FourSevens        

Thread: Substitute rubber boot for vintage 4sevens Quark tactical?

Default Substitute rubber boot for vintage 4sevens Quark tactical?

Wow, it's been a loooong time since my active CPF times. Hello everyone, and to all friendly flashoholics in the US, hope you had a great independence day yesterday!

Many years ago my sister asked me for a flashlight for her job and I gave her a 4sevens Quark AA2 Turbo. Yesterday she brought back the light to me.

Sister: "Could you fix it please?"

Me: "OK, but don't you want something new, you know, there are today very compact and easily rechargeable..."

Sister: "Yeah, OK, splendid, but I want this light. It is perfect for my purpose, it is easy to use, if possible I'd like to keep it!"

OK, let's see what do we have.

Threads and contact surfaces dirty: Cleaned.
    One O-Ring missing: Replaced
    Threads hard to turn: Lubed
    One Eneloop doesn't bring full capacity any more: Two brand-new Eneloops
    Rubber boot worn out and torn: ???

Now what do I do there? The switch is working perfectly, but where do I get a new rubber boot? Any idea what I could use as substitute or how I could improvise something? It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to do the job. Any ideas?

Pictures of the patient:

Default Re: Substitute rubber boot for vintage 4sevens Quark tactical?

If that's from the Quark heyday, I may be able to help you out. Let me check my spares box. I have more than one or two iirc.

Edit- I believe I have a spare switch or two as well. Let me know if these would help you out...
    Last edited by scout24; 07-05-2020 at 07:19 AM.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

The domed switch covers on the left side are exactly what I'm looking for. Should you be able to spare them both I'd be more than happy. The switch still seems to work flawlessly.

Yes, what Scout said. I have a spare if You need one.

One thing with the Quarks tailswitch is the contact between the aluminum ring and the outer gold contact of the switch can get oxidized and commonly cause troulbles. While the switch is apart, scuff the aluminum edge that makes contact with the gold ring, clean both with alcohol and add some no-oxide compound if You have any before reassembling.

The ones on the left the are for the Tactical switches. Your switch is actually a Turbo tailswitch. They are wider but use the same switch and boot as any tactical version. The new MKII and MKIII boots will fit as well. PM inbound.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    If that's from the Quark heyday, I may be able to help you out. Let me check my spares box. I have more than one or two iirc.

Edit- I believe I have a spare switch or two as well. Let me know if these would help you out...

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Yes, what Scout said. I have a spare if You need one.

One thing with the Quarks tailswitch is the contact between the aluminum ring and the outer gold contact of the switch can get oxidized and commonly cause troulbles. While the switch is apart, scuff the aluminum edge that makes contact with the gold ring, clean both with alcohol and add some no-oxide compound if You have any before reassembling.

The ones on the left the are for the Tactical switches. Your switch is actually a Turbo tailswitch. They are wider but use the same switch and boot as any tactical version. The new MKII and MKIII boots will fit as well. PM inbound.

GL
    What are the dimensions of the two styles in that Foursevens kit? I've been trying to find some dark blue boots of the 14mm variety. Seems like light blue, clear blue, and GITD blue are the only things people sell these days (in terms of blue). I did find one site that shows having this kit, but I don't know if the site is out-of-date and if the site is really even secure... Or even what the boot dimensions are.
    Last edited by dkirker; 07-05-2020 at 12:11 PM.

I have only Quark AA2 tactical and 1232 tactical. All of them have black 13mm rubber boots installed. If I remember correctly the blue ones were never available on a ready-made light, just with the shown boot kit.
    Last edited by Lucciola; 07-05-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Lucciola- I got your PM, I'll get a care package out to you on Tuesday. Enjoy!
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Lucciola,
    I got your PM. I'll send You a spare boot.

The Blue boots You are referring to were only offered when purchasing the Titanium switch Tool with the 4 boots(2blue/2black) included.

Yes, … Check out the vendor You found that has the legacy New Old Stock switch kit. You'll get the titanium tool and 2 tactical and two Pro boots with it, just as Scout has picture above.

Wishing the Best
    GL

Thanks for your wonderful help! My sister is already excited, that she'll get back her trusted light. When I ordered the light from David many years ago, it never came to my mind that my sister would be so pleased with it as she is quite indifferent to all technical stuff.

I'll keep you updated when the repair is completed. For the moment I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the friendly and noble gesture of scout24 and Got Lumens!

Lucciola

Quote Originally Posted by Lucciola View Post
    Thanks for your wonderful help! My sister is already excited, that she'll get back her trusted light. When I ordered the light from David many years ago, it never came to my mind that my sister would be so pleased with it as she is quite indifferent to all technical stuff.

I'll keep you updated when the repair is completed. For the moment I would like to express my sincere gratitude for the friendly and noble gesture of scout24 and Got Lumens!

Lucciola
    Those guys are the best!
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.