Good flashlight for camping / general use

Hyiuu

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, i've been searching for a flashlight to go camping and explore with friends, some people recommended me the Convoy S12 and Sofirn C8F, i want to buy them both because they actually look really cool, what you guys think?

and also i dont know which "design" i choose for Convoy S12 (SST20 6500k or 219C 4000k etc) i don't really understand what those mean, so i'm glad with every help i can have
i'm sure i didn't include all the information like my preferences in flashlights, but ask me questions since i don't really understand much about flashlight :p

Thanks in advance

Imon

Enlightened
Hi guys, i've been searching for a flashlight to go camping and explore with friends, some people recommended me the Convoy S12 and Sofirn C8F, i want to buy them both because they actually look really cool, what you guys think?

and also i dont know which "design" i choose for Convoy S12 (SST20 6500k or 219C 4000k etc) i don't really understand what those mean, so i'm glad with every help i can have
i'm sure i didn't include all the information like my preferences in flashlights, but ask me questions since i don't really understand much about flashlight :p

Thanks in advance

Have you given some thought to a headlamp?
I enjoy camping and hiking too and I rarely ever take more than one flashlight camping with me - it's always two headlamps and a small LED lantern. Hands free lighting is a must for me when camping.

As for your question about the S12, SST20 and 219C is a reference to the emitter, or LED, used in the flashlight.
The Nichia 219 LED is quite popular around here for its nice white color and high CRI (color rendition index).
6500 K and 4000 K is the color temperature. You can commonly find lights between 6500 to 3000 K. You'll hear people describing lights at the ~6000K end as "cool white" (bluish) and the 3000K end as "warm white" (orangish). As you go from 6500K to 3000K the colors tend to go blue->light blue->white->light yellow->yellow->yellow-orange->orange. People here tend to like lights in the 5000 to 4500 K range since they appears white and most like natural light.

I suspect with the S12 you are looking at the SST20 model provides an advantage in luminous output over the 219c model. This is ultimately a personal choice - do you prefer more lumens over better tint/CRI? If you ask people here most will pick tint/CRI over more output but I suspect the average consumer doesn't care and will almost always go for the higher lumen figures plus flashlight companies always likes bragging about high output while topics like color temperature and CRI often pass over the heads of the average consumer.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I totally agree with
a Zebralight headlamp !

The ONLY catch is:
when camping in Summertime,
there are FLYING INSECTS about.

And they are attracted to LIGHT.

And they therefore tend to
Fly into your EYES ! ! !

:sigh:
_

StagMoose

Enlightened
Also agree with ZL h600 headlamps. Lotta runtime on useable lower levels and have some blasting ability if required.

For backpacking and around the campsite I prefer the floody versions.

If car camping bring a handheld of your choice. I like a thrower light.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another light I use quite frequently when camping is my simple AAA light. Pocket clip means it can go on a hat brim. It's also small enough to mouth hold or even put it on your ear like a pencil. Very small and pocketable for those time when you need a light for a couple of seconds to a few mins.

325addict

Enlightened
A head lamp indeed, then a Nitecore SRT7 (because it has an enormous adaptation in Lumens: from 0.2 to over 1000) and I never leave home without a devastatingly powerful incan flashlight with some WA1185 or WA1274 bulb in it. These monsters are your best friend when walking around in the woods - but make sure you carry lots of extra batteries AND a spare LED light, for that "just in case" case your bulb burns out...

If you don't have all of these: do you know what also works very well, especially in your tent? An old style 2AA Mini Maglite incan flashlight... very nice light with the right color and the right AMOUNT of light too! I nearly forgot I used to go camping with my now old but still working little Maggie...