[POLL] SURE•FIRE LASER PRODUCTS 6P Classic Round Body: Modify or leave stock?

xifrankie

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

Very happy to be here, and to be taking interest in modding/customizing flashlights.

I need your help. Sitting in a clearance bin in a local Goodwill, I stumbled upon what I believe to be an original SURE•FIRE LASER PRODUCTS 6P from the 2001 and prior era. I might have literally paid $1 for it, since items that wind up in the clearance center are sold by the pound. I bought it because I am ex-military, love the outdoors, and I always knew SureFire was the go-to when it came to tactical weapon lights. Shortly after purchasing it, I realized that this specific model is quite collectible and has some value.

I would really like to modify it and make it my own, which would include boring, Cerakote, LED drop-in, extra heads, tails, and a titanium pocket clip. I would like to get all of the original parts, and my aftermarket ones, coated in the Cerakote Elite Concrete color, but I am wondering how this will affect the value for such a timeless piece.

In your opinion as enthusiasts, should I:

1) Keep it original and instead build a 6P from a non-classic body.
or
2) Modify it and potentially decrease its value.

Thank you all for reading this and I look forward to being a part of the community. Attached are pictures of the light in question and some extra parts I have already acquired including a stock Z44 Bezel and a Malkoff MD3 Tailcap.

4VBmJgl_d.jpg

Kind regards,
- Frankie

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're worried about 'value' well, it's not so simple. I love the old school 6p and it's a classic for sure, but it not necessarily rare or otherwise only deserving of original co fiction.

I dont think boring the older ones is as good of an idea but I'm not an expert. Theres actually quite a few cells you can run that on today with 16650s and 17650s, or possible 2×16340s depending on the voltage of your dropin.

First things first, I'd bit a nice light engine. If you want something more true to the idea of Surefire, look no further than a Malkoff M61 dropin.

You could fo any of the SkyLumen P60s as well if you are looking for more of a hot rod.

Go nuts, or don't, I don't think. You can go wrong. I wouldn't bore it for fear of the walls around the threads. Being too thing afterwards but someone more knowledgable than I should chime in...

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of hard to see because the pic is very small, but it looks to be in excellent condition. If it's in mint condition and if it was up to me, I would just keep this one as is because of the collector status, and get a more modern 6p and mod that. To be honest, you can find later generation 6p very easily and for excellent prices.

808vudoo

Enlightened
Hi Frankie, congrats on a great score! There are still a few of us who love the "old school" look and feel of the original Incan set ups and that host is a classic. I Would suggest leaving that one intact with its years of history...

Congrats again on one of the best "dollar stories" I have heard in a while.

Aloha D

Last edited:

xifrankie

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for the input. I did not realize the picture is so small. I've tried uploading it somewhere else. It is in excellent condition.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like it's silly to mod it since there are a ton of clone bodies on the market you can use to get a similar look. I'd leave it stock, enjoy the history and build/mod a second light. But you should do what brings you the most enjoyment from your lights. They're just flashlights, not holy relics.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I have one like that in mint condition. I put a Malkoff M361W 3000K in it and left it as is.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome score!

A couple things that affect the use of that light for modding is the lexan lens which won't survive super high-output LED modules and the older smooth rubber button tailcap.
Does that one lockout if you unscrew it? Do the guts fall out?

Sounds like you got plans for serious mods, I would definitely choose a different 6P, one with a pyrex glass lens and newer tailcap. You could certainly enjoy that light on stock form, or use a 16650 and a moderately powered led module. Or you could sell it. Hunt around in WTS for good price ranges, up to you.

xifrankie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again guys! I think I've decided on keeping this one relatively un-modified. I will throw in a low power LED and use some rechargeable batteries that will fit the non-bored our body so I don't melt the lens.

To answer your question it does have the classic style "twisty" switch that falls out when the tailcap is removed. I believe the later versions did not fall out like this one does.

I snagged up a matching 9P "round body" this weekend to keep this classic light some company. And have plans to similarly throw in a LED lamp and some rechargeable batteries.

xifrankie

Newly Enlightened
Where is this place that has the lights lying around?!

So the 6P was in the bottom of a clearance bin at a donation store where you "pay by the lb". Needless to say it was quite cheap.

However, I paid $$$ for the 9P over on eBay.

I just couldn't let the 6P stay lonely. He needed a friend.