ArmyTek        
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

  1. #1

    Default Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Hi, I'm currently not in US

    My friend found some surefire classic series weapon light (for pistol) that I've been looking for in US,

    was wondering are the Old classic series controlled by ITAR? ( not laser or IR, just normal weapon lights 310r,333r,644r..etc.)

    will my friend be in trouble to export these out of US?
    Don't want to invade US law by accident,if its controlled I wont ship it for good.

    I'd contact our local surefire dealer, and they told me its not controlled and not to worry,but I'm still concerned.

    Surefire ended their email service so I can't write email to them.

    Anyone has any idea?

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Flashlights are not named on the US Munitions List (USML).

    What is your friend's citizenship and location? ITAR is domestic US law and doesn't apply to foreign nationals outside the US.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]


  3. #3

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    Flashlights are not named on the US Munitions List (USML).

    What is your friend's citizenship and location? ITAR is domestic US law and doesn't apply to foreign nationals outside the US.
    My friend is in USA.

    I'd looked up and seems like ITAR effects people who
    receives it overseas too,don't want to be banned from US or get fined for buying lights...

    and I don't want my friend to have problems.

    I'll have my friend to call Surefire today,and I'll update what they said if others had similar problems.

    Don't really know why surefire closed their E-mail customer servies...

    Thanks for your reply though!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Just don't include lithium batteries without noting it on the package.
    No air mailed lithium batteries. They can be mailed with batteries noted on the package but those would travel by boat, which is a much slower way to mail things.

    I had a package with weapon lights get snagged at the border. I had to fill out a form and email it declaring they were non hazardous. In other words they themselves do not go "pow" "bang" or "boom" and if it was found out later I was untruthful the penalty was potentially severe.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-20-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    John 3:16

  5. #5

    Party Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Just don't include lithium batteries without noting it on the package.
    No air mailed lithium batteries. They can be mailed with batteries noted on the package but those would travel by boat, which is a much slower way to mail things.

    I had a package with weapon lights get snagged at the border. I had to fill out a form and email it declaring they were non hazardous. In other words they themselves do not go "pow" "bang" or "boom" and if it was found out later I was untruthful the penalty was potentially severe.
    Thanks!

    Yeah,sure thing. The first thing I did is to make sure he didn't include the batteries.

    My friend called surefire half an hour ago, and they said that expect for IR and Lazery lights, others lights won't need to be sweated.

    and holster is not a problem too,at least its what they said.

    What a relief !

  6. #6
    Flashaholic ghostguy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Ed, Ab
    Posts
    157

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Privately you can ship them, but a dealer can not. Apparently the dealers enter into some agreement with Surefire preventing it. It sucks because I can buy the light for half the price across the boarder as compared to the local shops.

  7. #7
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    ITAR applies to everybody, regardless if it's a private person or a dealer. Some items can't leave US without proper documentation.

    Regards from the other side of the border

  8. #8

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by michaex View Post
    ITAR applies to everybody, regardless if it's a private person or a dealer. Some items can't leave US without proper documentation.

    Regards from the other side of the border
    Thats what others told me, so I checked with Surefire,and thanks god these beautiful lights aren't regulated.

  9. #9
    Flashaholic
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by swat20271 View Post
    Hi, I'm currently not in US

    My friend found some surefire classic series weapon light (for pistol) that I've been looking for in US,

    was wondering are the Old classic series controlled by ITAR? ( not laser or IR, just normal weapon lights 310r,333r,644r..etc.)

    will my friend be in trouble to export these out of US?
    Don't want to invade US law by accident,if its controlled I wont ship it for good.

    I'd contact our local surefire dealer, and they told me its not controlled and not to worry,but I'm still concerned.

    Surefire ended their email service so I can't write email to them.

    Anyone has any idea?

    Thanks.
    Heaven forfend that the enemies of democracy should ever get hold of the technology of a tube with batteries in one end and a bulb on the other!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by swat20271 View Post
    Hi, I'm currently not in US

    My friend found some surefire classic series weapon light (for pistol) that I've been looking for in US,

    was wondering are the Old classic series controlled by ITAR? ( not laser or IR, just normal weapon lights 310r,333r,644r..etc.)

    will my friend be in trouble to export these out of US?
    Don't want to invade US law by accident,if its controlled I wont ship it for good.

    I'd contact our local surefire dealer, and they told me its not controlled and not to worry,but I'm still concerned.

    Surefire ended their email service so I can't write email to them.

    Anyone has any idea?

    Thanks.
    Did you manage to ship the light? I am in a similar situation but with a surefire 628 and would like to know if I can proceed without worrying.
    Thanks!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Quote Originally Posted by swat20271 View Post
    Surefire ended their email service so I can't write email to them.
    Thanks.
    I don't check out the Surefire website on a regular basis, but apparently you have to create an account on their site, and log in, before their e-mail form appears under: Contact Us

    "This contact form is available only for logged in users."

    Hope this helps!

  12. #12
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central America
    Posts
    1,085

    Default Re: Is Surefire Classic Series ITAR controlled?

    Call Surefire they will give you an RMA you can FEDEX the light to them and they will repair it and send it back to you. Not sure if this helps. Surefire HAS excellent customer service. Always has just had a recent experience with them. A+++++. Oh, and they do answer email.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •