What is the flashlight with beam 1000m used for?

Tomaao

Newly Enlightened
Back to CPF!

I didn't focus on the new flashlights for a long time. Both olight and klarus released the flashlights with beam up to 1000 meters. But actually we can't see things at a distance of 1 km with the naked eye at night. What is this flashlight used for? Hunting?

ven

Flashaholic
1000m allows you to see stuff pretty well at 200-250m . Yes it may put a 1/4 candela 1000m away which to me is pretty useless, but closer up allows me to see much better.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least the larger flashlight companies are compediting what flashlight hast the longest ..... beam, and the highest Lumen output.

All this has no real practical use in 99.9%, since there is no real usage for a 100000 Lumens flashlight or an LEP flashlight with 2000-3000m beam range. The usage is the owners can state they have a 100000 Lumens flashlight or a flashlight with 2000-3000m beam range, but yeah ... maybe that is the usecase.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
One purpose of a power thrower that is rated for 1000 meters of throw is to have lots of light on a target at about 600 meters away. There are several other reasons to have a flashlight that is rated at 1000 meters of throw. Just one more reason: To add excitement and enjoyment to my life on the hostile surface of this planet. I have seven lights that range from 1,000 to 2500 meters throw: K75, TN42, R90TS, two X65, K70 and MS18. There is a 3,000 plus light available for pre-order, and two LEP lights with more throw that may be announced in the medium term future. There is also HID.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it's mainly for fun. But as others have said, 1000m throw really means a lot less. You get useful light out to about 200m, but just very dim illumination out far.

Also, the downside of extreme throwers is light scatter in humid conditions. It turns the beam into more of a light saber.

StagMoose

Enlightened
I like them for spotting animals across fields. About 2-300 yds is how far I can see well, but it gets more light on the target. Critter spotting!

I agree with the several posts above that 1000m gives you a great light for 200m spotting. I bought the GT90vn for night hog and predator hunting up to 400 yards. It's rated at 1.8Mcd, 2683m.

Beckler

Enlightened
The only use is to light up a distant tree or side of a building then post images of that for others to see in reviews, etc. The latest models aren't used at all so the package is just filled with a printout of links to images and videos of people "using" flashlights. Much more efficient.

Tusk

Newly Enlightened
"What is the flashlight with beam1000m used for?"

It's used to sell flashlights.

sidpost

Newly Enlightened
In a dark parking lot, you can dazzle someone to get away if you don't have a concealed carry firearm to protect yourself.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
The higher the candela just doesn't mean you can see further, it also means the hotspot will be that much more intense at closer range. You can reap the benefits of a 3000m light over a 2000m light and never shine it at long range.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My 'biggest' light (TN4A) has a range of 457m which is far enough for me to see anything with any degree of clarity. It does it with 1050L.

I also like that is also goes for 80 days in firefly mode.

herektir

Newly Enlightened
Light up the cattle guard/ gate about 300 yards away and throw enough light there to see people/vehicle/animals that might be there.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised no one has mentioned SAR (Search And Rescue). Granted, most SAR work needs a more floody beam for near to middle distance work, but in some environments (desert, hills, etc) with a longer visual range need a narrower beam that puts the light in a smaller area, and thus puts a usable amount of on objects further away is useful. Granted, only larger objects like wreckage or smaller brightly colored would be easily visible, but the need is there.
And yes, most of it is just sales hype to pull in the unenlightened.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Mostly bragging rights, but I will say from personal experience that working with cattle is awesome. Not the cows, I hate them. But usefulness for working at night is a big deal. Got a heifer that's pregnant and having calving trouble? She will often go off alone to birth her calf. Good luck finding her with most lights on a few thousand acres of land.