What does Arc consider as factory seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that the Arc4's that draw too much current or are not bright enough to meet specifications are considered seconds but what about the LS series?

Since the leds are hand-picked before they are installed and the light is not brightness calibrated, how does Arc determine what are seconds?

Are they returned lights from people who don't want them or lights with cosmetic blemishes? What other defects would classify an LS as a second?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
i belive their defects include, but not limited to non centered lux, some strange beam on the lux, color strangeness. Also maybe not bright enuff to constitute a premium but already housed in the premium housing.

sidespill

Enlightened
i wonder if a second could also be a weak converter board. i would like to buy a couple seconds, swap to nice bin LEDs but if the board puts out weak power then that's beyond my expertise.

turbodog

Flashaholic
from reading I seem to remember:

too much current draw

also, I think the lights are brightness calibrated

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
turbodog, that was for the current ARC4.
i think billson is asking about the ARC LS series, before arc4. on the LSes, no brightness calibration was made

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case they are mostly assembly irregularities and leds that slipped past quality control. Nothing that couldn't be remedied by just taking the light apart and reassembling it or swapping out the led.

Are they really this simple or is there more to it than meets the eye?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
i never laid my hands on the rev2 housing. But from what i gather so far, this sounds this simple, though the implementation might be a bit harder. surely, after you tinkering with your ARC to change the lux or centering it, your inner arc would not look like new. Maybe this is why arc does not repair the premium and sell them as premium. They simply cannot be seen as premium anymore.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a bunch of ls seconds around here and it is often hard to see why it was demoted.
anodising mismatch and debris in the optics seem to be the most obvious.or wrong board got installed / wrong engraving for installed led.
one of mine is marked lsh-p and has a ld.
even with the screening arc does with luxeons the tints still vary as does the brightness.
maybe some dont make the grade at the end of the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts