keychain flashlight

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
I currently have an olight i1r on my keychain that's on it's last leg. Size and power of light are great. I wish it was OFF when fully tightened so it didnt easily twist on and wear out battery. I also wish it went to HI first, as thats what I usually need when using the light.

I'm open to other types of lights/switches. Any thoughts on a new keychain light?

Thanks!

boo5ted

Enlightened
I have both the RovyVon A4 and A24, both in titanium. The A4 has the XP-G3 and is rated for 650LM, the A24 has the XP-L and is rated at 1000LM. I originally bought the A24 but it a little too big in diameter for keychain carry in my opinion. The A4 is available in nichia if you prefer NW and both are usb rechargeable. Both are available in other body materials(plastic, aluminum, stainless) if you don't want a premium metal and want to save a little money.

50126737608_8e6e02c00b_c.jpg

50127308321_22055ab1e0_c.jpg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore TIP 2. Rechargeable, up to 720 lumens, has a hat clip and magnets for hands free options, turbo setting directly accessible.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite Solitaire ?

Decent track record for longevity and reliability
Decent usable output
tightens off, loosens to turn on
very easily found
very inexpensive
made in USA

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checkout the maglite spectrum series, too. Solitaire with better tint than regular off the shelf. Not sure which led they are using, though. Maybe XPE?

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all replies. I've actually tried the A4. I think it's a very nice light, but not intuitive to use. The double-clicking to low,med,high or long clicking always has me fumbling with the light when I need it. The Peak looks awesome, am considering. I also really like desig of the mcgizmo sapphire. But it says 5 lumens? That seems like an oddly dim light no?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Depends on the situation ... five lumens is a lot of light, in the dark.

The Sapphire is a fine keyring torch, and I'd also carried a Peak Eiger for years.

The latter may be preferred if you want higher outputs and multi-chemistry convenience.

Light Junkie

Newly Enlightened
Checkout the maglite spectrum series, too. Solitaire with better tint than regular off the shelf. Not sure which led they are using, though. Maybe XPE?
Do you have any experience with the spectrum series? Are they in stores are online only? I'm interested in the warm white series, but I have not seen any on the shelf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Candlepowerforums mobile app

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
I haven't used the maglight. After all this, I think I'm going back to RovyVon. I dont love the double-click, but I think the biggest issue with mine is the stainless steel. It's a great light, but better on a clip than a keychain. I miss the way the olight was invisible in my pocket. I mostly use the light to find my car at night and sometimes to take the dogs on an evening walk when I'm somewhere without another light. I'm looking at the much lighter version RovyVon 5 or 7. So far they look the same. Bith about $25, same lumens, same size I think, and same extras. Anyone used these and know the difference?

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
I went with the A5x. I thought the weight and memory mode were promising. almost as light as the olight and I can turn it on directly to hi when looking for car at night. I also like the side reading light and the beacon function actually seems practical.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went with the A5x. I thought the weight and memory mode were promising. almost as light as the olight and I can turn it on directly to hi when looking for car at night. I also like the side reading light and the beacon function actually seems practical.

Very cool little light. How is the UI? Is the red light useful or is it really just a beacon? I know a lot of people like the usb rechargeable but, especially on small lights, I like to be able to replace the battery if needed.

richardparker

Newly Enlightened
Very cool little light. How is the UI? Is the red light useful or is it really just a beacon? I know a lot of people like the usb rechargeable but, especially on small lights, I like to be able to replace the battery if needed.

Yeah, fair enough with the battery. I have been using rechargeable on my keychain for years now and find I don't have a problem keeping it charged and finding a usb chrarging cable and plug is actually easier than finding a battery (for me).

My first impressions very positive. It is longer than I was thinking, but still shorter than my car key and small diameter. It is lightweight - not as light as the littlest keychain lights, but at around 15g it's not much heavier.

I prefer the aesthetic of a metal light, but this is very practical and more subdued looking than I was expecting, with the diffused thick plastic.

Mostly, I find it a very good tool to have, with all the features being worthwhile. I like that it can go very bright for a short time if needed, or a reasonable 100 or so lumens for longer time for walks. The reading light built in to the body is awesome. PLenty bright at lower level, though nice it also offers brighter reading light. Very clear, diffused easy on the eye light for dim restaurant menus, reading a program in a theater or any up close lighting. And the beacon light is a very bright flciker that would be great to have if there's a flat tire at night or emergency. I have the UV, not the red light. I'm not sure when I'd use the UV, but it looks cool and makes the flashlight GITD a nice green for a bit.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I have used the Nitecore Tube for a few years and it's been great. I've ordered a couple more of the new version as well as the Nitecore Tiki (UV version). Curious to see the Tiki in the flesh. I've looked at the RovYvon A5 but their UV light seems useless. There are so many of these tiny lights, it's hard to make a choice. Everyone has their favorites and even the most popular, highest rated lights have their share of detractors.