The Fenix-Store        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

Default Re: Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Finding myself guilty as well, let's get back on topic, gents.
    Wilco.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

How about any alternatives to the Executive? The more I research the more I realise that I think that is more suitable for me. The pocket clip setup seems more usable less cumbersome.

Depends on your definition of "alternatives." If you want a 1" diameter, rugged, multi-mode, made-in-USA, rear clicky with multiple emitter choices, look close at Malkoff as TG recommended. But if you value the UI/firmware and configurability of HDS (ie the electronics), you are out of luck. No other vendor really comes close, although I agree with DoR that ZL is one of the few (only other?) vendors to offer direct access to multiple brightness settings via a clicky interface. I detest cycling through modes I don't want to find the one I do.

EDIT: by Malkoff, I mean a VME head mated to an e-series body (or an MD2 with hi/lo ring) with multiple M61 variants

EDIT: @jon_slider speaks well of the RRT-01 and Eye10...
    Last edited by lion504; 07-23-2020 at 04:45 PM.
    “Experts” are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Quote Originally Posted by alexinc View Post
    How about any alternatives to the Executive? The more I research the more I realise that I think that is more suitable for me. The pocket clip setup seems more usable less cumbersome.
    Lumintop FW1A is very similar in size and shape, but the UI is different. Still good, just different.

E: Quality/reliability is reportedly lower, but my (similar) FW3A hasn't seen issues.
    Last edited by carrot; 07-23-2020 at 04:57 PM.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

+ 1, good recommendation! Forgot about that one. Anduril's ramping is a solid alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Fairly different aesthetics ... but Peak QTC Logan ? ... SureFire T1A ?
    Quote Originally Posted by DayofReckoning View Post
    I also missed Archimedes post, the Surefire and Peak are very good, low cost suggestions for the OP that are very well made and reliable.
    Thank you. How about some comparison photos ?

Most of the above have been mentioned somewhere in this thread. Glad to answer any specific questions, too ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Quote Originally Posted by lion504 View Post
    If you choose "Custom-built" under HDS Products, you can pick a specific battery compartment. If you want only an 18650 configuration, no problem, just order it. Want only 2xAA, no problem, just order it.
    Great news; was hoping that option was available now. HDS is absolutely worthy of respect.
    But when walking the dogs late evening with 10 year old son and wife, being able to juice the goose with full blast whatever lumens ZL 64 LE puts out, is nice.

20 seconds, recorded last night, neighbor's house <15 minute brisk walk away:

https://youtu.be/JFizjhytuaQ

A little over a month ago:
    https://youtu.be/Vsarpd2ZEck
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 07-23-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Flashaholic*

God knows I never want to recommend the usage of disco mode, but just in case, it's 3 clicks on the Zebralight guys. Just make sure to preprogram the strobe mode of your choosing (can HDS do that ) or you'll get a beacon.

In a serious light, that really is a scary situation to look at there, and the utilitarian use of the massive burst mode of the Zebralight is a good point Kitrobaskin makes. It has it's place.

Just make sure to preprogram the strobe mode of your choosing (can HDS do that ) or you'll get a beacon.
    Yes. In addition to 24 brightness levels, each of the 4 HDS presets can be configured as FastStrobe, SlowStrobe, Pulsating Strobe, Beacon Strobe, or SOS (46CFR161.013-7 compliant).

Although more difficult to source, OP might consider a MD1 or MD1.5 battery tube made by CPF member Martin White mated to a MDX22.3 head with a Malkoff M361 (or, if you can find one, a P60 with Drjones Lucidrv2). Unlike the short-tube HDS, the MD1 will take an 18350 or 16340.
    Last edited by lion504; 07-23-2020 at 08:15 PM.

Flashaholic*

Yes. In addition to 24 brightness levels, each of the 4 HDS presets can be configured as FastStrobe, SlowStrobe, Pulsating Strobe, Beacon Strobe, or SOS (46CFR161.013-7 compliant).

Although more difficult to source, OP might consider a MD1 or MD1.5 battery tube made by CPF member Martin White mated to a MDX22.3 head with a Malkoff M361 (or, if you can find one, a P60 with Drjones Lucidrv2). Unlike the short-tube HDS, the MD1 will take an 18350 or 16340.
    EDIT: Zebralight has fast strobe, slow strobe, dim beacon, bright beacon. No SOS. Strange I guess the HDS is the better light for at sea

Not saying that setup isn't a good choice, and a good solid light, and OP has kind of hinted he's looking in another direction than Zebralight, and that's fine, but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?

Quote Originally Posted by alexinc View Post
    Of it is just the pocket clip that concerns you, I use a ProTac 1L-1AA pocket clip held on using paracord. It works really well for me. You could also use zip-tie(s) or I think another member has used o-rings.

but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?
    Assuming you mean the MD1, I agree that the specs probably favor the ZL. But OP seems to prefer American made, and Malkoff and Martin D White meet that requirement. I like to swap P60s, so I’m imagining the OP does too
    Last edited by lion504; 07-23-2020 at 09:16 PM.

EDIT: Zebralight has fast strobe, slow strobe, dim beacon, bright beacon. No SOS. Strange I guess the HDS is the better light for at sea

Not saying that setup isn't a good choice, and a good solid light, and OP has kind of hinted he's looking in another direction than Zebralight, and that's fine, but what advantages in regard to weight, battery capacity, output, etc, would that setup have over a Zebralight?
    You have made you’re point that you think Zebralight is far superior to the HDS, despite it having neither a rotary or a tail clickie.

Now could we get back to helping the OP by trying to answer the question asked.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Sos24 View Post
    You have made you’re point that you think Zebralight is far superior to the HDS, despite it having neither a rotary or a tail clickie.

Now could we get back to helping the OP by trying to answer the question asked.
    Absolutely. I just wish I had another suggestion for the OP that fits his criteria. That setup lion mentioned could fit the bill.

+ 1, good recommendation! Forgot about that one. Anduril's ramping is a solid alternative!
    I agree that Andruil’s ramping is a nice UI and good alternative to a rotary. The one thing I do not like about Andruil is that the ones I have only turn on at last mode, highest or lowest. One of the thinks I really appreciate with the HDS (and other rotary + tail clickies) is I have the option of adjusting brightness before turning on.

Also, considering the OP was asking about made in US, and I’m also curious, are there any flashlights made or produce in US with the Andruil UI?

Depends on your definition of "alternatives." If you want a 1" diameter, rugged, multi-mode, made-in-USA, rear clicky with multiple emitter choices, look close at Malkoff as TG recommended. But if you value the UI/firmware and configurability of HDS (ie the electronics), you are out of luck. No other vendor really comes close, although I agree with DoR that ZL is one of the few (only other?) vendors to offer direct access to multiple brightness settings via a clicky interface. I detest cycling through modes I don't want to find the one I do.

EDIT: by Malkoff, I mean a VME head mated to an e-series body (or an MD2 with hi/lo ring) with multiple M61 variants

EDIT: @jon_slider speaks well of the RRT-01 and Eye10...
    I agree with jon_slider that the RRT-01 is a nice light and from my experience the closest in quality to the HDS Rotary. Although, I would say if you want the Rotary + tail switch, make sure to find the RRT-01 Raptor and not the 2019 RRT-01 which is rotary only

Flashaholic*

I recommended the RRT01 in the first page here. It seems to be a pretty solid light from the review I saw. Only problem is the driver is setup for a CR123, meaning it's direct drive with a Li ion, meaning no regulation.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. That Lumintop had me curious. It is significantly cheaper. All the suggestions looked like great flashlights. Paralysed by choice!

Another question: anyone recommend a flashlight mount for their HDS for their shotgun? (mossberg 590) I'd like to keep that avenue open as well but wanted to see if anyone on here uses it for that application

Default Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

There are probably only two or three flashlight makers in CPF history that have been discussed more than HDS, and HDS is likely the smallest operation of them all. That doesn’t happen by accident. Can you get one with a problem? Sure. But it’s a tiny fraction of them. Look at all the manufacturers you don’t hear from anymore. People catch on quickly when you build crappy products. They don’t keep buying them for nearly 20 years like they have for Henry’s lights.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOfLight View Post
    I feel in the same way, a few HDS light are (pre-)ordered. At the End of 2020 I will post an update. It will looks tan quite a little bit better.
    They are nice lights indeed will be good to see more when you get them

Get the HDS. They are worth every cent.

Default Best Alternate to HDS Systems Rotary?

Quote Originally Posted by markdeerhunter View Post
    Get the HDS. They are worth every cent.
    Agreed. Just take a deep breath and do it...

Flashaholic*

While I like the zebra UI, their quality control is really inferior to that in HDS. Out of 4 zebras I have had two have failed.

Hoping the thread originator here will inform us of his decision when made. I'm rooting for HDS; cost and all.
    For the record; Going out in lion country at night should not be a solo affair. As it is said about bears, there has never been a report (I hope) of an attack against two or more people and in reality, HDS would likely be just as effective/ineffective shining light against a wild one as a light twice as bright. It is a false sense of confidence that a brighter light inspires.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12