Reducing output through custom tail cap.

M3aty

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I am on a sort of quest to build (IMO) a better WML for civilians. I wajt a light that has a constant on clicky button on the tail cap which will provide 3-5 lumens as a navigation light (for moving through the brush while night hunting) and a tape switch that will over-ride the nav light for full brightness both in momentary amd constant on function. In my dream this is an accessory tail cap that will thread on to z41 type lights like a malkoff or oveready or LF, etc.

Is it even possible? Is PWM the best way to acheive this?

LRJ88

Enlightened
Sounds like it wouldn't really be an issue to make that if you just have two forward switches in a module, one with a resistor on it so it doesn't let as much juice through and one that's just a full throttle. It depends somewhat on the flashlight that you want to use it on or the base for it.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you get a 1 mode light and wire a resistor across the switch in the tailcap that allows enough power for a few lumens of light out when you click the light on it will come on full brightness. The only thing about this is that you will have to have a light that you can lock out the always on low mode as it bypasses the switch.

M3aty

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so my initial thought was a resistor, but ky concerns were heat, and draw from battery. I really want to get good battery life out of it on low mode, and obviously dont want a light that gets molten hot.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
There won't be any noticeable heat from a resistor that only allows the light to run at 5 lumens as there won't be hardly any current going through it