Upgrading the SPY?

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
I have a SPY 007 running the STFu MK1 V2 Driver. Is there any way to upgrade the driver and LEDs? I see old threads about Wayne "dat2zip" of the Sandwich Shoppe but it seems by all outward appearances he hasn't been active for some time. Thanks!

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone heard from Dave lately? I emailed him a few days ago about some issues I'm having with my spy 007, but haven't heard back yet.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone heard from Dave lately? I emailed him a few days ago about some issues I'm having with my spy 007, but haven't heard back yet.

I had a brief conversation with him via email about 2 months ago. He did reply a few days after my initial inquiry. I think he's just been really busy lately. But still good ole Dave. Accommodating and very kind.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SPY 007 running the STFu MK1 V2 Driver. Is there any way to upgrade the driver and LEDs? I see old threads about Wayne "dat2zip" of the Sandwich Shoppe but it seems by all outward appearances he hasn't been active for some time. Thanks!

I think upgrading the LED is a pretty simple process. Well.... Simple as in there's nothing really different from an LED swap in any flashlight. Just need to be able to reflow solder the new LED onto the existing PCB. On the newer SPYs, that is a different story. In the name of performance, looks like Dave uses a copper MCPCB and has soldered that to the copper pill for maximum heat transfer, but in doing that you basically have to either get a new pill or somehow heat the whole thing up to reflow the LED.

As for upgrading the driver, yeah, that's going to be a Dave thing.

blitzlicht65

Enlightened
My last contact to Dave was about two months ago.

I've had a problem with my StuFu-Board and Dave will fixed the problem.

He will answer you in a few days, I'm sure.:D

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
Yep he responded to my email quickly. No easy answer for upgrades, and a friendly reminder that modding will void the lifetime warranty. Now I'm reconsidering.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
"The reports of my absence are greatly exaggerated." :tinfoil:

I am sorry if I missed your email but I answer all of them eventually. Please do not hesitate to send me another email if needed. I love to answer questions here on the forum when I see them. There is much more activity on FB than here on CPF but this is still a comfortable place for me.

Work has been crazy, and as everybody knows life these days with a family, kids in college/high school, wife, dog and a pool, is challenging. I have several big projects all going on at once and it just seems like it never gets done. Flashlight work has been strong too.

Most of you know I do not mod flashlights, never have. The upgrade service that Dat2zip and Milky offered a decade ago were only for the first 005 lights with the DB board. That upgrade was offered because I did not imagine those old boards lasting for the long haul like the STFu boards do.
:party:
So if you ever have any questions, fire away.

Cheers
Dave