SF M4 vs TL?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the light output and throw of the Surefire M4 LOLA compare to a stock Tigerlight?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd put the Tigerlight as having a bit more lumens than the M4 LOLA. The M4's beam is much smoother, with a bigger hotspot. The Tigerlight's beam is objectionably artifact-y, but nowhere near SF smooth. It has a smaller, much brighter hotspot that throws much farther.

Were I using these as tactical lights, I'd prefer the M4 in a house, the Tigerlight in a warehouse.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
My TigerLight also throws farther than my M4. However, on HOLA (I know you didn't ask specifically), the TigerLight outthrows it by a little bit, but the M4 lights up a bigger area.

Like Joe said, however, the M4 has a smoother beam and a bigger hotspot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Joe Talmadge said:
I'd put the Tigerlight as having a bit more lumens than the M4 LOLA. The M4's beam is much smoother, with a bigger hotspot. The Tigerlight's beam is objectionably artifact-y, but nowhere near SF smooth.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, I meant to say that the Tigerlight's beam is not objectionably artifact-y. It's not SF smooth, but it's not horrible.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replies! I guess it all boils down to one question: Is the M4 worth over 2x the cost of the TL?

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Depends on what you plan to use it for.

Both:
- HA III
- nice and bright /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
- water resistant

TigerLight pros
- shorter (the FBOP version, that is)
- rechargeable (guilt free)
- better throw
- cheaper

TigerLight cons
- uglier (personal opinion)
- 10 hr trickle charger
- stock plastic lense (can be easily switched for a UCL)
- heavier

SureFire M4 pros
- nicer beam/wider beam
- LOLA or HOLA
- parts swappable with other SureFires
- can accept 168s (for some setups)
- stock pyrex lense

SureFire M4 cons
- battery cost
- cost of the light
- kind of long and skinny
- head may be a little heavy (balance is ok for me, though)

I like to use both lights, but I have been using my M4 more, mainly b/c I usually don't need *that* much throw and because I just bought it recently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I usually swap out the batteries pretty early on and then drop them in my LED lights. But then again, the TigerLight is rechargeable, so that's always a plus in my books.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
In all honesty, I'm directed people who ask towards Tigerlight these days. I don't like to think of it in terms of whether the M4 is "worth" more. There's no non-rechargeable out there quite like the M4 or M6, and there's no doubt that they are very high quality lights. But I can get the performance I want from a Tigerlight, provided I'm willing to deal with the heavier weight and the fact that it's a rechargeable (I think staying on top of rechargeable batteries is a pain). And using the TL feels "free", since it's rechargeable.

I'd be looking at the M4 if I felt the light was only going to be used infrequently, so that 1. battery costs aren't an issue, and 2. it is critical that I always have a feel for the charge state of the batteries.

I imagine if you want a more M4ish beam from the TL, you can use some write-right.

Joe