XPL HI 6000K VS 219C?, Concern of low CRI

nitebrite

Enlightened
After all this time I just found out that one of my expensive custom lights is only 65 CRI. It has a very good beam and tint however. It also gets too hot to be usable in the last two modes. At least for more than a minute with a bare hand. However I do not require that much output. I was just wondering if a 219C is generally preferable to an XPL HI 6000K? However with 3x XPL HI I have considerably more output than that many 219C. I gather that is the selling point? Thank you

Msf

Enlightened
I think it comes down to your words, "It has a very good beam and tint however." If you like it and it works for you, don't worry about the CRI rating.
I used to obsess over that and made many purchases base on CRI rating. However, unless I am trying to differentiate between multiple and extremely close colored wires (do some electrical work), I find that I base my carry on the tint and beam profile far mar often than CRI.
Others will have different opinions and far more experience, but that's the wonderful thing about the forum.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XPL HI does indeed have a very pleasant beam, compared to the domed Cree emitters. However, IMO I'd go with a warmer tint option, such as 4000K or 4500K. You'll get a nice warmish beam, and a decent 80+ CRI. 6000K is a pretty ugly tint (too cool and blue), and often has lower CRI too.

But overall, I agree not to worry about the CRI too much. It's great for reproducing a more natural light, but most of the time that's not too important.

nitebrite

Enlightened
Plus I honestly enjoy twice the lumens in such a small light. That is why it gets hot though. There is not enough heat sink. However with a glove i have ran it 20 minutes without it shutting down. The battery was exhausted. I am glad that you confirmed my feelings though. Anyways my eye sight is so poor that it may make no difference whatsoever. I have a expensive German high CRI desk lamp and I can't tell any difference. I do like the 6000K. High CRI would be warmer too. I just figured the Nichia was a better led but the Cree obviously has a market as well. Honestly I think I might be less happy with half the lumens. I was just under the impression that the 219C was the more sought after emitter. Ill see if more people chime in.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
0kaKs49l.jpg

Low CRI is 50% brighter, but that is not a large visual change.
High CRI shows more vibrant colors. Especially reds.
You can see the difference in CRI when looking at wood, or the palm of your hand.

"Remember, your eyes have a logarithmic response to light, requiring a roughly [50% increase] in order to register a small but visible change in brightness."

Of course the solution is to buy both and use whichever one you like at the time.

LedTed

Enlightened
Us humans seem to chase the next thing rather than appreciating what we have. You may find the grass is not always greener. If it's been, "After all this time ... ", and "It has a very good beam and tint however". A change now may not be what you imagine

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tint Snob perspective:

imagine you have a light that can make 600 lumens of Low CRI
and another just like it, that makes 400 lumens of High CRI

for me, 50% more max Lumens, does not beat the extra Quality of High CRI Light Spectrum.

and now imagine that you only need 200 lumens, or less, and you have a choice of Low CRI or High CRI.. me personally, I would always prefer the higher Quality Light Spectrum of High CRI, over a slightly brighter maximum (50% is only perceived as slightly brighter) Quantity of Low CRI light.

I seldom use maximum on my lights. So I have no reason to compromise on Spectrum, to gain Output.

> Plus I honestly enjoy twice the lumens in such a small light.

I did not know it was twice the lumens.. thought it was just 50% more lumens for Low CRI..

3x XPL HI I have considerably more output than that many 219C.

it is a tradeoff.. but the difference in lumens is actually not that big

the only way to really know if you will Enjoy High CRI, is to try the High CRI LEDs yourself

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Plus I honestly enjoy twice the lumens in such a small light. That is why it gets hot though. There is not enough heat sink. However with a glove i have ran it 20 minutes without it shutting down. The battery was exhausted. I am glad that you confirmed my feelings though. Anyways my eye sight is so poor that it may make no difference whatsoever. I have a expensive German high CRI desk lamp and I can't tell any difference. I do like the 6000K. High CRI would be warmer too. I just figured the Nichia was a better led but the Cree obviously has a market as well. Honestly I think I might be less happy with half the lumens. I was just under the impression that the 219C was the more sought after emitter. Ill see if more people chime in.

I'm not a big fan of the Nichia 219C. I much prefer the Nichia 219B and even the 219A. I don't think they make them anymore, though. Also, they had a much lower maximum brightness.

There's nothing wrong with the 219C, but it seems to lack the red colors of the 219B.

nitebrite

Enlightened
I too much preferred the 219B. Indeed, they no longer make it. It is not 5-% more lumens. For this light it is about 1600 lumens VS 2200 lumens. I have plenty of both. I would take the higher lumens in the pocket light. In a different light I would take the high CRI. I have plenty of 219B lights on hand. With good output as they are multi cell Primary, Plus There is no way I could replace this light anyways. It is a one off. I think I just answered my own question :) Honestly, if I did it over again I probably would have picked the 219C but it is way too late now.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im sure you made the right choice at the time.

