HDS A Pragmatic Perspective on COVID-19

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry, enjoyed reading your position paper from the HDS website - "A Pragmatic Perspective on COVID-19"

A couple of thoughts:

Some antibody testing results suggested that 25% of people in NYC had COVID-19 and 13% of people in rural New York State had the virus. Let's make a crazy assumption that 15% of the US population (330 million) has had COVID-19 as of July 15, 2020. That is 49.5 million people. If death from COVID-19 is 138,000 so far, the death rate is approximately .3%. That means that 99.7% of the people that contract COVID-19 will not die from it. If half the population will be exposed the total deaths will be less than 500,000 people.

Our health experts really blew it by not recommending from the start that all people wear surgical masks to prevent the spread by asymptomatic people. Lastly, forget the concept of contact tracing especially in major cities where it costs money to get tested. No one is going to turn in their friends and relatives to make them spend between $250 and $1,800 to get tested.

Hospitals and people have been able to learn, practice, and prepare for COVID-19 for four months now - 1/2 March, April, May, June, 1/2 July. Time to fully open the economy and have everyone wear masks that cannot social distance.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was interesting what Henry was writing. There were a lot parts I agree with him, but also some parts I think completely different.

But the most important question is if we really want to start with a 2nd thread regarding Corona. I guess it is quite difficult to keep the Corona thread in the Cafe in the way it is expected by the forum owner and the moderators. My guess it it should be only one Corona thread.....

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not know that there was another thread on these forums. Henry put his paper on the HDS website so I thought it deserved notice. My feelings will not be hurt if this thread disappears quickly.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Henry put his paper on the HDS website so I thought it deserved notice....

Thank you for mentioning this article, as I had not yet noticed it.

Hogo can decide if there is enough of an "HDS spin" on this topic to warrant a separate thread here.

Reading that final section discussing bat virology, I realize that it never fails to amaze me the incredible range of knowledge and expertise that we have among our CPF members ....

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Yep I didn't know about article, thanks for posting! I wouldn't have seen this in the Rona thread. Henry is a good writer, enjoyed the article.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for mentioning this article, as I had not yet noticed it.

Hogo can decide if there is enough of an "HDS spin" on this topic to warrant a separate thread here.

Reading that final section discussing bat virology, I realize that it never fails to amaze me the incredible range of knowledge and expertise that we have among our CPF members ....

Henry knows quite a lot about bat virology as white nose has been a concern for cavers for quite awhile now. BLM (the original... Bureau of Land Management) is constantly making up new rules and regulations for cavers concerning white nose... usually based on what the government bureaucrats base most things on... ignorance and stupidity.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes interesting read on HDS website, thanks for pointing it out. In fact, anyone looking to learn about flashlights/LEDs/light would do well to read Henry's information. It helped me immensely back in 2013 when I was trying to understand all the banter here on cpf.

We are clearly seeing less bats this summer; very concerning. Seems like the spelunkers can practice good precautions just in case.

Last edited: