The Fenix-Store        

Thread: interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery"

Default interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery"

https://newatlas.com/medical/deep-re...aging-retinas/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery

Youíre right! Very interesting, thanks.

Default Re: interesting read, Deep red light reboots aging retinas like "recharging a battery

i wonder what it will take to get in the 650-1000nm range, maybe lee filters would work? not sure how you would know youíre in that range

Flashaholic*

Easiest is to buy a LED that emits the wavelength you want. You can check with a Spectrometer. But I would be leary of a DIY solution for this...

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    Easiest is to buy a LED that emits the wavelength you want. You can check with a Spectrometer. But I would be leary of a DIY solution for this...
    true, an inexpensive convoy s2+ with a 660nm red emitter is probably the answer

I have an older Inova X5 IR light, does anyone happen to know the wavelength?
    IIRC it is somewhere in the 670nm range, and I would love to try it out for a couple of weeks to "see" the results.

Stare into your flashlights all you want but if you melt your eyeballs you canít blame CPF.

aren`t we getting plenty of energy at those frequencies everytime we`re out in the sun or in front of a fire or bar heater, or even a Candle? or does it mean those frequencies Only to the exclusion of others?
    might be easier to get some filters and make some gogles and just look at different heat sources that we know are safe.
    I used to do a lot of IR photography and even stacking Red, Green and Blue filters together makes a fairly decent IR filter for quite a few things. I think I`m worried about unknown power levels when using Active light devices, we can think they`re ineffective because we can`t see the red very well, but be taking massive doses of IR that can cause damage we can`t even feel.
    IIRC many of the red lasers are in the 670nm area, perhaps taking the collimating lens off (turning it into a LED effectively) and shining it onto white paper in a dark room may do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    aren`t we getting plenty of energy at those frequencies everytime we`re out in the sun or in front of a fire or bar heater, or even a Candle? or does it mean those frequencies Only to the exclusion of others?
    might be easier to get some filters and make some gogles and just look at different heat sources that we know are safe.
    I used to do a lot of IR photography and even stacking Red, Green and Blue filters together makes a fairly decent IR filter for quite a few things. I think I`m worried about unknown power levels when using Active light devices, we can think they`re ineffective because we can`t see the red very well, but be taking massive doses of IR that can cause damage we can`t even feel.
    IIRC many of the red lasers are in the 670nm area, perhaps taking the collimating lens off (turning it into a LED effectively) and shining it onto white paper in a dark room may do it?
    This is complete speculation, but i think we are being exposed to more blue light than ever before. Between our phone screens, modern tv screens, computers, even some newer light fixtures, there is a lot out there in the blue spectrum. Our eyes (and even our brains) arenít designed for that. i canít imagine it doesnít have an effect. I like your idea of red goggles, or just red lee filters over a flashlight at a lower level. Even shining a red light in a dark room for awhile without staring directly into the led.

I'm on day two of staring into my Inova X5 IR for 4 minutes on each eye.
    I will update every couple of days if anyone cares.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybo View Post
    is it an IR light as in it puts out no visible light? just IR? iíd be very cautious looking at any IR lights for that long. The article is referring to a standard red LED

Is it this one ? ...

" INOVA X5 - 880nm Invisible InfraRed LEDs "
    ... is the archimedes peak

Thereís also an X5 UV. Definitely donít stare at that one.

Flashaholic

Out of an abundance of caution, I recommend shining your red light onto white paper, and looking at the paper, not directly into the light. This acts as a diffuser of sorts, and also allows you to better control the light intensity. Just a thought (unless of course you have spare retinas that you can drop in as an upgrade, if the old ones are damaged, or just get too dim...)

Just had my third dose of looking directly into my Inova IR and have not lost any vision as of yet (I think?).

To archimedes..No way this light is close to 880nm, the light is still in the visible spectrum when looked at directly (deep red color), but if you shine it on any type of white paper it's still white.
    I purchased this light in...... 2005ish?, not sure of the date but it's been a while.

To nbp..I also have one of the original Inova X5 UV lights, and I would never think of looking at it directly.
    Last edited by Raybo; 07-03-2020 at 05:50 PM.

Just had my third dose of looking directly into my Inova IR and have not lost any vision as of yet (I think?).

To archimedes..No way this light is close to 880nm, the light is still in the visible spectrum when looked at directly (deep red color), but if you shine it on any type of white paper it's still white.
    I purchased this light in...... 2005ish?, not sure of the date but it's been a while.

To nbp..I also have one of the original Inova X5 UV lights, and I would never think of looking at it directly.
    I wouldnít stare into an IR light. From what iíve read the eye doesnít detect the IR wavelengths that arenít in the visible spectrum, so it doesnít contract the pupils to compensate. You end up with much more light entering the eye than is healthy. I really advise against using IR light for this experiment, your vision isnít worth it.

Most LED (even "color" emitters) do not, strictly speaking, have monochromatic spectral output.

And yes, energy which is outside of the visible spectrum will not necessarily trigger protective physiological responses.
    Last edited by archimedes; 07-03-2020 at 06:14 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

Flashaholic*

I have an older Inova X5 IR light, does anyone happen to know the wavelength?
    IIRC it is somewhere in the 670nm range, and I would love to try it out for a couple of weeks to "see" the results.
    You trolling?
    Big butnotsomuch-burly

Quote Originally Posted by bigburly912 View Post
    You trolling?
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by jrgold View Post
    I wouldnít stare into an IR light. From what iíve read the eye doesnít detect the IR wavelengths that arenít in the visible spectrum, so it doesnít contract the pupils to compensate. You end up with much more light entering the eye than is healthy. I really advise against using IR light for this experiment, your vision isnít worth it.

Read post #15, YES the light is in the visible spectrum.

I really think I'm ok doing what I'm doing, if I go blind I will never see ever again, on the other hand I will never see a post by bigburly912.
    It's a win win for me either way!
    Last edited by Raybo; 07-03-2020 at 08:33 PM.