Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

swat20271

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm currently not in US

My friend found some surefire classic series weapon light (for pistol) that I've been looking for in US,

was wondering are the Old classic series controlled by ITAR? ( not laser or IR, just normal weapon lights 310r,333r,644r..etc.)

will my friend be in trouble to export these out of US?
Don't want to invade US law by accident,if its controlled I wont ship it for good.:sigh:

I'd contact our local surefire dealer, and they told me its not controlled and not to worry,but I'm still concerned.

Surefire ended their email service so I can't write email to them.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

swat20271

Newly Enlightened
Flashlights are not named on the US Munitions List (USML).

What is your friend's citizenship and location? ITAR is domestic US law and doesn't apply to foreign nationals outside the US.

My friend is in USA.

I'd looked up and seems like ITAR effects people who
receives it overseas too,don't want to be banned from US or get fined for buying lights...

and I don't want my friend to have problems.

I'll have my friend to call Surefire today,and I'll update what they said if others had similar problems.

Don't really know why surefire closed their E-mail customer servies...

Thanks for your reply though!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Just don't include lithium batteries without noting it on the package.
No air mailed lithium batteries. They can be mailed with batteries noted on the package but those would travel by boat, which is a much slower way to mail things.

I had a package with weapon lights get snagged at the border. I had to fill out a form and email it declaring they were non hazardous. In other words they themselves do not go "pow" "bang" or "boom" and if it was found out later I was untruthful the penalty was potentially severe.

Last edited:

swat20271

Newly Enlightened
Just don't include lithium batteries without noting it on the package.
No air mailed lithium batteries. They can be mailed with batteries noted on the package but those would travel by boat, which is a much slower way to mail things.

I had a package with weapon lights get snagged at the border. I had to fill out a form and email it declaring they were non hazardous. In other words they themselves do not go "pow" "bang" or "boom" and if it was found out later I was untruthful the penalty was potentially severe.

Thanks!

Yeah,sure thing. The first thing I did is to make sure he didn't include the batteries.

My friend called surefire half an hour ago, and they said that expect for IR and Lazery lights, others lights won't need to be sweated.

and holster is not a problem too,at least its what they said.

What a relief !

ghostguy6

Enlightened
Privately you can ship them, but a dealer can not. Apparently the dealers enter into some agreement with Surefire preventing it. It sucks because I can buy the light for half the price across the boarder as compared to the local shops.

michaex

Enlightened
ITAR applies to everybody, regardless if it's a private person or a dealer. Some items can't leave US without proper documentation.

Regards from the other side of the border ;)

swat20271

Newly Enlightened
ITAR applies to everybody, regardless if it's a private person or a dealer. Some items can't leave US without proper documentation.

Regards from the other side of the border ;)

Thats what others told me, so I checked with Surefire,and thanks god these beautiful lights aren't regulated. :)

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened

My friend found some surefire classic series weapon light (for pistol) that I've been looking for in US,

was wondering are the Old classic series controlled by ITAR? ( not laser or IR, just normal weapon lights 310r,333r,644r..etc.)

Don't want to invade US law by accident,if its controlled I wont ship it for good.:sigh:

I'd contact our local surefire dealer, and they told me its not controlled and not to worry,but I'm still concerned.

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

Heaven forfend that the enemies of democracy should ever get hold of the technology of a tube with batteries in one end and a bulb on the other!

gimmethatthinkpad

Newly Enlightened

Anyone has any idea?

Thanks.

Did you manage to ship the light? I am in a similar situation but with a surefire 628 and would like to know if I can proceed without worrying.
Thanks!

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.

I don't check out the Surefire website on a regular basis, but apparently you have to create an account on their site, and log in, before their e-mail form appears under: Contact Us

"This contact form is available only for logged in users."

Hope this helps!

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call Surefire they will give you an RMA you can FEDEX the light to them and they will repair it and send it back to you. Not sure if this helps. Surefire HAS excellent customer service. Always has just had a recent experience with them. A+++++. Oh, and they do answer email.