What would be the perfect HDS?

wweiss

Enlightened
Imagining what would be the perfect HDS Rotary:

1. Retain all the present qualities.
2. Add a programmable option (and the LED Bins to match) for a momentary press to 700-900L.
3. Add a magnetic tailcap option.
4. Done.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
HDS can never output that kind of light due to a limitation in the design of the light. 1Amp max current draw, driver built around a CR123 cell, don't remember exactly why. It would require a complete overhaul of the entire light, and both things kind of go completely against the HDS philosophy IMO. It would mean that all the supposed "upgrades" over the years would probably have to be scrapped, and started from new.

Not sure about the magnetic tailcap, I think I recall a post somewhere about output being effected with magnets and manipulation. Maybe I"m mixing it up with something else. :EDIT How would you press the clicky switch? It would probably add additional length to an already very long light.

Maybe HDS has an all new model on the drawing boards.

Last edited:

Stoneking

Enlightened
The only change I really wanted was 18350, just for longer run time. I was able to make that happen and I couldn't be happier.

All the time I've used an HDS, I've never needed it to be brighter. Most the time I'm not even at full brightness.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
For my average day the RCR123 has never ran out of juice. 45 min on high with no step down is plenty and as you know runtime increases the lower you go on the dial.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only change I really wanted was 18350, just for longer run time. I was able to make that happen and I couldn't be happier.

All the time I've used an HDS, I've never needed it to be brighter. Most the time I'm not even at full brightness.

+1.

And a voltage check.

And ability to switch between clicky and rotary tails.

And ramping.

wweiss

Enlightened
I agree that most of the time 200l is too much. However there are those times (on the trail) when a bright burn momentary would be nice. A magnetic tail would very useful in the shop and meter pit...

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the same HDS for more than a decade. If I could change anything, I'd probably make it a bit narrower so that it would be more comfortable in the pocket. As is, I mostly holster carry it.

scout24

Flashaholic
Give me a deep carry bezel down clip that's anchored to the body. (I can live with the bezel up solution we have currently though.) One functional change I'd like to see is to be able to lock in one output level on the Rotary: When on, a series of presses-hold-release maybe that keeps the output on whatever level you did the command at until you un-do the command. (My Wife wants an on-off single level light, but commandeered one of my Rotaries.)

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. E1e type 2-way clip. This is a must.
2. Aspheric option to replace the matte "reflector"
3. The light should be MUCH lighter

wweiss

Enlightened
HDS can never output that kind of light due to a limitation in the design of the light. 1Amp max current draw, driver built around a CR123 cell, don't remember exactly why. It would require a complete overhaul of the entire light, and both things kind of go completely against the HDS philosophy IMO. It would mean that all the supposed "upgrades" over the years would probably have to be scrapped, and started from new.

Not sure about the magnetic tailcap, I think I recall a post somewhere about output being effected with magnets and manipulation. Maybe I"m mixing it up with something else. :EDIT How would you press the clicky switch? It would probably add additional length to an already very long light.

Maybe HDS has an all new model on the drawing boards.

Your argument makes me think the HDS may be at an evolutionary dead end, having created one of the best edc flashlights in the world. Perhaps there really is no other place for them to go. It argues that the creation is as good as it's going to get - which is excellent - and because of this, there can be no additional models or upgrades of any consequence for this form factor.

It almost argues that the future for HDS lies in exotic metal surrounds, perhaps a few different colored LEDs but primarily the same iterated workhorse clothed in different shiny materials largely as a collectors item.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Your argument makes me think the HDS may be at an evolutionary dead end, having created one of the best edc flashlights in the world. Perhaps there really is no other place for them to go. It argues that the creation is as good as it's going to get - which is excellent - and because of this, there can be no additional models or upgrades of any consequence for this form factor.

It almost argues that the future for HDS lies in exotic metal surrounds, perhaps a few different colored LEDs but primarily the same iterated workhorse clothed in different shiny materials largely as a collectors item.

Well, not really an argument, in that it's factually true about the limitations in regards to performance. But you summarized it well in your post, on a performance level, it's maxed out with no where to go. I have been critical of HDS, one reason being I've felt that point you described well in your post was hit long, long ago, IMO.

I might be dreaming or making stuff up, but I could have sworn I read a comment, or heard someone say there is a new model coming out. Perhaps a Youtube video? IDK.

wweiss

Enlightened
Well, not really an argument, in that it's factually true about the limitations in regards to performance. But you summarized it well in your post, on a performance level, it's maxed out with no where to go. I have been critical of HDS, one reason being I've felt that point you described well in your post was hit long, long ago, IMO.

I might be dreaming or making stuff up, but I could have sworn I read a comment, or heard someone say there is a new model coming out. Perhaps a Youtube video? IDK.

Thanks. I didn't mean argument as combative - just as debate, sorry about that. I agree with your facts.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, Henry has produced some crazy-*** bright lights as one-offs for people who paid him to do it.
There isn't any design limitation in the HDS. Thinking that actually shows how little you really know about the light.
The limitations are programmed in by design. A tweak to the programming code and the light could be overdriven to the point the battery couldn't take it and it would explode... think Olight. They killed a guy when the light blew up in his mouth. Oops.
The limitations are put in by design.
The Rotary and Tactical are dual processor networked flashlights. Show me another like that.
Remember, the HDS is purpose built. That purpose is caving. Not showing off a 2000 lumen light for the 3 seconds it can actually put that number of lumens out before it drops down rapidly, degrades the emitter, and can potentially cause problems with poop batteries people use in their lights... and that battery problem is something HDS can not control... what the end user puts in the light they got from Alibaba or Ebay.

Why aren't there Chinese coopies of the HDS? Think about that. HDS doesn't even patent anything.

As I have said before many times, the biggest critics of HDS lights are those who have never owned or used one... and usually they are the most ignorant of the design.

Latest posts