1600 is only 27% less than 2200. not a visually significant difference.

since I can still get 219b..
I would have the LEDs upgraded

I do have Concern of low CRI
but many people dont care as much about CRI as I do

enjoy your lights :)

Last edited:

nitebrite

Enlightened
I do value your opinion jon. I am going to leave this light be. I will enjoy this light :)

nitebrite

Enlightened
I had made this post because I had wished to EDC this particular light. After all, These size lights I feel are not pocketable. The ironic thing is I decided to carry a 1xaaa219B as of today! I am not running a 10440. Just a regular lithium primary. It outputs less than 200 lumens. Which is honestly okay. I do not feel that I wasted everyone's time. I still found out which led you folks prefer. Myself, I prefer a 219B. I guess I have a light that is one of a kind and very bright for it's size. At the time I picked the led's I had no clue the CRI was so low. I have many lights that cannot fit in my pocket. Certainly not the Dominator lol. That does not mean to me that they are no good. I guess a Hanko, Deadwood etc. is supposed to fit in your pocket, but not mine. At least my 1xaaa is made by a local machinist.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've had some really really bad color producing LED's before. One was so bad my red truck looked gray. Everything was gray. Trees, bricks, dirt. It was pretty bad. Way too much blue.
Anything made by CREE since they introduced XPG is awesome to my eyes.
If my red truck looks red, or a leaf on a tree looks green, good enough.

I've no idea what what CRI PK Design Lab lights are but those 6200 beams give my eyes a true sense of color correctness. No hint of colors like blue or green. I use them for photography and my camera sensors play nice with them so white balance is typically spot on.

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love high CRI but in actual use it doesn't make a ton of difference so long as your tint is good and cri is adequate. To me, the coldest I've been happy with is my 5000k 80cri 319A. I have some xhp50.2 85cri lights that I really like and use al lot as well as a sc63w with the xhp35 which is 85cri that is one of my go-to lights.

All things equal I'd take a 4000k 95cri but all things are never equal. Tint is more important, generally. Heck even my CW M91b is very, very pleasant even though it's definitely not good cri.

Enlightened
After all this time I just found out that one of my expensive custom lights is only 65 CRI. It has a very good beam and tint however. It also gets too hot to be usable in the last two modes. At least for more than a minute with a bare hand. However I do not require that much output. I was just wondering if a 219C is generally preferable to an XPL HI 6000K? However with 3x XPL HI I have considerably more output than that many 219C. I gather that is the selling point? Thank you
If you're happy with the beam and tint then leave it alone unless you want something new. Don't get caught up in all of the audiophile CRI nonsense. The 219C isn't even guaranteed to run any cooler depending on the light if it's driven at the same power levels.

nitebrite

Enlightened
jon, that is a tough call to me. Honestly I am a Senior and my eyesight is failing. I think The XPL HI looks just fine. I have a bigger issue. All my high end lights that run on a 18350 are too heavy anymore at my age. To put in my pocket. Perhaps put the clips back on will make it better? The reason I had carried in my pocket, this is Chicago. Someone will not hesitate to snatch a 4+ grand flashlight off me! I would also love to carry one of my Marfione's Again they will rob that right off a clip. So I carry a tiny William Henry. That With a AAA Flashlight does not make me very happy. To change the subject for a moment. How likely are they to snatch those off me on a clip? I mean is it easy to pull off you?

18650, Do you know me from somewhere else? I am indeed a crazy Audiophile.

I really appreciate that you guy's did not abandon this thread yet. Thank you

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
jon, that is a tough call to me. Honestly I am a Senior and my eyesight is failing. I think The XPL HI looks just fine. I have a bigger issue. All my high end lights that run on a 18350 are too heavy anymore at my age. To put in my pocket. Perhaps put the clips back on will make it better? The reason I had carried in my pocket, this is Chicago. Someone will not hesitate to snatch a 4+ grand flashlight off me! I would also love to carry one of my Marfione's Again they will rob that right off a clip. So I carry a tiny William Henry. That With a AAA Flashlight does not make me very happy. To change the subject for a moment. How likely are they to snatch those off me on a clip? I mean is it easy to pull off you?

18650, Do you know me from somewhere else? I am indeed a crazy Audiophile.

I really appreciate that you guy's did not abandon this thread yet. Thank you

Perhaps a WML is needed in your neck of the woods...