Going under the knife again - eye evisceration

LightChucker

Enlightened
If my avatar is visible, you will notice that I wear a patch over the blind eye; that is because the eye ball has withered and the pupil is not in alignment with the good eye. (Kinda distracting for my audience.)

It has been over 2 years since the final attempt to save the sight in my left eye from a detached retina. I underwent 11 surgeries, by 3 different surgeons, over a period of 5 months. All attempts failed. It was excrutiatingly painful and traumatic. Then, just when I was about to go back to work, a kidney stone put me back on the table. So, I was off work for 6 months.

The last eye surgery left me with a puddle of silicone oil in the eye ball. Its purpose was to hold the retina in place while it healed. As you know, oil floats on water, so this required that I maintain a "face-down" posture at all times for weeks. In fact, I had several surgeries like this that required me to do the face-down thing.

Unfortunately, the oil will eventually cause the eye to inflame, especially if it comes in contact with the cornea. The surgeon warned me that I should not sleep on my back. Two years ago, that was not a problem, I would simply sleep on my sides. But since then, I have developed back problems that make it very painful to sleep on my side. Now the eye is becoming increasingly painful, and sleep is very difficult. I am left with only one option: remove the eye and replace with a prosthetic. This will allow me to sleep on my back and stop the pain from the eye.

Surgery is scheduled for "April Fools Day" - 4/1/2004 at 8:50 AM Central Time.

The procedure is called "evisceration". DO NOT CLICK ON THIS IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE LOOKING AT SURGERY PICTURES!

In a nut shell, they remove the pupil, clean out the interior of the eye ball, drop in a foam ball, sew it closed, put in a temporary plastic shield, sew the eye lids together, and let it heal for 6-8 weeks. After it heals, an artist creates a plastic mold of the cavity under the eye lids, and creates an exact duplicate of the good eye. They even move together. In the pictures, it shows that they drop in a clear plastic ball, but that is an old technique. Today, they use a porous, white, plastic material that looks like a styrofoam ball.

They will also tighten the lower eye lids on both eyes. This is to prevent conjunctivitis. It seems that if you tend to get bags under your eyes (like I do), it can pull the eye lid away from the eye ball and lead to an infection. So, they remove a little sliver of skin to bring the lid back into contact with the eye.

I am very anxious about doing this, because since having all those sergeries 2 years ago, my overall health has gone in the toilet. For example, I have had a TIA (small stroke) that is caused by atrial fibrillation (irregular heart rythm). To treat that, I must take blood thinner to prevent the formation of blood clots. Unfortunately, I must stop taking the blood thinner for 4 days prior to the sergery, and 4 days after. That means I will be at high risk of another stroke or heart attack. To mitigate that, I must give myself injections of a different thinner, called Lovenox. I have to inject this twice a day - in my stomach. OUCH! The belly gets very black from bruising.

Any way, I would appreciate your prayers. Maybe turn your favorite light on for me that day at about 8:50 AM, Central Time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Thanks for reading.

Chuck

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will send some prayers your way!

i am familiar with most of what you posted. good thing you are on anticoagulation after those TIA's.

but, maybe after you heal from this surgery, you will have a more normalized life? the threat of TIA will still be there, but maybe you can so some light exercise or go to Disney!

take care,
Bob

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to read of your numerous health problems. It's a shame that you and others, here at the CPF, have to suffer to the extent that every day is a challenge or painfull. Those who've shared their tribulations on this forum make me glad that my biggest problem is only unemployment - it's really small potatoes compared to serious health problems. Good luck, LightChucker.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:

i am familiar with most of what you posted. good thing you are on anticoagulation after those TIA's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the prayers, Bob.

Does this mean that you have had TIA's too?

Chuck

Mutie

Enlightened
You'll be in my thoughts. Best of luck. I've had cataract surgery twice now on both eyes but the worst that happened was for my vision to come back when one eye got some blood in it. Your situation sounds way more traumatic.

Mutech

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
jayflash said:
... my biggest problem is only unemployment - it's really small potatoes compared to serious health problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

jayflash, I am sorry to hear of the unemployment problem. I have been in that position more times than I care to remember. In fact, another reason that I am going to go ahead with this surgery is that my company has announced plans to "outsource" all IT (computer-related) jobs by the end of the year. I may or may not have insurance to pay for this if that happens. At my age and my health, losing my job and insurance could be life-threatening.

Were you outsourced?

How long have you been out of work?

How are your prospects?

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kubolaw said:
Good luck LightChucker. Hope everything goes smoothly. I'll wing a prayer in your direction.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the prayers, John!

Chuck

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me like you will have to go through real Good Friday. I will remember you at the altar while saying a mass.

Wish you that your surgery pass without complications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the prayers, Bob.

Does this mean that you have had TIA's too?

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

no, thank god.

but i am an RN, so i see people that have suffered this.
stokes are SCARY with a capital "S"!

also, a family friend who is like a dad to me had some TIA's, i recognized this and sent him to the doc. he is a wonderful tough old German guy--doesnt like docs, but listened to me.

anyway--i believe things will go well for you.

i read something recently that struck me: "God gives us what we can handle".

therefore, you must be ONE TOUGH GUY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

heck...i dont even like having my teeth cleaned... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take care,
Bob

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chuck, I wish you well and will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Wilkey

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Prayers coming at you from me to Chuck. Good luck.
mut
Keep us posted

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cosco said:
Seems to me like you will have to go through real Good Friday. I will remember you at the altar while saying a mass.

Wish you that your surgery pass without complications. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you so much, cosco! God bless you in return.

Chuck

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
mut said:
Prayers coming at you from me to Chuck. Good luck.
mut
Keep us posted

[/ QUOTE ]

It's good to hear from you, mut. I hope you are still enjoying your McLux!

Thank you for your prayers.

Chuck

Latest posts