What will you pack for your next camping trip?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Summer is the season of outdoor campings. Some of you are currently not able to go camping due to the lockdown in some areas. But we are still dreaming of falling asleep underneath our tents and waking up beside a lake in the hills. I'd like to list the camping essentials according to my previous camping experience.

GettyImages-1032682388-8f8e1a00a73d4c90850e6533dcdeea04.jpg

Tent - unless you plan to sleep on your vehicles like an RV or van, please triple check whether you packed your tent. If your plan is backpacking plus camping, then a super lightweight tent is perfect. I have one with 1.7KG.

Sleeping pad or air mattress - if you've ever slept on the floor, you know how terrible you feel the next day. So investing in a sleeping pad or camping air mattress is really necessary. choose the one that can be quickly blown up and packed down.

Sleeping bag or blankets - Sleeping bags go with tents like peanut butter goes with jelly. Even in the warm summer, there is always a chance it gets really cold in the middle of the night. If you are unprepared, then you'll have to scramble to add multiple layers of clothes to stay warm.

Camping light - it's important to have a reliable light when wild camping. A headlamp for you to do your tasks without handle it by hand. And a LED lantern or flashlight that can be hung to the top of the tent for your group to play cards or light the trail to the restroom. Also, don't forget to take a spare flashlight and some rechargeable batteries.

Warm rainproof clothes - a warm down jacket is essential for a wild campaign all year round. Choose the one that is super warm and packs down really small. It can also be made as a great pillow at night.

Camping stove - a small and light portable camping stove is essential if you don't have a campfire to cook with. There are fire bans in some campsites.

Cooking pans and utensils - prepare a super light and durable cooking pan and some cups, bowls, plates, and forks, etc. This will help you to enjoy a great camping meal.

Survival knives - a trusty survival knife is essential for you in the wild. It is also ideal for the tasks like cut a rope, fillet a fish, or whittle a walking stick. Consider a lightweight and compact one.

Water containers - water filters/tablets and a large water container are perfect for camping. You need to know what the water situation is before you go.

Backpack - finally you need a backpack to pull all the gears in for an overnight camp.

OK. Those are my camping essentials. Of course that's not everything packed in my backpack.

Are you going to plan a camping trip? And if there is a chance, what camping essentials will you take?

I went on five local trips in December. Mainly was testing cold weather tents and bags. Thankfully I have private access to thousands of acres of local sea Islands. These can give you the feeling of extreme isolation. Of course I take all the stuff that you take, but I always bring a rifle since I hunt my supper. I do bring dehydrated food in case I can't shoot anything.

My lights are both headlamps. Zebralight high CRI 18650 ( I think I have four or five different latest models) is for use in night hiking and as a camp headlamp. My second light is a Manker EO2 AAA with Nichia 219c. I love the 20-something levels of moonlight that this light has. I use the Manker inside the tent. It will give you an ultralow 0.1 lm moonlight and can blast out 200 lumens in Turbo if you need it.

Last edited:

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
To avoid having this turn into a have-you-packed-everything checklist thread, a more interesting question would be:

What will you pack for your next camping trip, that you did NOT take on previous trip(s)? Newly acquired gear to replace your trusty old <SOMETHING>, gear needed for travelling in different type of terrain than previous trips, uncommon items that may come in handy when travelling in specific countries, etc etc.