FourSevens        

Thread: Computer Help Needed - Wake on Lan

Default Computer Help Needed - Wake on Lan

I have a neighbor that needs to utilize the Wake On Lan feature for a couple of machines he is sending out of county/state. I was wondering if someone could help me get this working. I've read a lot of how to's and I am still struggling. Will probably need spoon feeding about it..

Thanks in advance
    I DO NOT HAVE...
    AURORAPHOBIA, OR EOSOPHOBIA, OR EREUTHOBPHOBIA, OR ERYTHROPHOBIA, OR ERYTOPHOBIA, OR PHENGOPHOBIA, OR PHOTOAUGLIAPHOBIA, PHOTOPHOBIA, OR SELAPHOBIA..

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Computer Help Needed - Wake on Lan

At first, the questions
    This PCs are connected to the internet?
    This PCs can be reached from the internet - means the Router address is always known or a static IP
    The Router allows this direct access (no blocked TCP / UDP ports) WOL uses UDP 7 or 9?

This may help at least for Windows:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/192642/how...-the-internet/

Also some tools:
    https://www.pcwdld.com/free-wake-on-lan-tools

What you should take into account:
    A PC that is reachable over the internet is always a nice target for people who like hacking or distribute malware and crapware. At all this PCs should be checked by a professional if someone targeted this systems or tried to access this machines without permission.
    Normally WOL is not enough, also RDP is enable (makes a remote desktop connection possible). That can also be security risk. Such a system must be maintained and security fixes must be provided to this systems when available. That affects all operating systems, not only Windows. The problem is only the windows flaws will be communicated on tech websites mostly...
    Last edited by WarriorOfLight; 07-16-2020 at 06:36 AM.
    Still looking for Surefire G2 in Orange.
    If you have one you don't like please PM me.

If you can remote into OTHER computers on the network... then you can send the wake command without having to open ports on the router.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Sorry for my late response.. I haven’t had time to get this project to the the front burner. I think the link provided by WOL will help me realize this endeavor

And TorboDog, the computers will not be on the same network
    I DO NOT HAVE...
    AURORAPHOBIA, OR EOSOPHOBIA, OR EREUTHOBPHOBIA, OR ERYTHROPHOBIA, OR ERYTOPHOBIA, OR PHENGOPHOBIA, OR PHOTOAUGLIAPHOBIA, PHOTOPHOBIA, OR SELAPHOBIA..

No not same network. On a network OTHER computers that could be remote connected to (gotomypc/etc). Opening ports to the internet is risky. I would restrict access to your selected IP range if possible.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.