Imalent        
Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Default Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

*LAST UPDATED 8 MAY 2014*

we all have cells lying around that are half dead, because they dont run our lights at nice powerful outputs anymore...so what are the lights that run depleted cells well on the various battery form factors?
    i was thiking of making this a master listing thread for those...and make them commercially available lights...yes i know the milky candle exists, but im wondering whats on the commercial market too...

EDIT: 8 May 2014, Better late than never?
    Light Battery Type Battery Configuration Contibutor
    PALight Range 9 volt 1 omega man
    "Windeal" From Ebay AA 1 Gregozedobe
    4sevens Quark Mini AA AA 1 Flying_Turtle
    Dorcy 2AA AA 2 Lynx_Arc
    Gerber Recon AA AA 1 Harry999
    Maratac AA AA 1 red02
    Nitecore D11.2 AA 1 Flying_Turtle
    Princeton Tec Attitude AA 4 Jake.t
    ThruNite T10 AA 1 PCC
    Gerber Recon AA 1 angelofwar
    Opalec NewBeam for MiniMag AA 2 Sinjz
    UK 4 eLed AA 4 Led Thrift
    CMG Infinity AA 1 greenLED
    Fenix L2D-CE AA 2 ValhallaPrime
    Gerber Trio AA 2 AFAustin
    Inova X1 gen2 AA 1 jumpstat
    Peak Logan 17500 QTC AA/AAA/CR123A 1 archimedes
    BB Nexgen from Sandwich Shoppe AA/CR123A 2AA/1 CR123A LowLumen
    Quark Low Voltage Head AA/CR123A 1 (with adaptor) reppans
    Coast led lenser Mini Tac TT7830CP AAA 1 Light Sabre
    iTP C8 AAA 1/2 shark_za
    KaiDomain "Buckle" AAA light AAA 1 swxb12
    Olight/iTp i3(AAA) AAA 1 HighlanderNorth, JohnnyLunar
    Task Force 1AA AAA 1 Flying Turtle
    4Sevens Preon 1 AAA 1 PCC
    Dorcy 1 Led 1 AAA AAA 1 p1fiend
    Fenix LD10 AAA 1 wjv
    Rayovac penlight AAA 1 RCM
    Arc AAA AAA 1 greenLED
    Fenix E0 AAA 1 -
    Fenix E01 AAA 1 -
    Peak Matterhorn AAA 1 AFAustin
    Jetbeam BC10 CR123A 1 think2x
    Jetbeam BC10 CR123A 1 think2x
    Malkoff M60 CR123A Multiple Swedpat
    McLuxIII-PD CR123A 1 KenAnderson
    McLuxIII-Ti-PD CR123A 1 KenAnderson
    Pierce M10 CR123A 1 Playboyjoeshmoe
    Solarforce LV P60 CR123A 1 shao.fu.tzer
    Sportac P60 CR123A Mulitple cland72
    Surefire A2 CR123A 2 jh333233
    Surefire L1 (5th Gen) CR123A 1 Kestrel, angelofwar
    Surefire T1A CR123A 1 jh333233
    Surefire A2L-RD CR123A 1 (with adaptor) think2x
    Thrunite Neutron 1C CR123A 1 shao.fu.tzer
    Thrunite XM-L D26 CR123A 1 JohnnyLunar
    Inova X5 CR123A 2 -
    Inova X5 (red) CR123A 1 marduke
    4sevens Quark MiNi 123 CR123A 1 fisk-king
    Arc Ls (Original Model) CR123A 1 greenLED
    Dorcy 1 watt CR123 CR123A 1 TMorita
    HDS on lowest setting CR123A 1 Thermal Guy
    Inova 24/7 CR123A 1 Joe Talmadge
    Lightflux LF3XT CR123A 1 Flying_Turtle
    Nitecore Extreme CR123A 1 VF1Jskull1
    Peak McKinley CR123A 1 AFAustin
    Ra Clicky/Ra Twisty CR123A 1 270winchester
    Smith & Wesson 9X Galaxy CR123A 2 angelofwar
    Surefire L1 CR123A 1 Flying_Turtle
    Tekna Splash-Lite LED CR123A 1 louroy
    Zebralight H30 CR123A 1 Playboyjoeshmoe
    Elektrolumens Lights D Mulitple subumbra
    Eveready 1D LED D 1/2 Lynx_Arc
    MJLed D Mulitple tebore
    Nite Ize PR Bulb Led Upgrade D Mulitple marduke
    MAGled 2 cell Multiple - PCC
    P60 5mm LED Drop-in Multiple - M@elstrom
    Streamlight Twin Task Multiple - PlayboyJoeShmoe
    PEAK LED SOLUTIONS Shasta N 1 RAGE CAGE

Running "dead" CR123A in this configuration has been known to cause explosions (see disclaimer) It is highly NOT reccomended

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78843
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...t=120888&pp=30

Homemade/Cpfer Made/Modified
    These are not necesarily always available, and some are DIY

abvidledUK's home made 9V
    MilkyCandle
    Surefire E-Series MicroTower (E-MT) F1 LED drop-in, Thanks Bullzeyebill
    Build Yer Own Vampire
    The Sandwich Shoppe's Mad Max drivers

please post additional battery types if need be,
    and ill update this post as more posts come in..

im guessing that any light here will probably be also suitable as a "long run time" light...

