Substitute rubber boot for vintage 4sevens Quark tactical?

Lucciola

Enlightened
Wow, it's been a loooong time since my active CPF times. Hello everyone, and to all friendly flashoholics in the US, hope you had a great independence day yesterday! :wave:

Many years ago my sister asked me for a flashlight for her job and I gave her a 4sevens Quark AA2 Turbo. Yesterday she brought back the light to me.

Sister: "Could you fix it please?"

Me: "OK, but don't you want something new, you know, there are today very compact and easily rechargeable..."

Sister: "Yeah, OK, splendid, but I want this light. It is perfect for my purpose, it is easy to use, if possible I'd like to keep it!"

OK, let's see what do we have.

Threads and contact surfaces dirty: Cleaned.
One O-Ring missing: Replaced
Threads hard to turn: Lubed
One Eneloop doesn't bring full capacity any more: Two brand-new Eneloops
Rubber boot worn out and torn: ???

Now what do I do there? The switch is working perfectly, but where do I get a new rubber boot? Any idea what I could use as substitute or how I could improvise something? It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to do the job. Any ideas?

Pictures of the patient:

mobile.71e4kca.jpeg

mobile.72pmjbj.jpeg

scout24

Flashaholic
If that's from the Quark heyday, I may be able to help you out. Let me check my spares box. I have more than one or two iirc.

Edit- I believe I have a spare switch or two as well. Let me know if these would help you out...

Last edited:

Lucciola

Enlightened
:huh: The domed switch covers on the left side are exactly what I'm looking for. Should you be able to spare them both I'd be more than happy. The switch still seems to work flawlessly.

lovecpf

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, what Scout said. I have a spare if You need one.

One thing with the Quarks tailswitch is the contact between the aluminum ring and the outer gold contact of the switch can get oxidized and commonly cause troulbles. While the switch is apart, scuff the aluminum edge that makes contact with the gold ring, clean both with alcohol and add some no-oxide compound if You have any before reassembling.

The ones on the left the are for the Tactical switches. Your switch is actually a Turbo tailswitch. They are wider but use the same switch and boot as any tactical version. The new MKII and MKIII boots will fit as well. PM inbound.

GL

If that's from the Quark heyday, I may be able to help you out. Let me check my spares box. I have more than one or two iirc.

Edit- I believe I have a spare switch or two as well. Let me know if these would help you out...
50079159247_369e634d74_z.jpg

dkirker

Newly Enlightened
Yes, what Scout said. I have a spare if You need one.

One thing with the Quarks tailswitch is the contact between the aluminum ring and the outer gold contact of the switch can get oxidized and commonly cause troulbles. While the switch is apart, scuff the aluminum edge that makes contact with the gold ring, clean both with alcohol and add some no-oxide compound if You have any before reassembling.

The ones on the left the are for the Tactical switches. Your switch is actually a Turbo tailswitch. They are wider but use the same switch and boot as any tactical version. The new MKII and MKIII boots will fit as well. PM inbound.

GL

What are the dimensions of the two styles in that Foursevens kit? I've been trying to find some dark blue boots of the 14mm variety. Seems like light blue, clear blue, and GITD blue are the only things people sell these days (in terms of blue). I did find one site that shows having this kit, but I don't know if the site is out-of-date and if the site is really even secure... Or even what the boot dimensions are.

Last edited:

Lucciola

Enlightened
I have only Quark AA2​ tactical and 1232​ tactical. All of them have black 13mm rubber boots installed. If I remember correctly the blue ones were never available on a ready-made light, just with the shown boot kit.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lucciola,
I got your PM. I'll send You a spare boot.

The Blue boots You are referring to were only offered when purchasing the Titanium switch Tool with the 4 boots(2blue/2black) included.

Yes, … Check out the vendor You found that has the legacy New Old Stock switch kit. You'll get the titanium tool and 2 tactical and two Pro boots with it, just as Scout has picture above.

Wishing the Best
GL

Lucciola

Enlightened
Thanks for your wonderful help! My sister is already excited, that she'll get back her trusted light. When I ordered the light from David many years ago, it never came to my mind that my sister would be so pleased with it as she is quite indifferent to all technical stuff.

I'll keep you updated when the repair is completed. For the moment I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the friendly and noble gesture of scout24 and Got Lumens!

Lucciola

Thanks for your wonderful help! My sister is already excited, that she'll get back her trusted light. When I ordered the light from David many years ago, it never came to my mind that my sister would be so pleased with it as she is quite indifferent to all technical stuff.

I'll keep you updated when the repair is completed. For the moment I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the friendly and noble gesture of scout24 and Got Lumens!

Lucciola

:clap: Those guys are the best! :twothumbs

LCHDR

Newly Enlightened
I found this thread and I can't find any of the FourSevens Quark Spare Boot Kits anywhere to purchase. I have several old Quarks that I want to change over to the Tactical switches. I will need new switches, new higher Tactical boots, and the Tailcap tool. Would anyone know where I could purchase these?
Thank you for any help with this!
LCHDR

I found this thread and I can't find any of the FourSevens Quark Spare Boot Kits anywhere to purchase. I have several old Quarks that I want to change over to the Tactical switches. I will need new switches, new higher Tactical boots, and the Tailcap tool. Would anyone know where I could purchase these?
LCHDR

Hi LCHDR. :welcome:

kingofsoles24 on eBay might be able to help you. He usually answers my inquiries very quickly. Best of luck with your search.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
LCHDR
You should also know that using a tactical switch on a Pro head will change operation and programing.
The Tacticals are forward clickies, and the Pro's are reverse clickies.
You may also lose tail standing ability with purchasing an adapter.
If You should find any Turbo Tailcaps, You can use the switch and boot in your Quark tails.
With out a switch tool You can use fine tipped needle nose pliers or a spanner wrench to replace.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a tall blue 4Sevens boot they could sell me?

If you had the "kit" I'd like that even more.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
It must be about that time. I too have been EDC'ing an original Quark Ti 1xAA tactical (xpg R5, "rare as a hens tooth" at the time, IIRC) since about 2006. I lost it a couple of times, found it a couple of times. Once, it dropped out of my pocket in a post office and I went back after a weekend and some honest soul turned it in and the employee knew exactly what I was looking for when I described it! Lucky... It's been dropped on tile floors, concrete floors, left in the stone drive way over a snow storm. I still carry it today. The patina is gorgeous now.

Just a couple of weeks ago I replaced the switch (finally worn out, very intermittent) and the boot was just about worn through. I used the blue boot from my replacement kit. It should last maybe another 14 years? Cleaned it up, lubed with GL203, still original o'rings that look new, dab of deoxit on the battery tip. Good to go!

I have many newer lights since then (most recent: Zebra red, floody), but the Quark is still my EDC. It goes everywhere I go.

I was into the Quark Ti craze phase. I have 2 serial #: 1xAA and 2xAA tacticals NIB along with many spare parts (AA, 2xAA, CR123, 18650 tubes, heads, right-angle prism attachment, etc.). My EDC is a "mutt" that I put together from the spares, not wanting to lose the serial #'d lights (my only shelf-queens). I purchased all the spares near the end as they were phased out, never to be offered again.:sigh:

It sounds like she enjoys having her EDC as much as I like mine. I consider that time the hey-day of flashlight development and I thought it would always be that way. It turns out it wouldn't last, but it was cool to be there while it was happening. ( I must be a real nerd...).

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have a tall blue 4Sevens boot they could sell me?

If you had the "kit" I'd like that even more.
NOS Boot kits came with a neat Titanium Wrench to tighten and loosen the switch.
The kits are rare, but can sometimes be found, just like the prism kit.

_._._._ ( I must be a real nerd...).
Nope. You got way more Lumens than I :naughty:

Last edited:

U191

Newly Enlightened

50079159247_369e634d74_z.jpg
Do you have any buttons that would fit a MAELSTROM MMU-X3 ?