SL MacroStream USB First Impressions

County

Newly Enlightened
So far, I am initially impressed with the light.
Compared to my MicroStream, looks like 5-10 deg wider hotspot.
Obviously the doubled lumens (250 micro vs 500 macro) are very noticeable.
FL1 throw distance is 68m (micro) vs 90m (macro), also noticeable.
I'm not sure this will become my new EDC as the Micro is absolutely undetectable clipped to my pocket (clip outside, light inside) whereas the extra diameter on the Macro reminds me of its presence. YMMV of course.
I'm impressed by how featherweight the light is. Not sure yet my ideal use-case. . perhaps a backpack/travel light.

Last edited:

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
So far, I am initially impressed with the light.
Compared to my MicroStream, looks like 5-10 deg wider hotspot.
Obviously the doubled lumens (250 micro vs 500 macro) are very noticeable.
FL1 throw distance is 68m (micro) vs 90m (macro), also noticeable.
I'm not sure this will become my new EDC as the Micro is absolutely undetectable clipped to my pocket (clip outside, light inside) whereas the extra diameter on the Macro reminds me of its presence. YMMV of course.
I'm impressed by how featherweight the light is. Not sure yet my ideal use-case. . perhaps a backpack/travel light.

Do you happen to know if the tailswitch is electronic or mechanical?

I saw how the battery is proprietary. However, do you know if a protected 14500 would still power it? If so, I'm assuming it would just negate the charging feature?

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I ended up picking one up today anyway. Haven't had it long enough for impressions.

I did test it with an Eagletac 14500 (750mAh) battery and it seemed to work the same (except no charging, or at least I won't try to).

I'm pretty sure this uses an electronic switch. Also, the button is very light compared to the Stylus if anyone cares.