Best Flashlight for Me? (Guidance Needed)

imbuffnotreally

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm brand-new here and have done my best to post this in the right place. I apologize if I haven't.

I'm needing some guidance in what brands and models of flashlights would best suit me.

I work in the entertainment production industry - think concerts, festivals, theatre, etc. I've never had a "nice" flashlight before and have just used basic $5-$15 lights. Most of them wear out pretty quickly and I'd like to get something nicer that will last longer. Here are a list of features I would like to have. I understand I probably won't find them all in a single light, but I'm so unfamiliar with higher end lights that I'm just not sure where I should be looking.

Desired features:
* 2 - 3 brightness levels (highest level in 800-1000lm range)
* Hard edge (I need light where I'm pointing and as little as possible anywhere else)
* Soft Red or Blue light for reading schedules/scripts in the dark
* Hard toggle switch/wheel (I hate having to cycle through options every time I turn the light on)
* Built in laser pointer
* AA or larger rechargeable through common cables (e.g. usb-c)
* Pocket(ish) size - 6 inches or less. Should be comfortable in a holster or pocket.
* Doesn't break the bank. $50ish.

I know I'm probably asking a lot and probably won't get every feature that I want. But I'm just not sure where to start.

Based upon my desired features, are there any manufacturers and models that come to mind?

Thanks for your help!

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Felix TK25

Nitecore CR6

Pelican 2370

DISCLAIMER: no personal experience with these lights

Last edited:

325addict

Enlightened
I cannot advise the Nitecore SRT7 enough. Has nearly all the functions you would like to have, but a laser pointer isn't included and... it costs a fair bit more than $50,-.
It is powered by a single 18650 li-ion cell, these batteries are THE power source for a higher-end flashlight, together with the newer 21700.
The SRT7 has a VERY easy user interface with an on/off button at the back (and as it is a "forward clicky" you can just push it half, have your light and then leave the button - and the light is off immediately). With a reverse clicky, this is impossible, often found on cheaper lights. Here, you have to fully depress the button until a click is heard, then release it, and while releasing the button, the light comes on.
The selector ring on the SRT7 selects brightness in a smooth, stepless, continuously variable way from 0.2 to over 1000 Lumens. It also selects the green, red and blue modes! And the strobe etc etc.
I pulled the trigger on it years ago, and never, ever regretted that decision a single second. I would just try it in a shop, you will be familiar with it in 10 seconds and probably love it so much you will buy it right away.