Dazed and confused

Senna Fan

Newly Enlightened
I am a newbie personified! Please be patient.

I have a 2c Mag bored to accept 26mm cells. I really like the size and ergonomics of the 2c and therefore have no interest in using 65mm cells. I haven't decided on the front end yet. I'm either going to use a drop in such as an Adventure Sport unit or build something myself.

After reading so many posts concerning battery safety with lithium cells, and unprotected cells in particular, I feel like throwing in the towel before I even get started! I bought a pair of EVO Gimbals IMR 26500's and bored the tube to fit them nicely before reading a word about what path I was venturing down. All I knew was that I wanted as much runtime as I could fit into this light. You see, there are very few 26500 cells on the market (by reputable companies) and ZERO protected offerings! After all that I read, I'm genuinely concerned about using unprotected cells.

I want to enjoy this light without worrying that by simply using it, I may use it for too long thereby discharging the cells to the point of possible danger. I don't know how to, nor do I have interest in checking my battery levels while I'm outside - in the dark - in need of the very flashlight I'm using. Hauling around a second pair of batteries is not an option. I paid $38.52 for this pair from Amazon. I don't have $77.00 to spend on batteries that I can only use in relative safety for about 20 minutes before I feel as though my own safety is at risk. Is it accurate that when a 3.7 volt cell drops below 3 volts you need to stop using it and put it back on a charger? Really, less than 1 volt from
3.7 - 4.2? Please clear this up for me if I got it all wrong.

Ok, enough on over discharging concerns. Now let's talk about overcharging. Just kidding. My whole reason for this lengthy diatribe is that I much rather error on the side of caution.

So here is my dilemma, am I being too much of an alarmist? Are IMR cells inherently dangerous if not closely monitored? If this is the case, is my only alternative then to use 18500's with a sleeve? The IMR 26500 cells are rated at 3,600 mAh and I believe Keeppower offers a 2,300 mAh 18500 protected cell. Is this a substantial performance difference? I don't know what to do. I'd like some feedback or direction from the good folks here on CPF. If given the choice, which power source would you choose? All responses welcome, just keep the technical verbiage a few levels below "NASA speak" for us laymen.

Lastly, I also have an Ultrafire "6P" style host using a Malkoff M91B with 2 Keeppower IMR 18350's. I just found (and ordered) a single 18350 extender tube offered by Lumens Factory so I can switch to a pair of protected 18500 cells.

Thanks for reading! Hope it wasn't too long for my first post!

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a newbie personified! Please be patient.

I have a 2c Mag bored to accept 26mm cells. I really like the size and ergonomics of the 2c and therefore have no interest in using 65mm cells. I haven't decided on the front end yet. I'm either going to use a drop in such as an Adventure Sport unit or build something myself.

After reading so many posts concerning battery safety with lithium cells, and unprotected cells in particular, I feel like throwing in the towel before I even get started! I bought a pair of EVO Gimbals IMR 26500's and bored the tube to fit them nicely before reading a word about what path I was venturing down. All I knew was that I wanted as much runtime as I could fit into this light. You see, there are very few 26500 cells on the market (by reputable companies) and ZERO protected offerings! After all that I read, I'm genuinely concerned about using unprotected cells.

I want to enjoy this light without worrying that by simply using it, I may use it for too long thereby discharging the cells to the point of possible danger. I don't know how to, nor do I have interest in checking my battery levels while I'm outside - in the dark - in need of the very flashlight I'm using. Hauling around a second pair of batteries is not an option. I paid $38.52 for this pair from Amazon. I don't have $77.00 to spend on batteries that I can only use in relative safety for about 20 minutes before I feel as though my own safety is at risk. Is it accurate that when a 3.7 volt cell drops below 3 volts you need to stop using it and put it back on a charger? Really, less than 1 volt from
3.7 - 4.2? Please clear this up for me if I got it all wrong.

Ok, enough on over discharging concerns. Now let's talk about overcharging. Just kidding. My whole reason for this lengthy diatribe is that I much rather error on the side of caution.

So here is my dilemma, am I being too much of an alarmist? Are IMR cells inherently dangerous if not closely monitored? If this is the case, is my only alternative then to use 18500's with a sleeve? The IMR 26500 cells are rated at 3,600 mAh and I believe Keeppower offers a 2,300 mAh 18500 protected cell. Is this a substantial performance difference? I don't know what to do. I'd like some feedback or direction from the good folks here on CPF. If given the choice, which power source would you choose? All responses welcome, just keep the technical verbiage a few levels below "NASA speak" for us laymen.

Lastly, I also have an Ultrafire "6P" style host using a Malkoff M91B with 2 Keeppower IMR 18350's. I just found (and ordered) a single 18350 extender tube offered by Lumens Factory so I can switch to a pair of protected 18500 cells.

Thanks for reading! Hope it wasn't too long for my first post!

Yup it really is one volt! But that is how they are measured. Ever try starting your car with a battery that is sitting at 11 volts? To me it seems you have already jumped into the pool at the deep end before realizing that you were going swimming, not bathing.

I use IMR cells in several of my own lights, lights that all have their own voltage monitoring circuitry. Interestingly, the price you paid for those cells would have covered the cost of a Wowtac A1S (also on Amazon), which comes with it's own protected cell that has a built in USB charger and powers the light just fine, delivering a little over a thousand lumens, which is brighter by far than your incandescent mag light. It would also fit in your pocket.

I am trying to be helpful but you have already bought this stuff. If I could I would tell you to save a bit more money for something you don't have to really think about.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected cells are a must for multiple cells in series. Even for single cells in lights without low Voltage cut off, I much prefer protected cells.

I use keep power protected 21700 5000 mAh cells in unbored 2C ML25 and ML50 Mags using 3D printed adapters which gives very good run time. Keep power has a protected 5500 mAh 26650 that I use in 2D Mags that should work in a bored out C cell light with an adapter.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I guess I live dangerously but I use unprotected cells together very frequently. They are however purchased as a pair, used, charged and tested as a pair only. Testing is to see if they are close to each other. I also test them after each charging and monitor their performance to make sure they are behaving the way they should. These are only high quality cells, I should add.

I think with some caution it is fairly safe. But you mentioned not wanting to do any of that, so I'd suggest you don't.

Party at the moon tower.