Imalent        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic Mental Health - How YOU doin'?

Default Re: Pandemic Mental Health - How YOU doin'?

From what I've seen... I'd say it's illuminating the bad traits not causing them.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

I am doing well. Haven’t missed a day of work during this whole thing. A blessing or a curse? Don’t know yet. As for the mask thing, I am a shamer, and proud of it. A guy I directly work with every day has COVID-19. He found out last Friday after spending the better part of two days coughing and sniffling all in the store where we work. He’s the only person there who claims a “medical” condition so he doesn’t have to wear a mask. After testing positive, he told HR that he must’ve got sick from someone at work because he “doesn’t go anywhere.” We are all in the process of getting tested...
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    I am doing well. Haven’t missed a day of work during this whole thing. A blessing or a curse? Don’t know yet. As for the mask thing, I am a shamer, and proud of it. A guy I directly work with every day has COVID-19. He found out last Friday after spending the better part of two days coughing and sniffling all in the store where we work. He’s the only person there who claims a “medical” condition so he doesn’t have to wear a mask. After testing positive, he told HR that he must’ve got sick from someone at work because he “doesn’t go anywhere.” We are all in the process of getting tested...
    Not sure shaming him makes sense since everyone tells us that masks don't protect you from the virus it protects the people from you if you have it. If everyone around him is wearing masks then a masked person infected him with it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    Not sure shaming him makes sense since everyone tells us that masks don't protect you from the virus it protects the people from you if you have it. If everyone around him is wearing masks then a masked person infected him with it.
    I didn’t mean him, I meant that in general, I’m a shamer to those I see without masks. The grocery stores, Dunkin, CVS, Wawa; anywhere I see an adult without one, they get that stare where they know I’m burning them up. They always look away. Always. And honestly, I don’t care how you look at it (my mask protects you or your mask protects me or my mask protects me or your mask protects you), I feel like folks should just put one on or stay away from others. Btw, folks that wear their masks off of their nose and/or mouth get the same stare...

Everyone around him at work is wearing a mask, but, does he ever stop for gas and go inside to pay? Has he been to the local 7-11 unmasked like at work? I know he’s picked himself up lunch at places unmasked. The logical probability is very high that yes, he has done those things. My guess is that he told HR some straight BS so that he could collect his 14 days of COVID pay.

It’s funny/not funny to me to see exactly what people choose to err on the side of caution about versus what they blow off with a simple hand wave...
    The beauty of Science hugely outranks the charms of superstition

What part of the 'defunding police' conversation is more appropriate in this 'mental health' thread than the CPF Underground ??

I got a new version of the E01 today.

Mentally I'm doing great. Physically? Well I am doing crunches twice a day now……
    Captain in the morning, Nestle in the afternoon.

My mental state about life at work ^^
    John 3:16

Funny bykfixer

From the NY Times
    Look after your mental health

The psychological effects of the pandemic are coming into sharper focus as the months drag on. More than half of American adults believe the crisis is taking a toll on their mental health, a recent poll found. One of them is Michelle Obama, who this week said she was experiencing “low-grade depression” connected to the effects of quarantine and the current political climate.

To help people hit the reset button on stress and anxiety, Jenny Taitz, an assistant clinical professor in psychiatry at the University of California, Los Angeles, has offered five quick coping strategies:

• Lower your body temperature to help regulate intense emotions and slow your heart rate. Try dipping your face into a bowl of ice water for 15 to 30 seconds.
    • Pace your breathing by consciously inhaling and exhaling, slowing your breaths to six a minute. This can help lower blood pressure, among other physiological benefits.
    • Listen to relaxing music, such as Marconi Union’s “Weightless.”
    • Practice “anchoring” by digging your heels into the floor and observing what you’re thinking and feeling. Evaluate whether those thoughts are helpful.
    • Improve your tolerance of stressful physical sensations by replicating them in quieter moments. For example, you can try hyperventilating by breathing through a coffee straw for one minute.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

That slow breathing exercise is 'gold'; most of us would be better off to incorporate such things as biofeedback into our daily routines.

I find taking a walk in a park where it is quiet quite useful for depression and stress myself but it has often been very muggy and hot at night here the uncomfortableness puts a big damper on any stress relieving.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Biofeedback might be beneficial, but I like the idea of Michelle Obama dipping her face in a bowl of ice water for 15 to 30 minutes.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Biofeedback might be beneficial, but I like the idea of Michelle Obama dipping her face in a bowl of ice water for 15 to 30 minutes.
    LOL... missed you, where have you been with your humor?
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic

I usually find watching my hummingbirds interact quite peaceful and relaxing. The pileated woodpeckers can be humorous as well.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildude View Post
    I usually find watching my hummingbirds interact quite peaceful and relaxing. The pileated woodpeckers can be humorous as well.
    I agree, for some reason watching these mini jewels battle at crazy speeds for free sugar water is relaxing! And watching brown pelicans dive into the ocean is pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    LOL... missed you, where have you been with your humor?
    Mostly, just trying to stay out of trouble. You'd think it was the alcohol, but it's not. It's the sense of humor.
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Quote Originally Posted by ledbetter View Post
    I agree, for some reason watching these mini jewels battle at crazy speeds for free sugar water is relaxing! And watching brown pelicans dive into the ocean is pretty cool too.
    I recently commented to The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner, while we were enjoying our morning coffee and observing the hummingbirds dashing in and out of the lawn sprinkler - "Hummingbirds don't fly, they dance in the air."

If you have a cat you'll probably get this.

Even if you don't you still might.

Ha! I used to have cats. Can confirm.

The cabin fever is becoming a real thing after 5 months of WFH, which I expect to endure for at least the rest of the year. I suspect that I'll head into the office ~next week just to remember what it's like to have neat bookends to the workday.

The SO is a school teacher and after the insanity of last year's hasty remote instruction they seem to have an actual plan for remote instruction this year and a hopes and prayers roadmap for returning some of the student body to on-site instruction in September. Working assumption among the employees at the district is that they'll yo-yo back to remote instruction as soon as positive COVID-19 tests invariably spike at the schools. On the upside, the district seems to have a tolerable student portal in place this year for a more coherent remote instruction experience all around.

Decided that I need to kick off small home improvement projects. Just finished insulating the garage door, which seems to help reject heat loading from the morning sun (and its subsequent transfer to my office directly above). Variously on the agenda are:
    • Installing a PIR sensor to make the secondary garage LED lighting system useful again since it was orphaned by the replacement of the previous garage door opener; hopefully this will trigger for both the door opening and people entering from the house
    • Re-running the ethernet wire from the ONT to facilitate the next two projects
    • Replacing/upgrading the homebrew outdoor LED lighting system for all-around coverage
    • Installing outdoor security cameras

The generator project I've discussed elsewhere is presently backburner'ed - after designing and building a shed during the unusually hot summer of 2018 my appetite for construction projects during the summer is considerably reduced; heat indices are routinely exceeding 110F this year.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Has anyone else been having oddly specific dreams since the pandemic started? I'm experiencing this almost nightly and I've read from at least two different sources that this has been happening to many people since Covid-19 broke loose. I don't attach any particular significance to dreams - it's just that I've noticed this change in pattern.

Could you be more specific?

No changes here. But I live in a rural town where there is no real impact and no one takes any of this seriously. I fell bad for those living in fear in big cities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Could you be more specific?

Experiencing and then remembering an unusual amount of detail in a dream - the labels on elevator buttons, the details in a piece of clothing, the specifics of how a grocery store is laid out, specific conversation details. Stuff I usually dream about as soft blurry images. It's almost like watching a movie in high definition as opposed to standard definition with poor sound.

Would you say your dreams could just as well be in reality; that they are so detailed and follow the conventions of a life lived with eyes open; that it seems impossible a dream could be so detailed? Perhaps you can go the next step and know that you are dreaming while moving about in your dream? That sounds very interesting. Are you suggesting that this lockdown is causing certain senses to be deprived, therefore it is a kind of hallucination while dreaming?

You're having high CRI dreams……
    Cool.
    Perhaps it is a minor anxiety keeping the volume of your fight or flight spidee senses turned up more than usual?

Someone asked if I dream in color or black and white. I do not know. I just know there's a movie playing in my head while sleeping, and some days I remember parts of it. Usually when it involved people from my past. I wake up thinking "whatever happened to so n so?"

I don't think that has changed since the pandemic began though.

Lately, the daily threat of rolling blackouts (caused by the incompetently managed renewable energy implementation) has taken my mind off the pandemic. That and the statewide wildfires. Golden State indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by KITROBASKIN View Post
    Would you say your dreams could just as well be in reality; that they are so detailed and follow the conventions of a life lived with eyes open; that it seems impossible a dream could be so detailed? Perhaps you can go the next step and know that you are dreaming while moving about in your dream? That sounds very interesting. Are you suggesting that this lockdown is causing certain senses to be deprived, therefore it is a kind of hallucination while dreaming?
    It's only rarely that I become self-aware within a dream that I'm actually dreaming, and that usually preceeds waking up. From what I've been reading, the unusual dreams are caused by the generalized anxiety around Covid as well as the changes in daily routines. Here's one of the articles about Covid and intense dreams that sums it up for me. Apparently it's happening all over the world.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 08-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Flashaholic

Today not so bad. Yesterday I got to see a golden eagle in flight. Today I am overrun with hummingbirds. Biggest to smallest in 24 hours, not too bad. Nature has a way of lifting the spirits at times.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.

Anger that this lockdown has crushed our friend's business of 3+ years. They had a passion to open a (literally) mom-and-pop pet food store and now it's going under. Current hospitalizations for COVID in the state of New Mexico have been low for weeks now.

Lower left blue box 'historical data' shows graphs; wish more states would provide this metric:

https://cvprovider.nmhealth.org/public-dashboard.html

I know how you feel. In March, I was teaching voluntarily at a martial arts school. The owner had signed a two year lease on a new, much more affordable building, and we were planning on moving in April. He had promised me that he'd be able to start paying me as an employee when we moved to the new school. Then Covid happened and the money he was spending on two buildings for a few months made him broke and he had no choice but to shut down the school permanently. He offered to let me start a new school on my own with the school name, but being broke, with health issues, and no way to legally or logistically do that, I'm stuck unemployed and don't qualify for unemployment. I don't see how I can teach a contact sport in a world where all contact is banned. I turn on the news and see that teaching self defense and respect is needed more now than ever and it drives me nuts that my skill is considered nonessential.

Children are in desperate need of activities that get them out and exercising and building respect and confidence. Is there a way to mask and distance your art until the time when contact is allowed?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast