Resurected a 3C Maglite

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, finally I think I will have a brand new (old) 3C Maglite to play with.

It now will consist of the light with standard end cap/spring, 2x 21700 protected 5000mAh cells, Philips 5761 G4 bulb, AW soft start switch/mechanism and FM reflector/glass in original head. (have these two items over ten years)

It looks like a standard 3C light but will work a treat......Just got to wait for some of the parts.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats! I still love my incan Mag mods and AW softstart for Mag C is still on my list to find.
Let us know how did it go.

Sent from Tapatalk

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the good old days.... Been a while since I played with an AW soft start. Philips 5761 in a 2C mag was one of my first incan builds. What a great light. I actually still have the parts from Jimmy M for 2 high power regulated incan mags I just haven't got around to building yet.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree about the good old days, because of the shutdown situation I have opened my "box" of goodies and remembered how good it is to turn on a 700 to 2000 lumen incan with a refreshing to the eyes beam colour.

Have a small collection of LED lights that I will let go, don't know why I ever became a traitor to my incans, guess I gave in to the hype.

And the beauty is that the Philips 5761 is available and easy to get, unlike some other older and popular bulbs.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I was lucky enough to score one of these AW Soft Start Switches for D Cell, but I haven't done much with it yet.

Seeing those glowing Halogen/Xenon beams cutting through the air really reminds you of how dead and lifeless LED's really are.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just finished my come-alive 3xC Maglite.
Using 2x21700 with electrical tape (I think its 5/8th" wide) around the middle of the battery to the ideal thickness (trial and error in how much tape you put on)
The batteries stay straight and centred and don't rattle, no need to buy anything other than one roll of electrical tape maybe worth a dollar.
The Philips 5761 in FM smooth reflector and using the AW soft start switch.
Works perfectly

I did the same on my D Maglite with extension tube. I am now using 3x26650 again with electrical tape around the middle of the battery, this time using a FM1909, the rest is the same as on my C Mag.
Also works perfectly......

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have all my lights with me right now but this time of year always makes me yearn for a quality incandescent/high-CRI/warm tinted beam.

I haven't looked at lights in awhile and didn't realize that the 21700 format was now being sold in protected 5000mAh capacities!

That's awesome, and, unless I am mistaken, does away with the need to bore out "C" tubes or find the wider varieties.

I'd love to have a regulated 5761 or even just a good 3C with an AW soft start switch.

vestureofblood and cernobila—or anyone else browsing this thread—if you ever decide to part with either of your incandescent toys, I'd love to have a 3C with incandescent now that this protected 2x21700 is here! :)

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I just finished my come-alive 3xC Maglite.
Using 2x21700 with electrical tape (I think its 5/8th" wide) around the middle of the battery to the ideal thickness (trial and error in how much tape you put on)
The batteries stay straight and centred and don't rattle, no need to buy anything other than one roll of electrical tape maybe worth a dollar.
The Philips 5761 in FM smooth reflector and using the AW soft start switch.
Works perfectly

I did the same on my D Maglite with extension tube. I am now using 3x26650 again with electrical tape around the middle of the battery, this time using a FM1909, the rest is the same as on my C Mag.
Also works perfectly......

Good work!

I assume everything in your Maglite 3C is a stock xenon model - no deep tail cap spring mod.

Is the tail cap spring really tight or loose when screwing the tail cap on with the 2x21700 inside?

How long are your 21700? I assume around 72mm?

BTW, can you measure a few things for me (in mm) at your convenience?
1) how deep is the tail cap cavity? (from top of threads to bottom of cavity)
2) how deep is larger diameter head cavity with bezel off, reflector out. (from top of bezel threads to bottom of reflector cavity)

Thank you.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good work!

I assume everything in your Maglite 3C is a stock xenon model - no deep tail cap spring mod. This is correct, the only non standard thing is the AW soft start three level switch/mechanism instead of the original.

Is the tail cap spring really tight or loose when screwing the tail cap on with the 2x21700 inside? The spring is now the original and ideal pressure on the cells.

How long are your 21700? I assume around 72mm? These are 74mm.

BTW, can you measure a few things for me (in mm) at your convenience?
1) how deep is the tail cap cavity? (from top of threads to bottom of cavity) 29mm
2) how deep is larger diameter head cavity with bezel off, reflector out. (from top of bezel threads to bottom of reflector cavity) This one I am not sure what you mean, sorry. I use the regular reflectors (without the focus cones) from Fivemega in my Maglites in combination with the AW softstarts.

Thank you.

Responses inside your thread, hope this is of some help.....

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the good old days.... Been a while since I played with an AW soft start. Philips 5761 in a 2C mag was one of my first incan builds. What a great light. I actually still have the parts from Jimmy M for 2 high power regulated incan mags I just haven't got around to building yet.

Have you considered to offer a setup ready and easy to install in a stock Maglite? If so I am interested. :popcorn:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are 75mm and pair of them is exactly same length of 3C.

Just for the sake of clarification, will a pair of those 21700 cells fit in a stock 3C (that has the stock switch), with no modifications needed?
If they do fit the battery tube that easily, it might make a nice ROP, after replacing the reflector and lens.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for the sake of clarification, will a pair of those 21700 cells fit in a stock 3C (that has the stock switch), with no modifications needed?
No switch modification needed but to prevent cells rattle, you will need to keep 21.5mm wide cells center.
If they do fit the battery tube that easily, it might make a nice ROP, after replacing the reflector and lens.
My protected KeepPower cells require double click to fire up 3854H (24W) bulb but if you can find an WA1111 or similar 20 watt bulb, then you will have very nice set up.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
so, I have a 2xC Maglite with three FM available extenders using a short tailcap spring.
Inside I have 2x21700 Keeppower protected cells with electrical tape around the middle of each cell to make up the correct thickness inside the light to centre them and prevent rattle.
The light has the original switch, FM orange peel standard reflector, a glass lens and I run the 3853 L bulb in it. I will try the 3853 H and see what happens....

back in a sec.

ok, I tried the 3853 H in the light with the standard original switch and it works no problem......
The 3854's may be an issue.....

Last edited:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask for one more measurement?

With the head completely unscrewed and off, what is the depth/length of front-end tube cavity? - from head-end of tube, down to flat disk-shaped plastic switch body.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
May I ask for one more measurement?

With the head completely unscrewed and off, what is the depth/length of front-end tube cavity? - from head-end of tube, down to flat disk-shaped plastic switch body.

Not sure if I understood what you want to measure, but here goes......from the end of the tube to the inside first flat area under the bulb section.....5 mm.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi cernobila,

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it! Gotta love this community and its very helpful members like cernobila!