares. :popcorn:

jrgold

Enlightened

is it an IR light as in it puts out no visible light? just IR? i'd be very cautious looking at any IR lights for that long. The article is referring to a standard red LED

archimedes

Flashaholic

Is it this one ? ...

" INOVA X5 - 880nm Invisible InfraRed LEDs "

nbp

Flashaholic

There's also an X5 UV. Definitely don't stare at that one. ;)

Out of an abundance of caution, I recommend shining your red light onto white paper, and looking at the paper, not directly into the light. This acts as a diffuser of sorts, and also allows you to better control the light intensity. Just a thought (unless of course you have spare retinas that you can drop in as an upgrade, if the old ones are damaged, or just get too dim...) :poof:

Raybo

Enlightened

Just had my third dose of looking directly into my Inova IR and have not lost any vision as of yet (I think?).

To archimedes..No way this light is close to 880nm, the light is still in the visible spectrum when looked at directly (deep red color), but if you shine it on any type of white paper it's still white.
I purchased this light in...... 2005ish?, not sure of the date but it's been a while.

To nbp..I also have one of the original Inova X5 UV lights, and I would never think of looking at it directly.:eek:

Last edited:

jrgold

Enlightened

Just had my third dose of looking directly into my Inova IR and have not lost any vision as of yet (I think?).

To archimedes..No way this light is close to 880nm, the light is still in the visible spectrum when looked at directly (deep red color), but if you shine it on any type of white paper it's still white.
I purchased this light in...... 2005ish?, not sure of the date but it's been a while.

To nbp..I also have one of the original Inova X5 UV lights, and I would never think of looking at it directly.:eek:

I wouldn't stare into an IR light. From what i've read the eye doesn't detect the IR wavelengths that aren't in the visible spectrum, so it doesn't contract the pupils to compensate. You end up with much more light entering the eye than is healthy. I really advise against using IR light for this experiment, your vision isn't worth it.

archimedes

Flashaholic

Most LED (even "color" emitters) do not, strictly speaking, have monochromatic spectral output.

And yes, energy which is outside of the visible spectrum will not necessarily trigger protective physiological responses.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an older Inova X5 IR light, does anyone happen to know the wavelength?
IIRC it is somewhere in the 670nm range, and I would love to try it out for a couple of weeks to "see" the results.

You trolling?

Raybo

Enlightened

I wouldn't stare into an IR light. From what i've read the eye doesn't detect the IR wavelengths that aren't in the visible spectrum, so it doesn't contract the pupils to compensate. You end up with much more light entering the eye than is healthy. I really advise against using IR light for this experiment, your vision isn't worth it.

Read post #15, YES the light is in the visible spectrum.

I really think I'm ok doing what I'm doing, if I go blind I will never see ever again, on the other hand I will never see a post by bigburly912.
It's a win win for me either way!

Last edited: