Malkoff        

Thread: What is the flashlight with beam 1000m used for?

Default What is the flashlight with beam 1000m used for?

Back to CPF!

I didn't focus on the new flashlights for a long time. Both olight and klarus released the flashlights with beam up to 1000 meters. But actually we can't see things at a distance of 1 km with the naked eye at night. What is this flashlight used for? Hunting?

Default Re: What is the flashlight with beam 1000m used for?

1000m allows you to see stuff pretty well at 200-250m . Yes it may put a 1/4 candela 1000m away which to me is pretty useless, but closer up allows me to see much better.

To annoy my Neighbors !

_

Flashaholic*

At least the larger flashlight companies are compediting what flashlight hast the longest ..... beam, and the highest Lumen output.

All this has no real practical use in 99.9%, since there is no real usage for a 100000 Lumens flashlight or an LEP flashlight with 2000-3000m beam range. The usage is the owners can state they have a 100000 Lumens flashlight or a flashlight with 2000-3000m beam range, but yeah ... maybe that is the usecase.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

One purpose of a power thrower that is rated for 1000 meters of throw is to have lots of light on a target at about 600 meters away. There are several other reasons to have a flashlight that is rated at 1000 meters of throw. Just one more reason: To add excitement and enjoyment to my life on the hostile surface of this planet. I have seven lights that range from 1,000 to 2500 meters throw: K75, TN42, R90TS, two X65, K70 and MS18. There is a 3,000 plus light available for pre-order, and two LEP lights with more throw that may be announced in the medium term future. There is also HID.
    It has been one year since an Arlington police officer defended himself against a loose, charging dog. In this case, someone other than the dogs' owner did Not reap the initial tragic consequences. Usually it is an innocent victim that gets it.

Flashaholic*

Yeah, it's mainly for fun. But as others have said, 1000m throw really means a lot less. You get useful light out to about 200m, but just very dim illumination out far.

Also, the downside of extreme throwers is light scatter in humid conditions. It turns the beam into more of a light saber.

I like them for spotting animals across fields. About 2-300 yds is how far I can see well, but it gets more light on the target. Critter spotting!

I agree with the several posts above that 1000m gives you a great light for 200m spotting. I bought the GT90vn for night hog and predator hunting up to 400 yards. It's rated at 1.8Mcd, 2683m.

A 1000m+ thrower is a weak attempt at lighting up comet C/2020 F3 aka NEOWISE to make it more visible for peeps down here on Earth.

Lights up wild boar from a helicopter for wild boar hunting at night.
    John 3:16

Flashaholic

The only use is to light up a distant tree or side of a building then post images of that for others to see in reviews, etc. The latest models aren't used at all so the package is just filled with a printout of links to images and videos of people "using" flashlights. Much more efficient.

"What is the flashlight with beam1000m used for?"

It's used to sell flashlights.

^^ True that……lol
    John 3:16

In a dark parking lot, you can dazzle someone to get away if you don't have a concealed carry firearm to protect yourself.

Flashaholic*

The higher the candela just doesn't mean you can see further, it also means the hotspot will be that much more intense at closer range. You can reap the benefits of a 3000m light over a 2000m light and never shine it at long range.

My 'biggest' light (TN4A) has a range of 457m which is far enough for me to see anything with any degree of clarity. It does it with 1050L.

I also like that is also goes for 80 days in firefly mode.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... E01

Light up the cattle guard/ gate about 300 yards away and throw enough light there to see people/vehicle/animals that might be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomaao View Post
    What is this flashlight used for?
    Yes.
    GOOD TINT!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned SAR (Search And Rescue). Granted, most SAR work needs a more floody beam for near to middle distance work, but in some environments (desert, hills, etc) with a longer visual range need a narrower beam that puts the light in a smaller area, and thus puts a usable amount of on objects further away is useful. Granted, only larger objects like wreckage or smaller brightly colored would be easily visible, but the need is there.
    And yes, most of it is just sales hype to pull in the unenlightened.
    Remember, Two is One, and One is None!.

Mostly bragging rights, but I will say from personal experience that working with cattle is awesome. Not the cows, I hate them. But usefulness for working at night is a big deal. Got a heifer that's pregnant and having calving trouble? She will often go off alone to birth her calf. Good luck finding her with most lights on a few thousand acres of land.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by sidpost View Post
    In a dark parking lot, you can dazzle someone to get away if you don't have a concealed carry firearm to protect yourself.
    Always good to walk away from an encounter without having drawn your weapon. I consider my Sig to be my final line of defense and hope I never need to draw it from its holster. 1600 lumens strobe seems to be a reasonable first line of defense.

Quote Originally Posted by manticore View Post
    Always good to walk away from an encounter without having drawn your weapon. I consider my Sig to be my final line of defense and hope I never need to draw it from its holster. 1600 lumens strobe seems to be a reasonable first line of defense.
    Great advice, and we all hope the same. Ten thousand pedestrian miles in four years in nice, single family residential neighborhoods, has for me, yielded three defensive displays, one pepper spray self defense, and two discharges, both of the two within one tenth of a second to spare, to successfully defend against 30 feet per second ambush charge attackers. Within the less than two seconds that these ultra-ambush attacks occurred in, the thought of reaching for my MMU-X3 never occurred. If you do not have the best tool to defend against ambush charge attack, then have the second best thing, and/or the third best, and/or fourth best thing. I consider any size flashlight that I always carry to be so completely useless for self defense, because they actually are not useful for self defense, and also, because I carry three things that actually are. In my nice town, such things are required to step outside the door not as a piece of free meat. And are required to take a few steps to check the mail and not be a piece of free meat. And are required to take out the trash. And to walk seven miles per day. And to survive, more than once, with all of your soft tissue uneviscerated on the nice, residential street.

Flashlights are not designed to be, and are not useful as a primary, secondary, tertiary or quaternary self-defense tool. If you can not carry something that is primarily designed for self defense, then carry something that is second-best. If you can not carry something that is second-best for self defense, than carry something that is third-best for self defense. None of these three things are a flashlight!
    Last edited by richbuff; 08-06-2020 at 06:18 PM.
    It has been one year since an Arlington police officer defended himself against a loose, charging dog. In this case, someone other than the dogs' owner did Not reap the initial tragic consequences. Usually it is an innocent victim that gets it.

I use mine to locate leaks in high ceilings like fitness centres and warehouses. On the lower modes I can signal the LRT to slow down when under ground (Part of my job)

I don’t need the range but I love having a few throwers in the collection
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

Flashaholic

My favorite use of such lights is to put the spot on the clouds. My acebeam W30 is my new favorite for that purpose. I have at least 10 lights that can pull off that feat with ease. They also work quite well up to a half mile viewing, anything much past that is difficult with just the eyes.
    Life is all about having the very best lights.