"Single mode" Flashlight

Ehanzalova

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,
i'm looking for a general single mode flashlight that uses 1xAA and/or 1xcr123 batteries, prices undes US$60 are preffered since im broke af:laughing:.

Since the beggining I encountered 2 that meet that criteria

Nitecore MT1A Multitask (with the turbo mode selected) and the streamlight protac 1l-1AA with the high mode selected.
Anyone has other recommendations or can help me to choose between the two?

Burgess

Flashaholic
MY favorite, which I've carried for a DECADE now,
and has never failed me:

Quark QTA (1xAA) tactical interface flashlight

Set it up for Head Tight and Head Loose
to be the SAME output, if you insist !

Or, simply enjoy having TWO levels,
and NEVER getting the "wrong" one by mistake !

Yes, these are now Long Discontinued items,
but SEEK, and ye' will FIND !

:twothumbs
_

GoVegan

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC SHO

Personally I'm not a fan of the company, the owner, the designs, or even the UIs, but to be fair this is a solid little light, single CR123, 250 lumens, I have had zero issues with mine.

Ah man, another annoying thing, he doesn't list the prices for items that are not in stock.
Anyway I just checked my receipt from a couple of years ago and it was 96.90 USD after using the discount code.

Now if Gene Malkoff would only make a MDC SHO 1AA. This would be a killer EDC.

Also the Elzetta Alpha, toughest little light out there, if you ignore the fact that it's easy to crack the lens, haha so OK not so tough after all. Just be careful you don't get one that flickers, mine annoys the hell out of me so I no longer use it. Actually scratch this, as it's about 130 USD.

Hmmm based on price, prob best to stick with the cheapo Streamlight Protac 1L or 1L-1AA. I also have both, only the later has been trouble free.

I have never owned any Nitecore, as I've never been satisfied with their quality/reputation, but then again the Streamlight aren't much better.

Sorry not much help I guess, prob just wasted my time here. :)

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for Streamlight. Any of their lights that support the 10-tap interface can be set to Hi-only. The Lo->Hi mode is also quite useful and as long as you don't double-tap, you can treat it as a single-mode flashlight at the Lo output.

--flatline

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
Protac 1L-1AA is really hard to beat...only $4x on amazon. Use cr123/AA/AAA, tail stand, 2way clip, TenTap options.
My choice would be the Streamlight Protac 90. Same feature as 1L-1AA but with a right angle head, it's more versatile IMO.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your 1L-1AA tailstands? I'm so jealous. I just recently got the 1L-1AA and the 1L and both look like they should tailstand, but the boot extends just a little too far on both.

Except for the lack of tailstanding, they're both excellent lights.

Last edited:

StagMoose

Enlightened
"Single mode" Flashlight

I like these little 1L-1AA lights and bought a few when they were under $20 on amazon.

To get them to tailstand try unscrewing the tail and holding the switch in while screwing it back on. They are water proof and airtight. If you squish the air out they seem to tailstand better. I have one that is a little wobbly but they all tailstand

As a data point I referenced in another thread, I have fed one a steady diet of rcr123s and 14500s. You lose 2 modes if you have it set that way. It's kinda just bright and slightly brighter. But they have handled the voltage for a couple years at this point. It will out throw the 2L or whatever version it is called of streamlight that takes the 18650 when using a li-ion. Puts out less lumens but does our throw it. Pretty good little lights for the glovebox and edc since they can use about any battery that fits in it. My only concern is the sliding spring loaded contact and how that may wear over time.

I'm not a fan of nitecore but it is based off a single light I have from them that does not have a spring on the positive terminal and dents any battery you put in it if you drop it. The light works fine, but has many modes.

Last edited:

StagMoose

Enlightened
Malkoff MDC SHO

Personally I'm not a fan of the company, the owner, the designs, or even the UIs, but to be fair this is a solid little light, single CR123, 250 lumens, I have had zero issues with mine.

Ah man, another annoying thing, he doesn't list the prices for items that are not in stock.
Anyway I just checked my receipt from a couple of years ago and it was 96.90 USD after using the discount code.

Now if Gene Malkoff would only make a MDC SHO 1AA. This would be a killer EDC.

Also the Elzetta Alpha, toughest little light out there, if you ignore the fact that it's easy to crack the lens, haha so OK not so tough after all. Just be careful you don't get one that flickers, mine annoys the hell out of me so I no longer use it. Actually scratch this, as it's about 130 USD.

Hmmm based on price, prob best to stick with the cheapo Streamlight Protac 1L or 1L-1AA. I also have both, only the later has been trouble free.

I have never owned any Nitecore, as I've never been satisfied with their quality/reputation, but then again the Streamlight aren't much better.

Sorry not much help I guess, prob just wasted my time here. :)

Interested to know what you dislike about Gene? I get not liking his products, but the guy is one of the nicest people I have ever done business with.

For the record I like his products and if the OP could find one used it would be worth it. I think I purchased a 1AA light off here used for around the price point.