Crenshaw

Disclaimer
    There is a risk involved in running lithium cells totally dry in a light, please search "exploding batteries" BEFORE trying this, and if you do try, you do so at your own risk...

Default Re: Battery Vampires

Inova X5 for 1xCR123 also (red version)
    NiteIze PR base for D's

I use 2 "dead" AA's for my Smith & Wesson Galaxy (Red LEDS)
    1 "dead" AA on my Gerber Recon
    And 2 "dead" cr123's to run the 9 white LEDs on another S & W Galaxy (the 9 LED/xenon model)

Running 2xCR123 cells dry in a light is probably not a good idea...

There has been quite a bit written about this.

My Dorcy 1xAAA 1-LED light (from Walmart) has been trucking along on an exhausted AAA alkaline that won't light up the big boys like LODs or A1s. Still puts out a very useable amount of light too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub_Umbra View Post

True, good point to remind us all of.

However the X5 seems to be quite gentle on exhausted 123 cells.

How about an Opalec for the AA's in any combination from 2 to 6 cells?

I have one on a two cell MiniMag with multiple +1AA extensions.

@subumbra
    I suppose you mean the the exploding cell effect? true... but still, its rare....this listing will hence forth be at owner's risk...

Crenshaw

I thought, unlike the multi-cell lights that use circuits to draw high current, that the Inova X5 was safe with two cells because it just uses a resistor and doesn't draw more than what the battery want to push out. is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    @subumbra
    I suppose you mean the the exploding cell effect? true... but still, its rare....this listing will hence forth be at owner's risk...

Crenshaw
    Cool -- as long as you don't mind the occasional light blowing up in your pocket and possibly bursting into flames -- hey, I've got no problem with that!.

But then, for those who may have an aversion to explosions happening in their pockets, they would be well advised to avoid these events you discribe as rare. It may just be that you are able to describe these events as rare because the majority of users are well informed enough to not draw pairs of CR123 cells down to the point where one of the cells causes the other to charge in reverse polarity...and then make a mess.

Sooo...I'm just trying to say that when you put the 2xCR123 scenario into your original post it was something that should be removed because it has been shown to present a well known hazardous condition.

If you insist on asserting that this well known danger is, in your words, "rare", perhaps it would make more sense to address this issue in a thread of it's own where the safety issues could be more clearly addressed without muddying the broader issues of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinjz View Post
    I thought, unlike the multi-cell lights that use circuits to draw high current, that the Inova X5 was safe with two cells because it just uses a resistor and doesn't draw more than what the battery want to push out. is that wrong?
    This situation is muddied by the fact that the INOVA X5 red is often recommended as a great light to draw the last out of a 123 cell. While this is true, it is very important to remember that the INOVA X5 with a red LED only uses one cr123 cell.

The INOVA X5 Red is not a 2xcr123 light.

Flashaholic*

Somebody jacked my red X5 from my house...think it was my roommate's drunk friends....grrr have to hunt down a new one....
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Cool -- as long as you don't mind the occasional light blowing up in your pocket and possibly bursting into flames -- hey, I've got no problem with that!.

But then, for those who may have an aversion to explosions happening in their pockets, they would be well advised to avoid these events you discribe as rare. It may just be that you are able to describe these events as rare because the majority of users are well informed enough to not draw pairs of CR123 cells down to the point where one of the cells causes the other to charge in reverse polarity...and then make a mess.

Sooo...I'm just trying to say that when you put the 2xCR123 scenario into your original post it was something that should be removed because it has been shown to present a well known hazardous condition.

If you insist on asserting that this well known danger is, in your words, "rare", perhaps it would make more sense to address this issue in a thread of it's own where the safety issues could be more clearly addressed without muddying the broader issues of this thread.
    the issue has already been adressed in many threads, so i wont start a new one, i am here just listing possibilities, and in fact, putting 2xCR123A and adding a warning behind it, which i will do, may do better then to not at all, being that at least if a newer flashaholic reads this thread wondering what to do with thier "dead" batteries, they will know what can and should be done, and what can,but should not be done.Thanks for the heads up subumbra..

that being said, Im sure you have used CR123A batteries that do not work in Incans in your LED lights before ?
    and the danger was identified as using 2 different CR123A batteries. Meaning, they were from different lights, and therefore in different states of discharge, that was the danger. Two batteries from the same light will have had the same dicharge. If that were not the case, then we wouldnt bee able to use any kind of 2XCR123A lights even with new batteries, because of the risk that they start running low, they might explode..

