UPDATE: Looking for a dummy 18650 cell

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am looking for one of these, any ideas where these are easily purchased.

Would love one that is a length of aluminium in a shrink wrap, flat on one end and nipple on the other.

But if these are not available, I would consider anything out there.

For a project to convert an incan light that has a 3x18650 magazine. Would love to have a choice of 2x cell or 3x cell option. (G4 bulbs to match)

So, I have now completed my experiment and made myself a dummy cell for the cost of a little fuel to get to the local sheet metal place to pick up a strip of copper which was from their bin.
Ended up using a strip of copper 0.6mm thick and 10mm wide, found a square dowel, cut it to the length of the 18650, bent the copper to cover both ends and one side of the dowel, wrapped it in electrical tape and that is it.
Now I can use 3x18650 with the WA1185 or 2x18650/1x dummy with the WA1111 in the same light.
Note that with the WA1111 you need a good quality high capacity cell (I still use protected cells) to get it to work on the first click. When I used older lower capacity cells, it took about two to three clicks to work.
When I use the WA1185 bulb it comes on first time even with my older cells.

Attachments

• P7270003.jpg
    P7270003.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a dummy 18650 cell

One thing that works is that you i.e. buy a thread rod (or something similar) and cut it down to the correct length. You wrap this with heat shrink tubing and everything is fine. That would be the cheap way on creating a dummy 18650.

Personally I never saw a dummy 18650, I only know CR123 and AA dummys.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Maybe 2xCR123 dummy cells work in place of an 18650?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lynx,
the battery magazine is open, so it will not support two cells on top of each other under spring load.

The rod in shrink wrap is the most likely way to go....

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Lynx,
the battery magazine is open, so it will not support two cells on top of each other under spring load.

The rod in shrink wrap is the most likely way to go....
If the length works you could tape the cells together in the middle or shrink wrap them together.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

get a wooden stick\dowel trim to correct dimension, wrap aluminum foil, i've done it several times with different cells, works fine if you are careful, i actually did not use wooden sticks, i used dead batteries, first i wrapped any exposed metal with electrical tape before wrapping in foil. but that may lead to sparks if you do not know what you doing.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened

I made one with two dummy 16340 cells wrapped in electrical tape to the same diameter as 18650. Little longer but springs will compensate in most lights.

jeff51

Newly Enlightened

I made one out of a dowel rod.
Cut a groove down one side. Put a round top wood screw in each end. Ran 14g copper wire down inside the groove. Shrink wrap over it.
It will stand up to any current current. And I don't have to worry about anything rubbing through to hit the jumper wire.
All the Best,
Jeff

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast

I made one out of a dowel rod.
Cut a groove down one side. Put a round top wood screw in each end. Ran 14g copper wire down inside the groove. Shrink wrap over it.
It will stand up to any current current. And I don't have to worry about anything rubbing through to hit the jumper wire.
All the Best,
Jeff

Cool idea. Can you share a pic of finished spacer?

jeff51

Newly Enlightened

Cool idea. Can you share a pic of finished spacer?

Sorry I took so long to respond. I've boxed a lot of stuff up preparing to move.
I can't find my battery spacer for the life of me.
Here is one I made so that I could use an external power source with a couple of old camera Flashes of mine.

It mimics a 4xAA holder that fits in my old Vivitar and Nikon flashes. It's sort of the same deal.

I figured out how long to make it and where the positive and negative should make contact.
Added some wood screws and a cord with a plug on the end.

Now I can power the flashes with an 18650 pack run through a buck power supply.
Recharges the flash from a full pop in less than 2 sec. or so. Instantly from ¼ power.
Darn near unlimited number of pops per charge.
All the Best,
Jeff