Crenshaw

Many measurements have shown that 2x123 lights often end up with their cells in unequal states of discharge, for reasons nobody has ever figured out clearly, despite repeated experimental confirmation. So, don't count on them being equal.

Really, if you're making enough depleted cells for this kind of recovery to be worthwhile, maybe you should look into using rechargeables more of the time.

That said, I did some tests a while back that found the Arc AAA could keep getting light out of an almost dead AAA cell. Even after it gave out, you could rest the cell for a while and then run it some more.

Default Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Vampires don't feed on dead animals. They feed on live ones.

You haven't watched enough horror movies!!!

For 1xCR123 I would add the Dorcy 1 watt CR123. It will emit a fair amount of light on batteries that are completely dead in my other lights.

Toshi

Unenlightened

Default Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

I run my used CR123 cells down in my Lithium Glo-Toobs. One CR123 per Glo-Toob...

Great question.

I have a pile of partly-used primary 123As that I have been feeding to a SF E1L cree.

I've been meaning to ask folks what's a good, cheap, well-regulated, safe light to do this with, as my E1L seems destined for more important missions.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ajairlines View Post
    I run my used CR123 cells down in my Lithium Glo-Toobs. One CR123 per Glo-Toob...
    Same here the lil guy is starting to grow on me!

Mayo
    Torch Collection

*Where fact is fiction and TV, reality*

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    the issue has already been adressed in many threads, so i wont start a new one, i am here just listing possibilities, and in fact, putting 2xCR123A and adding a warning behind it, which i will do, may do better then to not at all, being that at least if a newer flashaholic reads this thread wondering what to do with thier "dead" batteries, they will know what can and should be done, and what can,but should not be done.Thanks for the heads up subumbra..

that being said, Im sure you have used CR123A batteries that do not work in Incans in your LED lights before ?
    and the danger was identified as using 2 different CR123A batteries. Meaning, they were from different lights, and therefore in different states of discharge, that was the danger. Two batteries from the same light will have had the same dicharge. If that were not the case, then we wouldnt bee able to use any kind of 2XCR123A lights even with new batteries, because of the risk that they start running low, they might explode..

Crenshaw
    Emphasis mine.

No, I haven't. My unstated actions are completely unknown to you. Kindly leave me out of your rationalizations.

The best single AA drainer I have is a 1 watt Task Force from Lowe's. I'm amazed how long it will continue to function, and fire back up after turning off even when the battery is almost dead. I also use it with a spacer to drain AAA batteries.

Geoff

My AA battery vampire is a North49 2 x AA with six 5mm LED. I made a little mod to put only one battery in it when I want to drain only one cell.

AA- CMG/Gerber Infinity or Infinity Ultra. LED color doesn't matter too much, my Ultra white gets fed used Discman cells and works well on them to read for a week or 2.
    AA-SMJLED or Wah Wang LED(both the bi-pin bare LEDs) in a host of your choice. I have one in a Mini Mag and one in a Ray-O-Vac Swivel Light. The output is dim but runs for weeks.
    CR123- Inova 24/7
    9v- Pak Lites, Sea Pals, Safe Lights,
    and all their incarnations. My Sea Pal is still running it's "Find Me" light after over 2 years constant on.
    The older Luxeon and 5mm LED lights are going to be pretty much your best or only bet with draining cells now.
    RIP Don and Mike Show. Long Live The Mike O'Meara Show!

Oh, and 1Xcr123's get drained on my 24/7's as well...

Another vote for a red Inova X5 for draining CR123a. It just keeps on going Excellent light to keep by the bedside.

Regards,
    Tempest

AA: CMG Task Light
    AAA: ArcAAA
    123: Inova X5, ArcLS, or SF L1 (Lux)

I have a Streamlite Twin Task 1L that has the tail drilled and tapped and a Kroll in it. The Incandescent beam ain't worth spit no matter WHAT shape the battery is in. But the 3 LEDs work pretty good down to LOW battery.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

The ELEKTRO LUMENS Blaster 1-D (one MicroPuck) will drain D cells that won't light anything else. It'll run for a week straight on a new D cell.

Flashaholic

Here's what we should all do - use nothing but 6D Mags.

This way, when the battery drops to 1.25V, switch to a 5cell bulb. When the battery goes down to 1V, switch to a 4cell bulb. 3cell bulb @ 0.75V, 2cell bulbs @ 0.5V, and finally, solitair bulb at 0.25V.

Who says you can't have perfect regulation on a stock Incan Mag?

Flashaholic*

Underwater Kinetics 4 AA eLED for used AA cells.
    PAL Light Safe Light for 9v cells.

One problem I've been running into with using worn down AA cells is that they leak more often. I need a light that is easy to clean out after a leak.

I've been having good luck running a CR123 below 1.65 volts with my Surefire E-Series MicroTower (E-MT) F1 LED drop in. The F1 uses a modified voltage regulated circuit.

Bill

Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast